Page 1 of 2
I searched, and found a few similar threads but nothing that helped. My girlfriend is german, and i want to go to germany with her this summer. Ive also always wanted to learn a second language. so, im 16, and I have a spare block, and im thinking about taking an easy german course for corresspondance to start learning. How hard is german to learn from scratch, and how long would it take me?
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
Depending on the class, and the teacher, it can be very fun and educational. If you take a beginner course, it is very easy. It gets harder as you begin to learn the grammatical 'rules' and start learning the cases and what not. But I would do it if I were you.
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

im thinking about taking german
Fight the war, fuck the norm
Now I got no patience
So sick of complacence
With the D the E the F the I the A the N the C the E
Mind of a revolutionary
So clear the lane
...Whoever told you that is your enemy?
I learned German in school, and at the time I didn't really have an interest. However I've been trying to learn again, and it's not too difficult. It's definetly not one of the harder languages to learn, if you put in the time and work at home, you should be able to get by when you go in the summer.
My Last.FM

"The more you think, the better you're going to play. That should be a quote somewhere."
- Marty Friedman
Quote by ethan_hanus
nine, das ist nicht gut!! lol jk german is good stuff.

I believe its spelled nein
Fight the war, fuck the norm
Now I got no patience
So sick of complacence
With the D the E the F the I the A the N the C the E
Mind of a revolutionary
So clear the lane
...Whoever told you that is your enemy?
I never understand why people say they hate the German language because it's "Ugly". I'm rather quite fond of it and I think it actually pretty.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

to become fluent? it could take years. it depends how dedicated you are.

you can probably pick up enough to carry on a basic conversation before you go.

learning it really isn't too hard. i took 5 years of it in school, and i never really found it to be very difficult. most of my problems came with the grammar.

but actually going to germany will probably help you increase your skills a lot faster than just taking a class. so try your hardest to learn a lot before you go, and expect to learn a lot more while you are there.
Quote by Harmonius
I never understand why people say they hate the German language because it's "Ugly". I'm rather quite fond of it and I think it actually pretty.

I think from a man it can sound quite harsh, but from a woman I think it sounds terribly sexy.
My Last.FM

"The more you think, the better you're going to play. That should be a quote somewhere."
- Marty Friedman
I learnt it in about a year after I moved to Austria when I was 9.
Of course, I didn't ever see it as learning but rather and as a natural evolution of languages.

I'm now one of the proficent readers in my class and I'm a B student in German.

Quote by Harmonius

Gehen wir Schmetterlinge einfangen Hans-Jörg, danach fahren wir in die Kneipen einen runterkippen.

That would be: Lets go catch butterflies Hans-Jurg and then have a drink in a pub"

It isn't beautiful
Last edited by Nilpferdkoenig at Jan 13, 2009,
doiche
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
german is pretty easy to start out with to be honest. You just gotta learn how to pronounce shit and some basic structure and you're set.

It just gets fuckin ridiculous with like 8 forms of the word "the".

Ich will die Fotze deines Mutters licken.
Quote by bretws
Im a diesel truck
Quote by flattoptyce
I believe its spelled nein

Ah, ja. Du bist sehr gut Tyce, du machst mir sehr Heiss. Ja, ich machen du mein madchen.

▲ ▲

Last edited by OzarkMDaredevil at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Ah, ja. Du bist sehr gut Tias, du machst mir sehr Heiss. Ja, ich machen du mein madchen.

It makes me happy that I can understand that.
My Last.FM

- Marty Friedman
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Ah, ja. Du bist sehr gut Tias, du machst mir sehr Heiss. Ja, ich machen du mein madchen.

That doesn't make any sense.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
ein biere bitte, thats all you need to know (one beer please)

edit: lick your mothers what now?

Ein Bier bitte is correct

AH YES, my reign of grammar naziism will now begin!
Last edited by Nilpferdkoenig at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

AH YES, my reign of grammer naziism will now begin!

Oh dear, I was always terrible at the grammar.
My Last.FM

- Marty Friedman
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
That doesn't make any sense.

Sorry, I molest the German language and any grammar that goes along with it when I try to write it or speak it.

▲ ▲

Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Sorry, I molest the German language and any grammar that goes along with it when I try to write it or speak it.

I guess you were trying to say that you are gonna make him your bitch?
as far as languages go German is one of the absolute easiest for an English speaker to learn. even easier than spanish or french because it has closer ties to english. thats not to dissuade anybody from spanish or french but german is pretty much the closest living cousin english has.

the hardest are chinese, japanese, arabic, and i think maybe russian too
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
I guess you were trying to say that you are gonna make him your bitch?

Or my woman, I would've have Googled it, but instead I went with woman.

▲ ▲

Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Or my woman, I would've have Googled it, but instead I went with woman.

Just say "Du bist jetzt meine Schlampe!"
Quote by COBGage
Oh dear, I was always terrible at the grammar.

me too. i pretty much just used the correct words in whatever way made sense to me.

ok maybe not in any way that made sense to me, but i made plenty of grammatical mistakes.
I've been taking it since 10th grade (I'm a senior now) and I've found it to be pretty easy. I really like the language and would like to be able to speak it fluently, but I'm actually dropping it this semester because my teacher doesn't teach us anything.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Quote by daytripper75
me too. i pretty much just used the correct words in whatever way made sense to me.

ok maybe not in any way that made sense to me, but i made plenty of grammatical mistakes.

I used to do that aswell, it was cringe worthy trying to speak to the German asisstant. Oh well at least I attempted speech unlike the others in the class who sat doing nothing.
My Last.FM

- Marty Friedman
Quote by COBGage
I used to do that aswell, it was cringe worthy trying to speak to the German asisstant. Oh well at least I attempted speech unlike the others in the class who sat doing nothing.

yeah, i always tried at least.

apparently i was trying to speak german for like 30 mins while i was drunk one night.
^ I like to shout German stuff when I'm getting high with friends, mostly imitating a Nazi. You can make the simplest, most beautiful phrase imaginable sound like you're hell bent on killing people.

I've found German to be very similar to English. I'm in my third year of it now, so I don't know too much, but I can get along alright I guess. I really enjoy it.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Last edited by MTVget0FFtheAIR at Jan 13, 2009,
cool, thanks
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
Deutsch ist sehr, um....hard...
You see what I mean?
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.

Quote by zwound
Win

Quote by __Pent__

^^Too bad I can't do this in real life
Deutsch ist nicht zu schwer, wenn ihr alle euren Besten gebt. Ah, mein Deutsch ist schon kaputt.
-When you have eliminated all which is impossible,then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

-PRS Tremonti SE with SD SH-1 '59 (Neck) and SD Distortion (Bridge)

-Schecter C-1 Elite

-Line 6 PODXT

-Floorboard
i do german in class. its not that hard i suppose.
Hallo! Ich heisse Tim, und ich bin 6020 jahre alt, und ich liebe Ultimate-Guitar Forums...
lol i know more, but i just got home from school and cant be bothered to look in my head for germans.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Ich spreche kein Deutsch.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Don't you capitalize all the nouns? So like "This is where I go to work" would be "This is where I go to Work" or "Dies ist wohin ICH geh zu Wirken."
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Sie sollten erfahren Deutsch weil es ist ein hübsch gefaßt Programmiersprache und dieses Übersetzer herstellen es tüchtig gefällt Es ist mir bekannt welches Ich bin redend bei. I'll eingeben irgend jemand ein Kekse falls Sie kennen welches Ich bin Spruch.

A cookie to the gentleman that knows what the hell I'm saying...
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Sie sollten erfahren Deutsch weil es ist ein hübsch gefaßt Programmiersprache und dieses Übersetzer herstellen es tüchtig gefällt Es ist mir bekannt welches Ich bin redend bei. I'll eingeben irgend jemand ein Kekse falls Sie kennen welches Ich bin Spruch.

"They should learn English because something something, etc."

=/
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Do it! If you start now you'll have good basics in order to progress properly once you are in germany... and yeah it's a great language ^^

Quote by Weeping_Demon7

hm not an easy one... let's try without translating it back haha.

You should have the experience of learning german, because it's a beautiful language (why programming language?) and this translator is making it seem like i know what i'm talking about. A cookie for whoever knows what i'm saying.

Something like that? Not easy I say.
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

No they don't, and UG is proof...
Last edited by Canne at Jan 14, 2009,
Page 1 of 2