I recently dropped my guitar after the strap fell off and I'm now torn between fixing it or buying a new one. The guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Studio that I've grown quite atattched to, but when I took it in to the shop to get looked at today, the tech said it would cost around $300 to fix without any cosmetic fixing up. My parents only paid $250 for the guitar last Christmas. The tech also suggested I try to repair it myslf and he gave me some tips on how to do it. Anyways what should I do, pay to have it fixed, buy a new guitar and try to fix it myself, or buy a new guitar and not bother with trying to fix it?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Well whats wrong with it??? lol

pics of the damage please, if its just paint chips I wouldnt worry about it, if the guitar is still playable then any damage could probably be repaired by you.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I can't take any pics right now because I don't have a camera. The headstock is badly cracked in two separate places and is on the verge of snapping off.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

Id get a new one. Epis are ridiculoulsy priced now, with Studios being around $400. I would try one of the new ESP EC-256 guitars, they look tons better than the Studios, and probaby are better guitars overall.
You could probably repair a headstock snapping off senario, but if you dont have previous wood work experience then I would really leave it to a guitar tech/luthier

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
It doesn't require a lot of experience really.

By a some original tite bond and lot of clamps. Break the headstock clean off into how ever may breaks there are. Glue the braks back together one by one, by applying titebond, and clamping together as tightly as you can. Wipe off the excess squeezed out glue, and wait overnight.

Bam, insta-perfect neck.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Well the tech suggested that I just get as much glue as possible inside of the crack and clamp it up. He said that if it was broken off completely it would be a mess to try to get it to go back on right.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

^ No, you have to break it off completely so that you get glue on absolutely every surface!

If you clamp it properly (do a dry test first), then you won't need to worry about it moving around.

And remember you need to squeeze out basically all the glue when you clamp it.

It doesn't make a ton of sense but basically, you want glue to completely coat the surfaces, but then when you clamp it you want as little glue as possible in there,
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
This is probably one of the easiest repair jobs you could do.

Break it off completely, line either side of the recently broken wood with titebond. Clamp down, leave to sit for a day.

The guitar will be stronger than it was before with this repair, also.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
to make it stronger put some dowels in there, it will never snap again. i would also reccomend re painting the headstock afterwards...