I've made up a chord progression and I'm trying to work out a solo. But seeing as i know shit-all about music theory, I can't figure out what Key it's in (A seem most logical) and what scales to go off when making the solo.

e--0----0----0-------
B--0----0----0-------
G--2----5----5-------
D--2----5----4-------
A--0----0----0-------
E---------------------

I would appreciate any help :]
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Could you tell me the names of the chords for future reference
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
The key is Em, but if you keep on playing it like this (looping) it implies A Dorian.

The chords are Asus2 - Amin9 - Am6add9.

If you make it Asus2 - Amin9 - Am6add9 - D then start back over, the progression is a stronger A Dorian progression.

Theory behind the D chord I added;
This is because it makes it IV - i. Usually V - I is stronger, but Em is the 5th chord relative to A, which would overpower Dorian, because a minor key is stronger, thus I chose D.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
The key is Em, but if you keep on playing it like this (looping) it implies A Dorian.

The chords are Asus2 - Amin9 - Am6add9.

If you make it Asus2 - Amin9 - Am6add9 - D then start back over, the progression is a stronger A Dorian progression.

Theory behind the D chord I added;
This is because it makes it IV - i. Usually V - I is stronger, but Em is the 5th chord relative to A, which would overpower Dorian, because a minor key is stronger, thus I chose D.
What he means is, play G major/E minor over it. But, technically it's a modal progression and calling it Gmajor or Eminor is technically wrong.

Follow his advice about the D chord though, it's good advice.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
What he means is, play G major/E minor over it. But, technically it's a modal progression and calling it Gmajor or Eminor is technically wrong.

Follow his advice about the D chord though, it's good advice.

Yup yup thx for adding to it.

Although stylistically I'd change the D chord into D6add9 (no5th) and the Asus2 in Am. This is aurally more pleasing and is easier on the leaps for all voices of the previous chords, while still keeping the root movement (D - A)

The (4th) chord below is the D6add9(no5th)

Bolded is the notes which i'd change, but you don't listen to me, because it's ur progression. I'm just giving a suggestion.

Nevertheless; Try playing the below progression and solo over it. You can get pretty cool licks.

The progression is totally made of notes from E minor pentatonic yet you can use Am pentatonic + A blues scale over it without it sounding out of place.

Anyways try it out; Scales that work are A Dorian, Am pentatonic, A blues scale and E Blues scale.

e--0----0----0----[B]0[/B]--|
B--[B]1[/B]----0----0----[B]0[/B]--|
G--2----5----5----[B]7[/B]--|
D--2----5----4----[B]4[/B]--|
A--0----0----0----[B]5[/B]--|
E--------------------|

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 14, 2009,
Wow, thanks guys, I'll try all this out
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.