I started playing bass about a month ago. Right now, I know a few songs and a few scales and whatnot. I've been playing Police And Thieves by The Clash, Train in Vain by The Clash, and Blister in the Sun by the violent femmes. So what would you label me as?
Is this what you want?
....you labeled me, I labeled you, so I dub thee unforgiven......

but seriously, I would agree with Skierinanutshel, you are a bassist that can play.
Labels are for soup cans.
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
Quote by TagRingo
Labels are for soup cans.

Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
^but its quite true. And even soup cans labels can be misleading.

I am trying to get the point of this thread. Are you trying to gauge what level you are at? Be aware that every one progresses at different rates and what you may find as a challenging song, I may not and visa versa. Its all relative. If you're happy with the way you are progressing...i.e you are better than yesterday but not as good as you'll be tomorrow--you're doing OK.

From what little info you've given--you're a bass player and you like punk/alternative music.
^your sig is priceless
EDIT: damnit, two up
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
anarkee ftw with first real serious post

it's best to label yourself man..not anyone else...challenge yourself to get a better label on your back
Last edited by slap-a-bass at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by Sursomsatan
A beginner.

I kinda wanna give you a -1, for some reason.

Unless you're some douche who thinks he can play better than anyone else and is the greatest thing to ever pick up this Godly intrument known as the bass, you're just like all of us, no labels.

You don't need a label when you're the member of the band that gets the most chicks. Seriously, people just PRETEND to like guitarists.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Threadstarter, I label you as insecure.

Quote by Cody_Grey102
Unless you're some douche who thinks he can play better than anyone else and is the greatest thing to ever pick up this Godly intrument known as the bass, you're just like all of us, no labels.

This way of thinking killed the music business. That way of thinking got people to say "Amy Winehouse doesn't suck" or "Akon has talent". But by that same token, you probably think the music business is all fine and dandy! Anyone who would rank someone lower than anyone else hears "can you do better!?" and someone who does do better hears "you're wanking".
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Jan 13, 2009,
It is impossible to rate you without hearing you play. For all we know you could be butchering every one of those songs you listed. I can also "play" Pagannini's 24th caprice on violin and I've never touched one in my life. Label yourself.
Hahah...wow. That came out wrong. I should of gave more info. I'm signing up for some lessons and the receptionist lady asked me what skill level I was. So...What *Skill* level would you say I am?
Is this what you want?
Quote by MarshallMadness
Hahah...wow. That came out wrong. I should of gave more info. I'm signing up for some lessons and the receptionist lady asked me what skill level I was. So...What *Skill* level would you say I am?

Beginner. And then let your teacher decide where you're at according to their program.
Well at a month there's no way you're anything but a beginner, but going for scales is a good thing. A lot of people just learn root notes.
Nope, no sig here.
A tool for asking to be labeled. Tool...

haha jus jokin
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Sound like a beginner to me, boy. It's not about what songs by other people you can play in my opinion, it's about how well you understand the bass and that takes time. Stop thinking about why you are and instead think of who you are, that is more important
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
i label you a mountain goat
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Casketcreep
You come under the label of 'wanabee alternative'.
Ironically one of the biggest labels.

ooh i like this game

do me next
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
i label you a mountain goat

I'm mcraddict, and I approve this message
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

You're just starting, don't worry about labels.

Quote by skater dan0
ooh i like this game

do me next

That's what she said!

and sigged.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
Quote by skater dan0
ooh i like this game

do me next

Yeah, me too. Clearly I don't come up often enough in forum.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
when playing bass, you want to master every label, not just one kind
Quote by filthandfury
What if I accidentally wee in her?

When I arrive will God be waiting and pacing around his throne?
Will he feel a little Old Testament?
And will he celebrate with fire and brimstone
Yeah, I admit, I am afraid of the reckoning
search up a bunch of tabs on the site using advanced search. search out begginers, intermediate, and expert tabs. Look at em, and if you think you can play most of one type, call urself that.
And for everyone who jumped down the TS's throat over his question; stop preaching, cause its not helping anyone.

Current Gear
Schecter Stiletto Elite-5LH
Dean E09L
Line 6 LD15
^an idiot who likes posting things said already. so a blind idiot.
Quote by thefitz
Yeah, me too. Clearly I don't come up often enough in forum.

a paramecium infused with Francium.

TS is a nervous booger. people like you lost the USA the first half of the American Civil War.

relax and just charge into it. that's how you make the right mistakes and miss the wrong answers. that's how you develop.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Why would you care what we think on a silly forum? Use your time to practice, and stop worrying about how good/not good you are. All the best to you.
Quote by lefty01
Why would you care what we think on a silly forum? Use your time to practice, and stop worrying about how good/not good you are. All the best to you.

he cares because we're all exceptionally cool and he wants a piece of the action
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle