So, after 2-3 months of practiceing chromatic scales on a regular basis, usually as a warm up or if im sitting on the toilet and i wanna work on my speed I'll just do them, my speed and dexterity have certainly improved. HOWEVER, after reading several instructional pages ect, ive realized that I've been doing them poorly. I usually keep my fingers over an inch away from the board, press down, then move the finger away again ect, and then i realized if i really want to get fast, i have to learn to keep all my fingers really close and control each one when it is its turn to push down. blah.

Anyways, I have a question. If you are doing chromatic runs, especially incorporating them in scales ect. and u are shredding past the 12 fret, should you use your pinky as well? I have a epiphone LP and its really hard getting my whole hand up in the smaller fret region but if its recommended ill do it...
Always use your pinky, especially if you want to shred. Otherwise, you'll really hinder yourself once you get so fast.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Okay and one more question: If I'm doing chromatics and going up the scale, should I put one finger down on a note and keep it there even when the note one half step above it is picked until all 4 fingers are in a row? And when going in reverse, place them all down and pull one off at a time and pick?
Yes, leave your fingers on the fret because when you move down to the next string you will be close to the fretboard.

Don't worry about doing that in reverse though.
Okay superb. Thank you. Oh, and one other thing i realized. When playing up on the smaller frets past 12, do u still stick to one finger per fret for 4 frets in a row? Or does one branch out a bit?
I generally use a half step or a whole step in between finger on the higher frets because then you are usually playing licks that require pull offs that are like the 20th to the 15th fret or wider.

It depends on the song really.
Quote by MedicreDemon
Yes, leave your fingers on the fret because when you move down to the next string you will be close to the fretboard.

Don't worry about doing that in reverse though.

I would say leave as many fingers on as much as you can.

In fact, when you're ascending it is not so necessary, but when your descending the ability to only need to lift off a finger instead of lifting one off and putting one down will be very useful.
Quote by Watterboy
Okay and one more question: If I'm doing chromatics and going up the scale, should I put one finger down on a note and keep it there even when the note one half step above it is picked until all 4 fingers are in a row? And when going in reverse, place them all down and pull one off at a time and pick?
No. Definitely not.

You want to move one finger at a time only as it will build finger indepenence - no tension in any other finger.
Also, when you move your finger away, the word move is probably incorrect; you should really just let it RELAX back in to the ready position.
Last edited by ChrisN at Jan 14, 2009,