I hear the phrase "scooping the mids" alot when it comes to certain pedals and what not. What exactly does this mean? what kind of sound is produced by scooping the mids?

Matt
lowering the mids, and it gives a thin sound, but can help in some genre's of music. If you want to know what a scooped sound is then listen to any Metallica song
Quote by Ghold125
lowering the mids, and it gives a thin sound, but can help in some genre's of music. If you want to know what a scooped sound is then listen to any Metallica song

meh, people often think that metallica scoops their mids a lot more than they actually did, especially considering they used JCM800's and Mark IV's. and justice for all was pretty scooped though.

anyways, try it out yourself, on your amp. its just cuting out midrange frequencies, and its called scooping because on a graphic EQ, when you cut out the mid freqencies, it looks like theyve been "scooped" out. it gives you a hollow sound, and on certain amps, it can give you a very heavy crunchy sound. use it sparingly though, in a band situation, you wont be able to cut through the mix unless you have a good amount of mids
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Well, Metallica isn't super scooped, buy they do have a scooped tone at least compared to mine. Then again some of the albums did vary. And, and justice for all was pretty much the biggest example, but then again it was just horribly recorded
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
meh, people often think that metallica scoops their mids a lot more than they actually did, especially considering they used JCM800's and Mark IV's. and justice for all was pretty scooped though.

Dimebag scooped his mids and his tone was brutal. He actually scooped his mids with one pedal and boosted them with another, confusing but it worked quite well if you ask me. This was in a guitar world article I read where they interviewed Dime's guitar tech.
Quote by Say Ocean
Dime's tone sucked. So did Metallicas.

+1 Dime's tone was terrible. He was an awesome guitarist but he had terribly shrill tone. Metallicas is good on some albums and absolutely horrible on some so it just kind of depends what you're listening to. I've also heard EJ scoops his mids, not much but some to make his tone a bit smoother. I've tried it and it does make it a bit smoother but you have to turn up louder when playing with a band, which doesn't matter for him since his Marshalls are already on 10. I think Stevie used to the same thing. A lot of guitarists I know slightly scoop the mids on the clean tone but usually have them at least slightly boosted to cut through with distortion.
Quote by Say Ocean
Scooping when you're playing blues with a strat into a midheavy amp, or on the clean channel is a LOT different than scooping your high gain tone.

Yea but I didn't see anything to do with metal in the original post so I thought I would just throw it in there in case he played something else.
no. dimebags playing did not make it sound great. his tone still sucked and will always suck.
My band.
www.myspace.com/bransonny

My gear.
Marshall: JCM800 2205, 6100, 1960AV
H&K: Triamp MKII, Duotone
Mesa: Recto recording pre, 212
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
Gibson: LP std, SG std, SG goth, SG spec
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
Quote by some_dude_2

Mark series work differently. Thats actually quite a lot of mids for that amp.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65

Correct... The Q point of the eq is NOT the same as most other amps. Most noobs are totally clueless in this regard.
Quote by some_dude_2

yeah, but dude, have you ever played a mark IV? i mean, john petrucci supposedly scoops his mids on his, but hes not known to have a scooped sound, because he doesnt really
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by mostly I hate u
Dimebag scooped his mids and his tone was brutal. He actually scooped his mids with one pedal and boosted them with another, confusing but it worked quite well if you ask me. This was in a guitar world article I read where they interviewed Dime's guitar tech.

He actually boosted the hell out of his amps with the eq pedal by mid boosting. Then he scooped them out at the amp and then went in and fixed the mix with a parametric eq. And to add his tone was far from mid scooped.

And you never know what someone is running in there rack or so forth so you cant just say hey this band scoops there mids on there amp there tone sucks. If the tone sucks it sucks its not always so pronounced as scooped mids. Hell most people cant tell what a scooped mids tone even sounds like. They just assume...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by dcdossett65

It's alot of mids if you ran the mids knob high. James used to zero his, then scoop further on the graphic. At some time someone must have taught him to run the mids knob up higher, because he started running the mids slider at zero around the AJFA era.

Quote by zachman5150
Correct... The Q point of the eq is NOT the same as most other amps. Most noobs are totally clueless in this regard.

Ever used one?

Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
yeah, but dude, have you ever played a mark IV?

Nope.

Last edited by some_dude_2 at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by some_dude_2
It's alot of mids if you ran the mids knob high. James used to zero his, then scoop further on the graphic. At some time someone must have taught him to run the mids knob up higher, because he started running the mids slider at zero around the AJFA era.

Yup, his explanation was thats where he thought that is where he should sit in the mix "Fighting with the bass player" and because "the smilie face EQ made him smile". And what made him see the light was "Bob is such a great bass player-was to get the width of my sound concentrated a little more, and boosting the mids helped." But he states he still doesnt like to over boost the mids because the bass takes his low end and the hi hats takes his highs and he is left with a honky midrange that sounds like a megaphone..

"example" <- in his own words..
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jan 14, 2009,