Hey there, I've got a question about using a particular scale to solo over songs of various genres.

For rock/pop songs in A major, I can use the A major / F# minor pentatonic to solo over them. And for blues in A major, I can use the A minor pentatonic scale over it...so what scales can/should I use over jazz in A major?

Thanks a lot!
mixolydian(b7th)
blues (minor Pentatonic with b5th)
alot of arpegios like 1b3 5 b7 and throw the two and 6 in there somewhere. sound pretty cool. im still a beginner but i sound pretty good when i do stuff like that.
Last edited by amason51 at Jan 13, 2009,
Sorry that question doesn't make sense to me. What is jazz is A major? If you mean a jazz tune in the key of A major, well it depends on the chord progression. You can't just rely on one scale/key center in jazz because key centers are often times always shifting. If you want an actual answer you are going to need to be more specific than jazz in A major.
12 fret fury
jazz in a major doesn't mean its a7 chord all the way through, it could be a I IV V progression in a major which means it's based off of a major. so you play the I which is the root then the IV which is the D then the V which is E
Quote by dominicsoh
so what scales can/should I use over jazz in A major?
It doesn't really work like that in jazz. It can, but most jazz guys view that approach as nooby.

Alot of jazzers "play the changes." Read mark levines jazz theory book, which I'm sure you can find a great price if you search in google |"jazz theory book" rapidshare|. Make sure you know your basice theory first (read the crusade articles).
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
Read mark levines jazz theory book, which I'm sure you can find a great price if you search in google |"jazz theory book" rapidshare|
I downloaded it, read a bit, felt guilty, and then bought it. 52 bucks! It's a great book though.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by ramm_ty
I downloaded it, read a bit, felt guilty, and then bought it. 52 bucks! It's a great book though.
I downloaded it, looked in my empty wallet, realised knowledge should be free, read some more.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
I downloaded it, looked in my empty wallet, realised knowledge should be free, read some more.

So you think everyone who writes books should give them away for free?

Ahhhhhhhhh.........must..........not............start............argument.......
There are musicians who prefer jazz blues guitars. Music is loved by all. But if you want to be a musician you must have the right instruments. Blues music had a huge impact on the world's musicians. Many have their grounding in this genre. But they went on to develop a sound that is uniquely their own. Yet the uniqueness of blues is unmistakable when listening to their songs. Because blues is a style of music you can use either an acoustic or electric guitar when playing.
There is a close link between the musician and his jazz blues guitars. Music is different because of styles and also because each musician is unique. You can have the same guitar but every musician will play it their own way. There are guitars used by famous and loved musicians that sell for huge sums of money. It's not the instrument that holds the value, it's the musician who owned and played it. This style of music is emotional and there is a close personal connection between the musician and his blues guitars. Music takes on the personality of the person who is playing it.
It is an exciting event when musicians buy their first jazz blues guitars. Music is the universal language and it has the same impact on all of us. The instrument you choose is one that will be expressing your ability and your interpretation of the blues such as jazz. If you are a beginner, you will need training before you can use your guitar for jazz. 50Blues.com is the website where you can get all the information you want regarding musical training in the different blues styles. If you have a special feeling for jazz blues you will find this site is for you. It also offers you a course that uses a unique system to get you playing in a very short time.