So im interested in gooding relatively cood at tremolo picking. Mainly open strings and single notes. My first question is is that still considered a tremolo pick? say if you go up and down 10 times on open e? Whats the best way to practice getting accurate trem between beets? If any of you are familiar with killswith engage's My Curse, about 1/2 way through song they do some trem picking on the open low C followed by a lil catchy lick. Mainly I'm looking for a way to compose my own but I can't even trem pick that quick accurate enough to see if it sounds fits what I'm playing. I'm confused on the count if I'm patting my foot to a 1 and 2 and 3 how do i put a dadadadadadadadadada in betweet without getting off beat.
Last edited by rebel624 at Jan 13, 2009,
Take a metronome and set it to a comfortable speed. Star by alternate picking on the clicks, then split them in half. Then split them into fourths, 8ths, etc. That's how you subdivide, and a metronome is invaluable. You'll get better with time and practice. That's all there is to it.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Yes it still would be in my books.
The best way for me to practice it is to get the rhythm down first w/o the palm mutes and then work on the palm mutes.
A good way for me to get the rhythm down in general is to listen to the riff over and over and over again.
Hope this helps
The gun in my mouth was real.
And the taste?
for me it came with time. like, practicin some august burns red or becoming the archetype helped me with trmemolo picking on higher strings. study as blood runs black, too. and these guys are all in drop C (CGCFAD). if youre into em (i am) the black dahlia murder does alot of trem stuff, but theyre in Cstandard (CFBbEbGC)
Its Just Get Used To Tremelo Picking.
If You Keep Practicing you will get it.
A For Making Up Your Own Stuff Its The Same
As Making Up In'y Other Lick.check out muse - knights of cydonia
That Should Help With What Two Do With It.Hope This Helps [but probly not.]
i had the same problem a while ago. What you have to do is use a metronome. http://www.metronomeonline.com/ is probably the best online one. What you do is set it to idk 70 bpm to start. Then you can tap your foot and play 4 notes per tick. If you cant do it accurately then slow it down. Then once you find a comfortable tempo, stick to it for like 10 minutes and really concentrate on hitting every stoke cleanly and evenly. Next bump the tempo up so you cannot play it cleanly, but try your best at it for a few minutes. Then drop it down until you find another comfortable level. This new comfort level should be higher than your first. From there you repeat.
Make sure you practice this way every day, and you will be making big improvements.
i know its a hassle to use a metronome but once u get in the habit it is so helpful.
Also, HAVE FUN WITH IT
Last edited by foxygrandpa at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by strat0blaster
Take a metronome and set it to a comfortable speed. Star by alternate picking on the clicks, then split them in half. Then split them into fourths, 8ths, etc. That's how you subdivide, and a metronome is invaluable. You'll get better with time and practice. That's all there is to it.

When u say this do you meen double the amount of notes between each beat? For instance. If I played 4 while saying 1 and, I should attempt to raise it to 6 or 8? or you meen split the clicks in half? so instead of having 2 clicks i will have 2, 2 clicks? Wow thats confusing. Ok my math skills arent helping me although I feel a understanding.
Last edited by rebel624 at Jan 13, 2009,
Learning how to play lead guitar is an art and it can only be mastered using some of the most important and advanced techniques like string bending and tremolo picking among many others.

The most important part of playing the lead guitar is playing it well and using the various techniques to your advantage without going out of tune. Guitar techniques come into picture only in the advanced stages.

The tremolo or the whammy bar as many call it is a useful tool when it comes to lead guitar techniques and can bring out a distorted sound that is common in hard rock or heavy metal bands like Metallica, Megadeth and Dreamtheater. Some of the other lead guitar techniques include doing the slide and string bending.
Quote by rebel624
When u say this do you meen double the amount of notes between each beat? For instance. If I played 4 while saying 1 and, I should attempt to raise it to 6 or 8? or you meen split the clicks in half? so instead of having 2 clicks i will have 2, 2 clicks? Wow thats confusing. Ok my math skills arent helping me although I feel a understanding.

first it looks like
click click click click
0-------0------0------0-------------

then to subdivide, it would look like

click click click click
0---0---0---0--0--0---0---0--------

It's just splitting the time in half and putting a note on the beat and at the mid point between beats.

Remember though - this is just a drill/exercise - it's not a teaching tool for you to learn to play solos - it's just a way for you to enhance your technique. Like stated (wisely) above, learning to play lead is a skill that comes from feel and experience, as well as technique. If it lacks any of those, it'll sound thin and hollow. Just gotta jump in and keep working at it.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Jan 14, 2009,