Hello,
I seem to have a bit of a problem. I have a great book for guitar, but i cannot seem to find a motive to force myself to learn theory. I can read tablature and feel that i have developed a dead end in my music both in originals and in playing covers. Can somebody tell me what I can do in order to reverse all the terrible damage I have done? I feel like I should be expanding as a musician more than I am at this pace.
Im not sure if im gonna gelp you in any way, but sometimes youve gotta wait for inspiration. Take a break from guitar for a while (but dont forget about it!), and start playing again when youve got an urge to play. Works for me on piano.
Quote by amaranth_todd
Im not sure if im gonna gelp you in any way, but sometimes youve gotta wait for inspiration. Take a break from guitar for a while (but dont forget about it!), and start playing again when youve got an urge to play. Works for me on piano.

I wish i could but it is kind of a daily obsession type thing as of this point. Lyric writing has replaced writing stories also for me. What can i do?
Quote by 1120
I wish i could but it is kind of a daily obsession type thing as of this point. Lyric writing has replaced writing stories also for me. What can i do?

Do you have a guitar teacher? Because if you dont my suggestion is to go and find one.
I used to have a guitar teacher but finances wouldn't allow me to have one anymore...
Removing stuck contact lens can be difficult. Removing stuck contact lens can also be uncomfortable.

If you have a problem removing stuck contact lens, do not panic. Removing stuck contact lens can be relatively easy if you remain calm and have a plan.

Begin removing stuck contact lens by washing your hands and make sure the drain in the sink is closed. Put your index finger on your lower eyelid and pull the eyelid down. Continue removing stuck contact lens by touching the lower edge of the contact lens with the tip of a finger. Try removing stuck contact lens by looking up and trying to slide the lens down toward the white of your eye.

Removing stuck contact lens at this point can be tricky if it is truly stuck. Try looking up and holding the lens under your index finger. Move your thumb and try to compress the lens carefully between your thumb and index finger. Removing stuck contact lens may become rather aggravating so use some patience and try a few re-wetting drops.
When you are removing stuck contact lens and you wear hard contacts you can try using a plunger. You will not have any luck removing stuck contact lens if they are the soft variety.
Back to removing stuck contact lens of the hard variety with a plunger. This works well and is very effective. You moisten the cup of the plunger and place it right on top of the lens. The lens should be easily removed because it will stick to the plunger. Removing stuck contact lens this way usually is the best plan.
When you have soft contacts, removing stuck contact lens is a little trickier. You have to use your fingers and just keep lubricating your eye.
Removing stuck contact lens is not much fun but it can be done. If you really have a serious problem removing stuck contact lens, contact your ophthalmologist.
*reported*^

To TS;

THe answer is this, if you learn that, you can broaden your musical knowledge. If you feel like you have to force urself, then don't do it.

Making music is a choice, do something else if you need to force it.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Lol does that valmpone guy just post random how-to's? XD

Anyway, learning theory will help your songwriting and improvising a lot, which will get you out of that dead end. That's some pretty good motivation eh? =)
Instead of just trying to learn theory generally, which is a huge topic, why don't you just pick a little bit to focus on that you think will help you? Like, instead of saying you're gonna learn theory say you're gonna learn how major scales work, and don't worry about anything else til you've got that down - then you can incorporate what you've learnt into your playing before you tackle something else. That way you're only doing manageable chunks and you'll be able to see the impact of what you've learnt so you'll feel like yolu've achieved something, instead of just learning it for the sake of it... sorry that turned into a bit of a ramble hehe
Quote by 1120
Hello,
I seem to have a bit of a problem. I have a great book for guitar, but i cannot seem to find a motive to force myself to learn theory. I can read tablature and feel that i have developed a dead end in my music both in originals and in playing covers. Can somebody tell me what I can do in order to reverse all the terrible damage I have done? I feel like I should be expanding as a musician more than I am at this pace.

You haven't done any "terrible damage". Where "to find a motive" is inside
yourself. So that's where to look. Inspiration is "in the spirit". Generally people
wait for this to "happen" to them, but spirit is something you HAVE. You only
need to wake up to it.

You have to make some effort on your own to do this. It's possible to have help
doing this, but it is unlikely to come from an internet forum.
Thank You for all your responses everyone, this has helped me a lot.