Hey there,

So im a guitar player myself and know little to nothing about bass gear. A friend of mine has been playing bass for a little while now and is looking to get a "decent" rig going. Decent meaning the best possible in his budget which is 500 US dollars.

I think right now something with versatility will suit him well. Hes looking for a bass and amp within that range, and hes willing to go used as well. Any suggestions, im trying to help him out. THanks!

EDIT: as for the amp. something with enough wattage for small gigs as well. im thinking 100 watts plus if possible..
Last edited by Ekim423 at Jan 13, 2009,
for small gigs, you want 100 watts plus. Bass amps typically need to double the wattage of the solid state guitar amps that they are playing with. (You can also usually get by with 3/2 times the wattage of the guitar)
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
You're not gonna get much better than beginner gear with 500 dollars.
Bass to look at:
Squier P-bass
Squier Jazz Bass
Ibanez GSR200

Amps to look at:

Acoustic B-100
ACoustic B-200
SWR LA15
Ashdown Five-Fifteen
Ashdown Electric Blue 15-180

Other Things to Remember

1) Don't be a afraid to go used. Check Ebay, Craigslist, pawnshops, everywhere. You could proabably score some better gear that way.

2)Avoid the temptation to go with Behringer. The huge wattages will tempt you. But they are simplely terrible. DON'T DO IT.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Jan 14, 2009,
Ibanez GSR200
Acoustic B200

modern clean, crisp, even sound, very solid for playing, it's gonna be the loudest you'll get with that price range.

he should also get a gig bag and cord, I suggest Roadrunner and Monster, respectively.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Mutant Corn
The BA115 isn't the best choice if he's wanting wattage...the best one I can thing of is the Ashdown MAG 300 210 combo. It's 180W, but he can add a cab (prolly a 115) to it later and make a 300W stack that will last him quite a while.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C210T300-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485033

yeah that does look better..and it's under 500..or well.. is 500
Oh crap, I missed the part where he needed a bass too.

In that range, used is the best way to go, but if not I'd say for the amp either get a CarvinBR15 or an Acoustic B200 combo.

As for the bass, the cheapest bass they have on musician's friend that's really worth playing is the Ibanez GSR200, but that puts you over budget with both amps...hmm. If not the amp, I'd say at least go used with the bass. The best thing I know to do is try and find an old USA Peavey. A Foundation is a good choice. They sound like a Jazz Bass on steroids. Any one will work though, and they're all good basses. The same goes for their amps, if you find one. The ones with the rough black covering and silver striped on the side are the older ones, and they not only sound good but are built to survive a nuclear holocaust.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Jan 15, 2009,
Quote by slap-a-bass
yeah definitely stay above 100 watts for small gigs..try an ampeg BA115 for now..that should serve your purpose for now

i have this, awesome 100w bass amp!

get a squier bass, if your looking for a cheap bass to play, very cheap and the more recently it was made the better it will sound.. and when your friend gets enough money he can upgrade to some Seymour Duncan pick ups and a BadassII bridge
Quote by filthandfury
What if I accidentally wee in her?

When I arrive will God be waiting and pacing around his throne?
Will he feel a little Old Testament?
And will he celebrate with fire and brimstone
Yeah, I admit, I am afraid of the reckoning
Quote by Captain Insano

2)Avoid the temptation to go with Behringer. The huge wattages will tempt you. But they are simplely terrible. DON'T DO IT.

FYI: Behringers catch on fire...
Quote by filthandfury

Quote by Mutant Corn
The BA115 isn't the best choice if he's wanting wattage...the best one I can thing of is the Ashdown MAG 300 210 combo. It's 180W, but he can add a cab (prolly a 115) to it later and make a 300W stack that will last him quite a while.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C210T300-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485033

i play gigs with the BA115, it has the Direct line output so you can put it in the PA if your playing a large venue.. it gets loud enough, trust me, and you can never go wrong with Ampeg

BTW its all about Quality (sound), Not Quantity (wattage)
Quote by filthandfury