Poll: What should I make?
Poll Options
View poll results: What should I make?
Gibson Explorer w/ a Painted Finish (specify color)
62 40%
Jackson Kelly w/ a Painted Finish (specify color)
37 24%
Gibson Explorer w/ a Wood Finish (specify wood)
63 41%
Jackson Kelly w/ a Wood Finish (specify wood)
27 18%
Voters: 154.
Page 1 of 3
hello, i am planning to build a guitar for next semester of my wood class. This will be my third build. I am putting the final touches on my second build (thread coming soon), and i have to start planning my third build. The problem is i am torn between 2 guitars, I'm not sure whether to make a Jackson Kelly or a Gibson Explorer. I am also torn between painting it or using a wood finish. As for wood, im pretty open to suggestions as long as it isn't plywood or particle board.

just in case you dont know what they look like, here are my choices:

an Explorer:

or a Kelly:

im going to put up a poll, so be sure to vote, or just reply, thanks
Quote by RU Experienced?
See the FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU- thread, he's a God amongst men.

^^ about me

Confucius once say: "Women is like jazz music, 3/4 jazz time, 1/4 ragtime."

This is my sig, get over it. ಠ_ಠ
I would say Explorer. Kellies are a little to intense for me.

EDIT: With wood finish, 5A flame maple.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Explorer with a red-to-orange/yellow 'burst' quilted maple top Not sure if you're able to do that at the level you're at, but it would be awesome.

Edit: This finish but on an explorer
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Jan 13, 2009,
kelly, spalted top.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
hey dude I think it would be awesome if you did a Jackson Kelly with maybe Spalted Maple? Something really cool and gnarled looking. Like the Esp fx-400
Quote by Øttər
I would say Explorer. Kellies are a little to intense for me.

EDIT: With wood finish, 5A flame maple.

Quote by whatadrag
hey dude I think it would be awesome if you did a Jackson Kelly with maybe Spalted Maple? Something really cool and gnarled looking. Like the Esp fx-400

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Explorer with a red-to-orange/yellow 'burst' quilted maple top Not sure if you're able to do that at the level you're at, but it would be awesome.

are they expensive? I dont want to spend too much on the wood, or is there somewhere i could get it for a cheaper price, because im not sure but i think my woodshop teacher over charges for the wood, he charged me $50 for some cherry wood with 4 walnut and 2 Beech stripes (my second build).
Quote by RU Experienced?

^^ about me

Last edited by xyz66 at Jan 13, 2009,
It depends on how figured it is...

The 5A flame maple I suggested would probably be upwards of $100 for a piece enough for an explorer.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
spalted will usually be way cheaper
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Quote by Øttər
It depends on how figured it is...

The 5A flame maple I suggested would probably be upwards of $100 for a piece enough for an explorer.

hmm, where do they sell it? and is there anywhere i could get it for less? oh, and is there a less expensive wood that looks good?

Quote by metalwarrior40
spalted will usually be way cheaper

really? where at?
Quote by RU Experienced?

^^ about me

Last edited by xyz66 at Jan 13, 2009,
Maybe ask LP Addict.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
same place you would get flame and quilted maple.. your local lumber yard/store.

My place carries all three, if they don't see if you have them order some in for you.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Quote by metalwarrior40
same place you would get flame and quilted maple.. your local lumber yard/store.

My place carries all three, if they don't see if you have them order some in for you.

well i found 2 listings on ebay

one is for curly/flamed maple
(1x7x21) (TxWxL)
2 pieces
http://tinyurl.com/flamed-curly-maple

the other is quilted maple
2 pieces
(7/8 x 8 5/8x 21 1/8) (TxWxL)
(15/16 x 10 1/2 x 20 3/4) (TxWxL)
http://tinyurl.com/quilted-maple

which one do you think i should use?

edit: i haven't found a good piece of spalted

double edit: Please dont be a jerk and bid on them

thanks
Quote by RU Experienced?

^^ about me

I think quilted would suit an explorer better, if you go the wood route, put a transparent color on it, like a consistent gold or red.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
i found a nice peace of AAAA flamed maple for a pretty cheap price

i think i might use it, the only downside is that its 3/4" thick, so imma need another type of wood for the back, i'm thinking alder maybe?

as for a finish, i'd still need a colour/finish (transparent of course)
Quote by RU Experienced?

^^ about me

Last edited by xyz66 at Jan 14, 2009,
those maple tops are ment to be tops. You have a solid hardwood for the body (mahogany, alder, ash just to name a few) And then the maple top on top of it.
Quote by guitarcam123
those maple tops are ment to be tops. You have a solid hardwood for the body (mahogany, alder, ash just to name a few) And then the maple top on top of it.

hmm, would since an explorer is 1 1/2" thick, would a 3/4" maple top and a 3/4" alder bottom work out?
Quote by RU Experienced?

^^ about me

I love the look of blue stain with a black burst around the edges. freakin awesome.
Maybe you could do that, or something similar?
Quote by xyz66
hmm, would since an explorer is 1 1/2" thick, would a 3/4" maple top and a 3/4" alder bottom work out?

Well, normally the top is a lot (proportionally) thinner than the bulk of the body. If you take a Les Paul, for instance, as an example; the binding is there to hide the join between the top and the base to make the guitar more aesthetically-pleasing. Now if you imaging how thin the binding is on a guitar (maybe 1/2" at the most) that should give you an idea of the difference in thickness between the top layer and the base wood.

At least that's my understanding of the construction of it, I may be wrong when it comes to other guitars.

Edit: Oh, and Mahogany is a good base wood for the body - even if it does weight a ton!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Jan 14, 2009,
Gibson Explorer with a natural finish, maybe solid mahogany, oiled and waxed?

Also, I'd do a more Jackson or ESP-esque headstock; IMO the headstock on a Gibson Explorer is OK but it isn't as nice looking as the ones mentioned. But, it's your guitar, do whatever you want to it
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Well, normally the top is a lot (proportionally) thinner than the bulk of the body. If you take a Les Paul, for instance, as an example; the binding is there to hide the join between the top and the base to make the guitar more aesthetically-pleasing. Now if you imaging how thin the binding is on a guitar (maybe 1/2" at the most) that should give you an idea of the difference in thickness between the top layer and the base wood.

At least that's my understanding of the construction of it, I may be wrong when it comes to other guitars.

Edit: Oh, and Mahogany is a good base wood for the body - even if it does weight a ton!

yeah i know, but what im asking is would it work? i'm not going to put binding on it, because i found a nice big piece thats 3/4" thick for $15, and then i found some bookmatched flamed maple for $30, and its only 7 mm thick, so i was thinking of just getting the 3/4" thick piece and using it, and for a bottom, some alder, to sort of cancel out the weight, you get me, and i wanna know if it'd work out.

Quote by kenan6346
Gibson Explorer with a natural finish, maybe solid mahogany, oiled and waxed?

Also, I'd do a more Jackson or ESP-esque headstock; IMO the headstock on a Gibson Explorer is OK but it isn't as nice looking as the ones mentioned. But, it's your guitar, do whatever you want to it

hmm, well i do have a bolt on jackson style neck lying around, its 24 frets, rosewood fretboard, maple neck, sharkfin Inlays, so i might
Quote by RU Experienced?

^^ about me

Last edited by xyz66 at Jan 14, 2009,
definitely use the Jackson neck, it will make it easier and is already cool looking, and feels alright too.
Quote by xyz66

if you did this with a warmer wood, like mahogany, it would no doubt share attributes of both woods... I like the concept of this, might be worth bassmaking with MEC's to actually get real concrete tone.

I think it would look nice too.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by xyz66
i found a nice peace of AAAA flamed maple for a pretty cheap price

i think i might use it, the only downside is that its 3/4" thick, so imma need another type of wood for the back, i'm thinking alder maybe?

as for a finish, i'd still need a colour/finish (transparent of course)

my vote goes for mahagony.

with an all rosewood neck.
Natural finish Explorer.

Wood: Whatever tone wood you want, and a spalted maple cap, or Hawaiian Koa.

Black/chrome hardware on the maple, Gold on the Koa
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I voted Explorer, but if you're open to suggestions, you should DEFINITELY do an Ibanez Destroyer syle guitar.

I'm never fussy about finish; a good painted finish is just as good as a good natural one. But that guitar looks like sex, so I'd say go for a figured maple sunburst top.

Or just do Explorer. But Destroyer=Sex
Quote by Rock Pig
I voted Explorer, but if you're open to suggestions, you should DEFINITELY do an Ibanez Destroyer syle guitar.

I'm never fussy about finish; a good painted finish is just as good as a good natural one. But that guitar looks like sex, so I'd say go for a figured maple sunburst top.

Or just do Explorer. But Destroyer=Sex

well there's not much of a differance between the explorer and the destroyer. but i could do a destroyer if i had a template *ahem*metalwarrior*ahem*

i planned an explorer because i could just trace out my friend's explorer.

and a change of plans, someone bought the wood i was gonna buy, so I'm open to suggestions again

i was talking with my teacher, and i was thinking of maybe using some Birdseye Maple, is there anything wood that would look better with a transparent finish still not sure about the color, maybe sunburst, im not sure

what do you guys think of a birdseye maple top?
Quote by RU Experienced?

^^ about me

explorer - natural sapele, oil and wax finish
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
rosewood topped explorer. Mahogany neck thru witha lighter weight body... Maybe ash or some alder. Sapele maybe?
TS: Isn't that a King Kelly? I don't like how they chopped out those sections of wood. The regular Kelly is awesome, though. I'd vote for that if I could.
Quote by Pikka Bird
TS: Isn't that a King Kelly? I don't like how they chopped out those sections of wood. The regular Kelly is awesome, though. I'd vote for that if I could.

nope

Its a Jackson Custom Shop Modified Kelly.
i personally think it looks better than the normal kelly

so waht do you guys think of a birdseye maple top? has it been done before?

just in case you dont know waht it looks like, it looks like this:

Quote by RU Experienced?

^^ about me

^Okay, so it's a custom, but that body modification is known as the King Kelly and was available in numbered editions before it was resigned to custom shop-only... Kinda like the Death Kelly, I think.

And I think a birdseye top would look extremely cool and sufficiently unusual. Go for it.
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Jan 15, 2009,
Liking the birdseye maple. Try an Iced Tea Burst; I always think it looks a bit cooler than plain old cherry sunburst.

And yes, the Destroyer is very similar to the Explorer, but those minor differences in the shape and the different headstock put it among the coolest instruments in the world IMO.
Page 1 of 3