I have a vox v847a wah pedal and i get a very weak "wah" sound when i play with distortion. when play it on clean it sounds pretty good but ive heard better.

i have a spider III and a carl martin crush zone.

whats the problem? should i get a different wah pedal?
low battery maybe? i have the same wah and haven't had any problems with distortion.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
if youre using a distortian pedal switch the wah around so its in front of the distortion pedal
Have you checked the order of your chain? Wah should normally go before a fuzz box. I think the only pedals that you are supposed to chain before a Wah would be something like a Noise Suppressor.

Guitar-->Wah--->Distortion--->Amp

Hopefully this will help!
Main Gear:

Xaviere XV-870
w/ 2 "Dream 180" Humbuckers + Mid Boost Mod + Coil Tap

Peavey Classic 30

Modified Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Digitech Bass Synth Wah
GFS Twin Overdrive
Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Line 6 DL4
Boss ME-70

i have it hooked up to a power adapter
and it is in front of the distortion pedal...
i have the same problem with mine, its just like "yeah its a wah, but im not satisfied"
i think what you should do if you know how to do it is to mod it. Im thinking about getting something from here http://griffineffects.goshopper.net/c/18772/vox-v847-wah.htm
but there are tons of mods all over the internet for that wah that can help you
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
i heard about people modding wah pedals
but i have no idea how any of that works or who to talk to about to get it done??
Listen guys, it isn't the battery. It boils down to two facts.

1. The Vox V847a isn't a wah for anything more than slight gain. It is a clean wah.

2. The Spider isn't a good amp in the first place so it is likely to make any wah sound not so good.
Quote by Robert Gill
I think the only pedals that you are supposed to chain before a Wah would be something like a Noise Suppressor.

Conventional noise suppressors should be further along in the chain... usually last, but before time based effects.
Quote by JT747
I have a vox v847a wah pedal and i get a very weak "wah" sound when i play with distortion. when play it on clean it sounds pretty good but ive heard better.

i have a spider III and a carl martin crush zone.

whats the problem? should i get a different wah pedal?

It's probably a combination of the Spider and the Wah. In my experience, most pedals don't sound their best through the Spider so you'll probably have to look around for a wah that works better with it, or upgrade the amp.
yeah ive also heard that the spider isnt the best amp when it comes to effects pedals.

idk when im gonna be able to get a new amp tho. but i really want a good wah sound... i have no idea what to do
if i were to mod it and it sounds good on my spider, in the future when i get a better amp will it sound even better or is not worth doing that right now?
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Listen guys, it isn't the battery. It boils down to two facts.

1. The Vox V847a isn't a wah for anything more than slight gain. It is a clean wah.

2. The Spider isn't a good amp in the first place so it is likely to make any wah sound not so good.

I used a wah with a ****ty practice amp a couple times, and there was a GREAT difference from using it with better amps..

But i don't thin the spider can be THAT bad, can it? I was trying it through a 10 watt SS ibanez practice amp

EDIT: you could also search for videos of people using that wah with your amp, to make sure everything works fine.
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

Last edited by tincho729 at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by JT747
i heard about people modding wah pedals
but i have no idea how any of that works or who to talk to about to get it done??

There's a wah modding thread in GB&C. I can tell you right now the V847a is barely moddable, the resistors are all SMD parts, they are small and a pain to work with. Some things can be changed but not being able to change the resistors easily is a big blow. If you want to get into wah modding grab a used Dunlop Original Crybaby or the Vox V847, not the A version.
in my opinion the spider is not a piece of **** amp. yes there are better amps but i dont think its completely terrible to where it would have this big of an effect on the sound of the wah, and ive played it on other "good" amps and it wasnt too much better. i guess what it comes down to is that its not meant for too much distortion as people have been saying.
Quote by JT747
in my opinion the spider is not a piece of **** amp. yes there are better amps but i dont think its completely terrible to where it would have this big of an effect on the sound of the wah, and ive played it on other "good" amps and it wasnt too much better. i guess what it comes down to is that its not meant for too much distortion as people have been saying.

Haha. My friend got one recently and we tried it out and yea it doesn't sound its best with distortion. Neither does my Dunlop CryBaby so I would recommend just looking around.
i meant that a crappy amp can make a wah sound crappier, but I would be surprised if that happened with a 30 watt amp.
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.