Page 1 of 2
I am going to get one or the other, i play at home, very seldom with a drummer. I have never had a tube amp. I play blues and rock. If epiphone do i get the combo or the head with or without the cabinet. Thanks
completely different amps, try them out.

make sure you're able to turn them up when you're trying/buying, best sound comes from loud tubes

and yeah, fender
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Last edited by Sendrith at Jan 13, 2009,
both are alright beginner tube amps imo. the valve junior is very simple just a volume knob and when cranked can get great overdrive. the fender has wonderful cleans i would say just try both and get the combo valve jr since it will be easier to work with.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
well if you get the epi, you cant just get the head. you need some sort of cab to play it through, otherwise you wont hear anything.

between the amps, the bj is going to probably be the better amp. it also costs a lot more, around twice as much compared to the vj halfstack. the epi has less control but is a great modding platform. it starts out with a very nice blues-y and classic rock tone, but thats all it can do. the bj isnt any more versitile, but does have a lot more control and has reverb. its also going to allow you to play with a drummer more easily than the epi.

but you really have to try both, they dont sound too similar.
Quote by Swingjoint
I am going to get one or the other, i play at home, very seldom with a drummer. I have never had a tube amp. I play blues and rock. If epiphone do i get the combo or the head with or without the cabinet. Thanks

the head doesn't work without the cabinet. its eather the head/cab or the combo. For this amp, the head/combo is much better looking and more of a value than the combo.

Overall though, the BJ is definitely the better amp. It has tone controls and has a better sound. You can always dirty up the BJ's clean tone, but you can't clean up the Epi's dirty tone.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
I sorry for the confusion, i meant to say would you buy the epiphone cabinet or a different cabinet. sorry about the poor wording.
budget would be as high as a new blues jr.
blues and rock, southern rock
never have, never will
prolly new only, I like unblemished stuff and like to keep it that way
craigslist st louis
cool.

Well the Blues Jr is a great amp, especially for what you want to do. The USA built ones are better, but they are used of course. I see a ton of stuff on craigslist.com that you should consider.

The Epi is more british voiced (like marshall maybe) where the BJ is more american voiced (like a fender duh). Hope that helps. There are some killer prices right now.

BJ NOS $375 (USA)
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/991958451.html

HRD 40w $575 (same guy and over budget) (USA)
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/991956080.html

Pro Jr $250 (USA)
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/990978524.html

Marshall JCM 900 combo $600 (over budget but will get heavier for sure)
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/990489482.html

Crate Blue Voodoo head $240 (needs cab, don't know much about it)
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/989031191.html

HRD 40w $425
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/988495317.html

There's a reason the BJ is a couple hundred more then the VJ. I like the VJ and own one. It takes pedals great and I'm glad i have it, but amp for amp the Blues Junior is alot better.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Between those two, the Blues Jr. The VJ is crap as far I'm concerned.

agreed, every time I've tried it I can't help but to get the feeling that it's just really woofy sounding when turned up.
How can you compare a $100 amp to a $800 amp?
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by random_B-RAD
How can you compare a $100 amp to a $800 amp?

The Blues Junior is only around $450 here in the US, a lot cheaper if you go used too.

Quote by al112987
agreed, every time I've tried it I can't help but to get the feeling that it's just really woofy sounding when turned up.

Ugh I had two of them is the past, the one I had to mod it so far from the stock circuit to get a decent tone that it wasn't a VJ anymore, eventually sold it though. The other one I left stock, bascially using it as a foot rest now though.
In general I'm not big on the small single ended class A tube amps that have become so fashionable these days. To me, they just don't sound that great, break up is not really that smooth, and overdriven tone is boxy and woofy, lacking in harmonic complexity and musical overtones, I mean, after that, what is the point of having a tube amp?
Pretty much agree, I've played some nice vintage SE amps though. My Supro is a SE 6V6 (similar to a Champ) sounds great. As far the VJ goes and the Blackhearts for that matter, I just don't get the hype anymore, I'd much prefer something like the Vox Valvetronix in that price range.
I'd go for the Fender. A Blues Junior would suit you perfectly.

Check this YouTube vid out - I just made it, it's actually for a pedal, but you can hear a little bit of the amp's cleans.
the valve jr head and cab, are very nice. just kind of dark toned. maybe it's the speaker i put in there, but mine sounds fine, for heavier stuff.

i dont like the epi jr combo.

the blues junior sounds nice and would work for your music.

the only thing is, if you are just a bedroom user, are you going to be able to crank this amp where you live?
because it's not for "quiet" use.

my fender used to bother me a little, because when used to practice late, i'd have to lower the volume and lose most of the amps characteristics.

so i bought a tube screamer od to put in front of it. that helped out a lot.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Bjr. That's coming from someone who owns both a Vjr combo and head w/ cab, but primarily uses a Classic 30.
okay, get the BJ....the tolex is a really great amp, trust me i own one. If you get on and if you got the money, upgrade the speaker (the jensen which is in the tweed USA one is about 120 € i think) and you´ll have an AMAZING amp for the price!! i' m swapping my speaker
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Blues Jr no question. I love this amp (if you can find one, check out the NOS tweed one!).
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by jof1029
well if you get the epi, you cant just get the head. you need some sort of cab to play it through, otherwise you wont hear anything.

between the amps, the bj is going to probably be the better amp. it also costs a lot more, around twice as much compared to the vj halfstack. the epi has less control but is a great modding platform. it starts out with a very nice blues-y and classic rock tone, but thats all it can do. the bj isnt any more versitile, but does have a lot more control and has reverb. its also going to allow you to play with a drummer more easily than the epi.

but you really have to try both, they dont sound too similar.

+1

the pro junior might be worth a try too, but it has no master volume. it doesn't have too much clean headroom, but does get pretty loud too. if you're only practising, it's probably too loud, to be honest...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by al112987
In general I'm not big on the small single ended class A tube amps that have become so fashionable these days. To me, they just don't sound that great, break up is not really that smooth, and overdriven tone is boxy and woofy, lacking in harmonic complexity and musical overtones, I mean, after that, what is the point of having a tube amp?

yeah, that's kind of what i'm coming round to, too. i don't mind with the VJ as it was pretty cheap, but i tried a cornford carrera the other day, and it's certainly not cheap! was really nice indeed, but didn't sound quite as "valvey", for want of a better word, as i'd have liked- and when turned up, while it didn't sound anywhere near as raucous/unrefined as the VJ, it still had a little of that in it. only problem being, push-pulls are generally too loud for home use so they won't sound so "valvey" either at home/slightly louder than home volumes.

ugh.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have both and I'd say if you're considering one or the other my guess would be you haven't played one or both of them.

I only say that because they are very different amps.

Most people are not happy with the valve jr. without some sort of modification. So keep that in mind if you're not into tinkering and/or buying pedals.

For me, I bought the Epi Valve Jr., added in a tone circuit, and I leave it at the shop for when I build pedals and want to test.

The Blues Jr. is a great at home amp out of the box. I just love it, but it's either going to be exactly what you want or not at all.

They should have both in stock at a guitar center or something. Go give it a shot!

-J
OP, if your budget extends to the price of a new Blues Jr, I'd look into a Palomino V32 or V50. Guitar Center/Musician's Friend is having a supra sale on them (the V50 is running about $350, normally costs twice as much) so grab one while you can.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Swingjoint
i mainly play at low levels, is the blues jr not going to be good for me?

I would almost say the Blues Jr. is better at low volumes than the valve jr. (edit for jj)

The epi valve jr. doesn't have a master volume, so unless you're using pedals you have zero flexibility in terms of volume vs. gain. If you want clean it has to be quiet, if you want gain it has to be loud.

The blues jr. has a master volume, so you can get a nice clean at low volumes or some gritty overdrive and still have it be nice and quiet. I play my blues jr. all the time at home. I put the master vol just above 2 and vary the volume to control the gain.

I'd say it like this. The blues jr. can do everything the valve jr. does, and a lot more. The only benefits to the Epi are the size, cost and modification potential. That's it. If you're not concerned with those things than the Blues Jr. is a better amp hands down.

So if you can afford it, I don't see any reason to get the valve jr. unless the size or modding is really a benefit to you.

Also, if were talking unmodified, the blues jr. sounds better at every setting and every volume. Always. So much better. Really.
Last edited by Nims at Jan 15, 2009,
^ I agree 100%. I think it sounds really nice at low volumes, and the other benefit of a small amp like that it you can crank it and not piss to many people off.
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
imo, it doesnt sound it's best at lower volumes.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
imo, it doesnt sound it's best at lower volumes.

jenny,

if you're referring to my comment... I wasn't trying to say

blues jr. (low vol) > blues jr. (high vol)

I was responding to his question: "I only play at low volumes, so is the epi better for that?"

by saying that

blues jr. (low vol) > valve jr. (low vol)

Does that make sense? I'll edit my previous post to clarify.

Of course, if you weren't responding to me than ignore this completely.
Well its not gunna sound as good quiet then when its loud but it sounds good quiet too.
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
I now want a blues jr and i have a call in on one, i hopefully get to give it a test run soon.
Quote by Swingjoint
I now want a blues jr and i have a call in on one, i hopefully get to give it a test run soon.

You won't be dissapointed.
i didnt want to come across as pushing my opinion because you and moose are good posters, imo.

i was just sort of adding that, i used to have to use my Bjr at low volumes at night.

and yeah, i guess my definition of low volumes might be different than yours.

but anyway, in those cases, i'd always need a ts9. and i don't think it's the watts either.
because i've got a 30W tube amp now that sounds the way i want it to, even at low volumes.

honestly, it's preference because we don't all play the same types of music.
and we don't all play the same pups and guitars at the same volume, wt the same EQ.

anyway, was my 2 cents.

also, as far as the epi Vjr goes. i dont use it anymore, but when i did, i could get some good tones out of it. i had the head hooked up to 2 pretty good speakers tho.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 15, 2009,
I just bought an american made blues jr that needs new tubes. I think i am really going to enjoy this thing.
Congrats! Do they still make MIA Bjs or would those be used? Mines MIM, i thought they all were (newer ones that is).
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for: