I saw some amps labeled Dr Z a few days back in a local guitar shop and i was wondering if this company made good amps?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Yea, they make great sounding amps. They're not really high gain or anything but they give awesome vintage style tones.
They make FANTASTIC amps.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by mmolteratx
Yea, they make great sounding amps. They're not really high gain or anything but they give awesome vintage style tones.

Oh thats amazing, thats exactly the kind of sound i'm looking for

Anyone know if they're comparable with Orange amps? i've been checking out the rocker 30/rockerverb 50 lately
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Yes!
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by hell_monkey
Oh thats amazing, thats exactly the kind of sound i'm looking for

Anyone know if they're comparable with Orange amps? i've been checking out the rocker 30/rockerverb 50 lately

I prefer the Dr Zs over the Oranges but my experience with both amps is kind of limited to a few hours. I didn't really get to turn either one up that loud either but the Oranges sounded good too, just to me the Dr Zs were better. And yes, many internet forum members worship them but I don't think they're that good. But they are great.
EDIT: They're website has many demos too so if you don't have time to try them all out it may be a reference point as to the ones you do want to try out and the ones you don't really want.
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jan 13, 2009,
Well, brad paisley, only plays them...so they gotta be good at least for country
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by nemjeff13
Well, brad paisley, only plays them...so they gotta be good at least for country

I think he also uses a Hermida Zendrive, IMO one of the best pedals ever for low to medium gain.
the Z's are great sounding amps IMO. I have a friend with a prescription ES, and that thing just smokes. We pay alot for Orange in the US, but I wouldn't put them in the same class. Don't get me wrong, the Orange are cool sounding amps. However, the Z's are hand wired point-to-point amps, with high quality parts and everything chassis mounted. The Orange are production line PCB amps at this point.

this is a $2k USD AD30TC
http://i16.tinypic.com/62daf7k.jpg

this is what a Z looks like inside.
http://www.drzamps.com/images/inards2.jpg
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Awesome
Which specific Dr. Z amps do you recommend? Something that will give me that classic overdrive, hot-rodded marshall kind of sound.
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
I don't know, but if you want a prime example of what they sound like, look up some of Brad Paisley's instrumentals. Not only is his guitar work awesome, but his tone blows me away.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
If you can tolerate the volume or use an attenuator, the Maserati GT is awesome. The KT-45 is cool too. The Remedy is supposed to be Plexi like but I haven't tried it. I also haven't tried the SRZ-65 but it's also supposed to do a similar thing, but with modern sounds too.
How heavy can these amps go?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Not heavy. It seems a ton of poeple lately want orange, marshalls, in the case Dr. Z, all to be capable of higher gain. Orange has the rockerverb, which gets damn heavy, and the thuderverb is massive sounding, but those are exceptions. Dr. Z to the best of my knowledge doesnt make a heavy voiced amp.

Not trying to single you out by the way, its just a bit of a rant. Just seems people who want high gain dont buy high gain amps anymore? Maybe it went out of fashion haha.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I played a Dr. Z Route 66 that was a nice amp.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by dcdossett65
Not heavy. It seems a ton of poeple lately want orange, marshalls, in the case Dr. Z, all to be capable of higher gain. Orange has the rockerverb, which gets damn heavy, and the thuderverb is massive sounding, but those are exceptions. Dr. Z to the best of my knowledge doesnt make a heavy voiced amp.

Not trying to single you out by the way, its just a bit of a rant. Just seems people who want high gain dont buy high gain amps anymore? Maybe it went out of fashion haha.

Maybe it's because all of those metalheads who used to just want t3h br00talZ are starting to branch out into other (and in my opinion, better) genres.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Maybe it's because all of those metalheads who used to just want t3h br00talZ are starting to branch out into other (and in my opinion, better) genres.

The thing is, people ask.."can an orange rocker 30 do pantera?"

And i, of course facepalm.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Yes, a little common sense would be nice.

You have to deal with it in every forum though. All of the "HEY LOOK AT THIS IBANEZ ACOUSTIC" threads in A&C drive me crazy. We need to have a big disclaimer that says "IBANEZ, DEAN, FENDER, AND SCHECTER ACOUSTICS SHOULD BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS" on the top of the forum.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by dcdossett65

I was actually like this for a while. I almost bought a Fuchs to use most of the time and just use a pedal to get some higher gain tones when I needed them but then I realized I could get a Boogie and use a Zendrive for Dumble-esque tones without screwing up the tone like a high gain pedal on a Fuchs would. Now I just gotta wait until the MK V starts shipping.
Quote by mmolteratx
I was actually like this for a while. I almost bought a Fuchs to use most of the time and just use a pedal to get some higher gain tones when I needed them but then I realized I could get a Boogie and use a Zendrive for Dumble-esque tones without screwing up the tone like a high gain pedal on a Fuchs would. Now I just gotta wait until the MK V starts shipping.

I tried Mike Stones (queensryce) Fuchs, the are serisouly great amps. Recording some of the parts of my bands new album with it.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412