I won't have much luck selling my POS squier so I am going to buy some wood and make a nice looking body for it, probably a Jackson Kelly, Ibanez Iceman or a SG.

Questions:
1) Does it matter what wood I use if it is primarily for looks? I was thinking of going to Bunnings and buying a slab of pine or something for 50 bucks.
2) Is it possible to make a body without a router, can I just use the good old chisel and hammer ?
3) What size slab would I need?
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Last edited by random_B-RAD at Jan 13, 2009,
i can answer two of those, no it dosent matter what type of wood yuo use if yuo paint it, but if you stain it or leave it natural, the wood grain comes into play.

your going to need a router if you want it to look nice, and not look loke a drunk retared hit it a bunch of times with a claw hammer.

why don't you just trash the squire, cause what your doing here is basicly building a whole new guitar.

EDIT: i missed that, DO NOT BUILD A GUITAR OUT OF PINE. instead use alder or mahongany. depends on the sound you want.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Jan 13, 2009,
If I couldn't sell the Squier for 50 bucks why would I spend $200 for a slab of mahogany and then tonnes more for a router.

Couldn't I just chisel it out roughly then sand it to get it the right size?
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
building a guitar is not something that is cheap. if you don't feel like putting money into a build the just buy new pickups for the squire. its worth it, because the squire is still a good platform.
EDIT: unless your a professional chisler or something, then i woulent even attempt it.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Jan 14, 2009,
WTF? $200 for mahogany. I got a 1pc ash blank for £30 ($50)

I am making a guitar without a router. I use a forstner bit set to the correct depth with my 3 jaw chuck pillar drilling machine and do the rounded corners with a normal bit ( or a gouge). I then do all straight edges with a bevel edged firmer chisel.

Works for me, but jazzmaster pickup routs take about an hour of hard maual labour.

I sold an affinity tele for £117 so you should be able to get a similar amount. And don't use the squier parts either...
Quote by random_B-RAD
I won't have much luck selling my POS squier so I am going to buy some wood and make a nice looking body for it, probably a Jackson Kelly, Ibanez Iceman or a SG.

Questions:
1) Does it matter what wood I use if it is primarily for looks? I was thinking of going to Bunnings and buying a slab of pine or something for 50 bucks.
2) Is it possible to make a body without a router, can I just use the good old chisel and hammer ?
3) What size slab would I need?

1) Depends on who you ask. I think there are slight differences in tone depending on the wood, but there are other decisions to make (i.e. Humbucker or Single Coil Pickups, what amp you use, etc.) that will affect the tone a great deal more. That said, there are also other considerations when choosing wood. Pine is relatively soft wood, so it will have a tendency to be less stable and crack/ding much more easily. A good finish will help, but only so much. I would use a harder wood, like Alder, which makes great bodies and is cheap.

2) Short answer: Yes. Long answer: If you have a lot of free time and you're either very good at making cavities in wood without one or don't mind it looking terrible. It can be done, but by no means easily. I would wait until you have the proper tools before trying to make one. Use the right tool for the job, unless there's no other way.

3) Depends on the Body.

PROTIP: The body on the Squier is actually one of the most valuable parts of the guitar, if only because of the labor and knowledge you need to make one. If you want to upgrade it, there are plenty of parts you can buy and install without knowing how to make a guitar, like the electronics, the tuners (though they aren't bad on Squiers), the nut (this might take some professional installation), the bridge/saddles, or anything else you want to mess with. If you don't know how to make guitar bodies already, and you don't have the tools, chances are you should pick a different part of the guitar to upgrade if money and time are factors. If not, go for it!
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Last edited by GravyFish at Jan 14, 2009,
If I don't get any good prices on my squier from cash converters (they havn't sent me back an email yet) then I will keep it. It is still a pretty decent guitar, The neck and pickups could do with and upgrade but that is really all that is bad if you ask me.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by random_B-RAD
If I don't get any good prices on my squier from cash converters (they havn't sent me back an email yet) then I will keep it. It is still a pretty decent guitar, The neck and pickups could do with and upgrade but that is really all that is bad if you ask me.

Have you thought about buying a nice amp? I find good tube amps to be a great deal more enjoyable to play.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
I was originally selling my guitar and amp to buy a Vypyr but my friend is buying my wah pedal so I can hang onto the guitar and amp.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
the bodie and necks of squires are rather good, its the electronics they cut back on. if you keep the squire upgrade the electronics, the bridge and the tuning nuts. i havent upgraded my tuning nuts or bridge cause i'm poor. but i got my EMGS.
Quote by Onlywayout
The body wood is one of the biggest factors of the tone you get.

gtfo, seriously.

wood is about 5-10% of your tone,
pine would make one awesome guitar body if you are really good at what you do.
Quote by random_B-RAD

Ebay it. I did it to mine and it sold quickly.