alright, so I've got a 5 string stiletto custom. When playing, to play anything higher than the E string (in standard 5 string tuning), I usually anchor my finger on the string below that string that I'm playing.

e.g. Playing the E string, my anchor point is the B string. A string, anchor point E string... that's the pattern pretty much.

Should I keep my thumb anchored on the pickup like I do when I play the low B string or will it really make much of a difference?

This is kinda like a 'your preference' kind of question, btw.
Gear:
Schecter Stiletto Custom-5
Epiphone SG; EMG 85/81 pups
Schecter 006 Deluxe; SD Duncan Distortion Pups
It is, if you can play without any need to mute like most people seem to need to then sure, just stay at the pickup if you'd like.

I float and when i'm not using my thumb to pluck i just let it rest on top of the strings.

ex: playing on the A string and my thumb in laying on top of the B and E strings.

Anyway, if your like me you might figure out its pretty hard to anchor your thumb on the pickup and still be able to have a full range of motion to cover all the strings while keeping your wrist pretty straight.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Hmm, so I'm not really sure what you mean by 'float.' I recently got this bass so I'm not up to speed with the 'terminology' :P.

I'm guessing that's what I'm doing now, though.
Gear:
Schecter Stiletto Custom-5
Epiphone SG; EMG 85/81 pups
Schecter 006 Deluxe; SD Duncan Distortion Pups
Last edited by Guerrilla Radio at Jan 14, 2009,
Thats basicly what I do. Mutes the other strings, allows me with my dinky fingers to get a better, stronger, more consistent pluck on the bottom strings.
I do that too. do what ever works for you.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!