So it seems that pretty much all the responsibility for writing songs in the band has been placed on me. I've already written 2 and the majority of another one but the drummer and our other guitarist seem to have stopped producing riffs so I'm it. I've been trying and I tried a new tuning that I really dig (Drop D Flat) but no matter what tuning mood I can only seem to come up with a good riff or two when I'm really into it I just hit a wall. Any ideas?
Well, most good music was written while the writer was high. To get as close to being high as you can without being high, be tired. If you have any medications, take them now. Then wait for them to kick in. Pick up the guitar, play around and see what comes out. It works for me. Also, try for songwriting pairs. Get another member of the band to work on it with you, like the Stones(Keith; guitars, bass and drums. Mick; vocals) or the Beatles(They were all writers really, but most of their gold was by a combination of John and Paul).
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Make those 1-2 riffs last 3 minutes.

Add singing, bass, drums.

You have a song!
Quote by necrosis1193
Well, most good music was written while the writer was high. To get as close to being high as you can without being high, be tired. If you have any medications, take them now. Then wait for them to kick in. Pick up the guitar, play around and see what comes out. It works for me. Also, try for songwriting pairs. Get another member of the band to work on it with you, like the Stones(Keith; guitars, bass and drums. Mick; vocals) or the Beatles(They were all writers really, but most of their gold was by a combination of John and Paul).

Haha I do write some decent stuff when high but usually more experimental or progressive than the band would like. I'm going to just jam with my other guitarist at practice on Sunday and see how that goes. Other ideas are welcome people.
*hums smoke two joints*
after a while creativity fades when being high. I recently quit that *h*t 3 months ago. After four years of doing it everyday multiple times a day, It stopped working for me eventually, so I quit. And I actually think writing comes easier now. Im definatly more motivated. But dont get me wrong, in moderation its a great tool to spark creativity

But anyway, here are some ways I overcome writers block.

- Stop playing for a few days (yea I know its tough). Sometimes I think the mind needs a little bit of a break. If I stop playing for a few days and then pick up the guitar again, I have loads of ideas.
- Change the environment. I play in my room maybe 85% of the time. When I take my equipment to the living room or the basement, I tend to think differently.
- Take a break from writing and try learning for a week or so. I just put a cd in my tascam and learn a few cool riffs and solos by my favorite band. (which is Opeth by the way)
-(this one I hate) This is one my guitar player does. He would use other bands riffs as a starting point for his ideas. But then your riffs begin so sound similar and kinda like a ripoff. I always try to have a least of an influence as possible to try and develop my own sound.

hope it helps.
Last edited by j37h307 at Jan 14, 2009,
I indulge in several creative outlets- music, writing, jewelry design, etc.- and in each outlet, you eventually hit your creative wall, a.k.a. writer's block.

To get around it, I don't walk away from the outlet completely, I just alter my approach.

In the case of music, I wouldn't stop playing the guitar- I wouldn't want to lose whatever "chops" I have- but I wouldn't play anything new.

Instead, I'd try to increase my consumption of things that might stimulate my mind and/or creativity: go to a museum; go for a long walk or drive in unfamiliar places; read a book by a favorite (or new) author; play some video games.

Go to a sporting event (don't laugh- it works for Dio). Play in a sporting event- even something as simple as throwing a ball or frisbee with friends, family or your dog.

Treat yourself to a nice dinner.

Advanced technique: try being creative in an unfamiliar environment. Every once in a while, I used to go to a particular heavy metal bar to do jewelry designs. With the gemstones on me. Adrenaline makes you think differently.

Bonus advanced technique: watch a foreign film with no subtitles or overdubs.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 14, 2009,