Page 1 of 2
Obviously when your trying out amps in stores, you wanna crank them to get the best possible sound out of them. But also, you don't want to deafen everyone in the store. What do you guys do when your trying out amps?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
See if they've got a soundproof room?

If not, there's not that much you can do.
THey wouldnt put 100w tube heads in guitar center if they didnt expect people to crank em! Long live loud amps!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
i cum blood...

no seriously though..if its like a store that has a soundproof room..i crank..if not..then i dont.
god i hate doing it too. i usually wait around until theres very few people in the store and then flip the thing on and turn it up a bit.
If it's GC I crank it caus it's hilarious. Anywhere else I'll usually just keep it low. A favorite hobby of mine is turning up louder than the idiots playing the Spiders with all the knobs maxed and laughing at them when they tell their friends they found an amp that gets great tone.
Quote by mmolteratx
If it's GC I crank it caus it's hilarious. Anywhere else I'll usually just keep it low. A favorite hobby of mine is turning up louder than the idiots playing the Spiders with all the knobs maxed and laughing at them when they tell their friends they found an amp that gets great tone.

You know what is even funnier than that?

I was talking to a friend who plays guitar about his amp. I was like "Oh, cool, a Marshall."

I look at the label, its the MG 50w

He looks at me and says "Oh yeah, this thing is awesome. No, seriously. I literally creamed my pants when I first heard it!"

Needless to say, I'm still laughing at him, because he says that his MG could destroy my new Blackheart Little Giant.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone

I was talking to a friend who plays guitar about his amp. I was like "Oh, cool, a Marshall."

He looks at me and says "Oh yeah, this thing is awesome. No, seriously. I literally creamed my pants when I first heard it!"

Needless to say, I'm still laughing at him, because he says that his MG could destroy my new Blackheart Little Giant.

lolz I almost shat myself. An MG was my first amp and even to my unexperienced ears it sounded terrible. It and the Spider are in a league of their own for sucking. For some reason I just can't stop laughing. The sad part is I've met a bunch of people just like that.
Quote by Natrone

Before I could figure out what was wrong with MGs, I was like "cool, an affordable marshall, I am going to try it out." and I couldn't figure out why it sounded so weak and I couldn't get any good tone, needless to say I no longer play those amps when I am in a store.

Usually when I am in a GC I grab a PRS and play either the VOX tube amps or the Crate tube amps, I usually don't play the fenders because you really need to crank those to get them to sound amazing. I play loud enough to really feel it, but not so loud that I piss everyone off around me.

In my local guitar shop they go and actually crank the Fender Blues amps for me and even set the tone nobs for what they think will sound good, so when I am there I have no problem cranking it up. Great bunch of folks that work there.
Last edited by in2thesun88 at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by in2thesun88
Before I could figure out what was wrong with MGs, I was like "cool, an affordable marshall, I am going to try it out." and I couldn't figure out why it sounded so weak and I couldn't get any good tone, needless to say I no longer play those amps when I am in a store.

Usually when I am in a GC I grab a PRS and play either the VOX tube amps or the Crate tube amps, I usually don't play the fenders because you really need to crank those to get them to sound amazing. I play loud enough to really feel it, but not so loud that I piss everyone off around me.

In my local guitar shop they go and actually crank the Fender Blues amps for me and even set the tone nobs for what they think will sound good, so when I am there I have no problem cranking it up. Great bunch of folks that work there.

That's what the ones at my GC used to be like. I used to walk in there and they'd be like hey! You wanna try out this new 59 Reissue Les Paul we got in? Of course I said yes but half the time something was wrong with, usually it had something to do with the pickups. Then I'd start playing and they'd come over and just turn the amp up all the way. Then they all left and now the guys there suck.
What I'm thinking I should do is just take my Blackheart with me to school or something one day and tell him to play it in his music theory class, and THEN tell me if my bad luck today was God punishing me for not getting a frickin' Marshall (I don't really even like the things to be perfectly honest).

If his MG makes him cream his pants, what would my Blackheart do?

To be on topic, I never crank amps at stores purely because I just think they sound too loud and I don't want to be a jerk and fill up the whole store with my pathetic power chords and overall noobish playing. I haven't been playing for very long and really still suck.

How do the Fender Blues amps sound when they're cranked? Ever crank a Blues Jr.?

My GC fails in so many ways. First of all, I'm in Kansas. Second, the place is built in an old CD store next to a Sprint store and Pier 1 Imports, so it is frickin' SMALL. Third, due to the lack of size, and the fact that I'm in Kansas, there isn't really anything worth making the trip there for. Fourth, in a year and a half of playing, I've already gained more knowledge than all of the employees in that hell-hole.

My local shop is SO much better, but the problem is that their selection is VERY limited. Washburn guitars, Cort, and (I think) Schecter guitars, Kustom amps, (for the most part) Planet Waves accesories, and Martin acoustics. The pride and joy of the store though, is awesome. Martin's commemorative Elvis Presley guitar with the leather cover. It really is an amazing looking guitar. Oh, they also have drums and keyboards, but I don't play either so I haven't looked at the selection before. They also sell the major brands of strings and such, so it's really a nice quiet place to go when I want to find new gear or try out some acoustics.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Jan 14, 2009,
1. Master volume. Even if your just cranking the preamp, at decent volumes the power tubes still sound good.
2. Borrow a volume pedal real quick.
3. Soundproof room.
4. Use smaller amps. This is why I do so; the smaller size lets me crank it while keeping it loud enough for band playing, albeit with some breakup.

Btw, Natrone, off-topic, did you get the BH head yet or is Musicians Friend still being evil tormenting you?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193
1. Master volume. Even if your just cranking the preamp, at decent volumes the power tubes still sound good.
2. Borrow a volume pedal real quick.
3. Soundproof room.
4. Use smaller amps. This is why I do so; the smaller size lets me crank it while keeping it loud enough for band playing, albeit with some breakup.

Btw, Natrone, off-topic, did you get the BH head yet or is Musicians Friend still being evil tormenting you?

Lol my baby is in, and DAMN does she sound fine! Check out my pics in my thread. It's almost like an amp striptease

Oh, and if you read my posts a repsonces up, it would have been blatently obvious that I have it now
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
What I'm thinking I should do is just take my Blackheart with me to school or something one day and tell him to play it in his music theory class, and THEN tell me if my bad luck today was God punishing me for not getting a frickin' Marshall (I don't really even like the things to be perfectly honest).

If his MG makes him cream his pants, what would my Blackheart do?

To be on topic, I never crank amps at stores purely because I just think they sound too loud and I don't want to be a jerk and fill up the whole store with my pathetic power chords and overall noobish playing. I haven't been playing for very long and really still suck.

How do the Fender Blues amps sound when they're cranked? Ever crank a Blues Jr.?

My GC fails in so many ways. First of all, I'm in Kansas. Second, the place is built in an old CD store next to a Sprint store and Pier 1 Imports, so it is frickin' SMALL. Third, due to the lack of size, and the fact that I'm in Kansas, there isn't really anything worth making the trip there for. Fourth, in a year and a half of playing, I've already gained more knowledge than all of the employees in that hell-hole.

My local shop is SO much better, but the problem is that their selection is VERY limited. Washburn guitars, Cort, and (I think) Schecter guitars, Kustom amps, (for the most part) Planet Waves accesories, and Martin acoustics. The pride and joy of the store though, is awesome. Martin's commemorative Elvis Presley guitar with the leather cover. It really is an amazing looking guitar. Oh, they also have drums and keyboards, but I don't play either so I haven't looked at the selection before. They also sell the major brands of strings and such, so it's really a nice quiet place to go when I want to find new gear or try out some acoustics.

Yea, I'm lucky because I live in Austin, TX and they have a bunch of great local shops for the **** load of musicians here. They all usually have nice stuff and they actually know what they're talking about.
Put it on 11 until the store guys yell at you.

Then leave the store.

Then come back the next day and try again.
Guitars
Jackson Rhoads EX
Jackson RR3

Amp
ENGL E530 preamp
Peavey Classic 120 power amp
Randall Cab
Last edited by deathsguitarist at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by mmolteratx
Yea, I'm lucky because I live in Austin, TX and they have a bunch of great local shops for the **** load of musicians here. They all usually have nice stuff and they actually know what they're talking about.

Lucky....

We just have this weird guy who smells like pee and has really long and kind of graying hair who says that Spiders are the greatest amps ever.

My town fails
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Lol my baby is in, and DAMN does she sound fine! Check out my pics in my thread. It's almost like an amp striptease

Oh, and if you read my posts a repsonces up, it would have been blatently obvious that I have it now

XD Sweet. Like I said, I'm thinking of getting one and A/Bing it with my Blues Jr. for my next thing instead of a new guitar. How's it sound?

Also, to answer your question;

Quote by Natrone

Indeed I have. And it sounds great. It's not a high-gain sound or anything, but it's a great old classic rock/bluesy OD; very usable for anything up to about 1979 in terms of popular music, and tonally brilliant at any setting I throw at it, but as we both know, pretty much any tube amp is as long as it has a good speaker.

Quote by Natrone
Lucky....

We just have this weird guy who smells like pee and has really long and kind of graying hair who says that Spiders are the greatest amps ever.

My town fails

Yea, I went to Kansas a few years ago to visit relatives and there was nothing there at all other than a few really small stores. Luckily I brought my classical guitar but I broke a string and was out of luck for the weekend.
Quote by necrosis1193
XD Sweet. Like I said, I'm thinking of getting one and A/Bing it with my Blues Jr. for my next thing instead of a new guitar. How's it sound?

Also, to answer your question;

Indeed I have. And it sounds great. It's not a high-gain sound or anything, but it's a great old classic rock/bluesy OD; very usable for anything up to about 1979 in terms of popular music, and tonally brilliant at any setting I throw at it, but as we both know, pretty much any tube amp is as long as it has a good speaker.

It sounds....awesome. It really does have that vintage Marshall-esque tone you hear in all of the videos that have been posted. And the nice thing is that with the Little Giant, you can crank up the volume all the way on the 5w setting, and as long as you don't play directly in front of it, it isn't deafeningly loud.

Imagine! A class A tube amp cranked to full power, and no hearing loss!

You won't be disappointed. I can promise that. And, interestingly enough, with the right tweaking of the EQ, you can get a pretty decent clean sound out of it, and a really nice gritty blues rock tone. They aren't anywhere near as one-dimentional as many reviews say. You just have to play around with it.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
It sounds....awesome. It really does have that vintage Marshall-esque tone you hear in all of the videos that have been posted. And the nice thing is that with the Little Giant, you can crank up the volume all the way on the 5w setting, and as long as you don't play directly in front of it, it isn't deafeningly loud.

Imagine! A class A tube amp cranked to full power, and no hearing loss!

You won't be disappointed. I can promise that. And, interestingly enough, with the right tweaking of the EQ, you can get a pretty decent clean sound out of it, and a really nice gritty blues rock tone.

Excellent. Now I just need to prioritize between it and an Epi Dot...

Quote by mmolteratx
Yea, I went to Kansas a few years ago to visit relatives and there was nothing there at all other than a few really small stores. Luckily I brought my classical guitar but I broke a string and was out of luck for the weekend.

The great thing about the small shops is that they'll always recognize you and you'll get a friendly customer-retailer relationship going. I love going into Damm Music and just looking around at the acoustics in there.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by necrosis1193
Excellent. Now I just need to prioritize between it and an Epi Dot...

I play a Squier Strat through it and it sounds amazing. If that's possible, it doesn't matter what guitar you have. You'll have one of the most underappreciated and underpriced amps on the market.

They could seriously get away with selling these bad boys for MUCH more than they do.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
The great thing about the small shops is that they'll always recognize you and you'll get a friendly customer-retailer relationship going. I love going into Damm Music and just looking around at the acoustics in there.

Actually I find it's just a case by case basis. Because there's a small shop near me, where there is tons of pressure, and basically you can't try anything out unless you wave a bunch of cash in their face. Another shop near me is very nice and comfortable.

Just the same with GC's, my nearest one has awesome really cool people that don't pressure you and actually know what they are talking about, whereas another GC is the total opposite that I went to.
@Natrone; Alright then, suppose I'll be getting one of them. ^_^

One more question though; how loud can it get? I'm going to be playing with a vocalist, a bassist, a drummer and tentatively another guitarist, could it push out enough sound to be heard, or should I opt for the Handsome Devil?

necrosis, in your case I would get the Handsome Devil. The Little Giant is loud enough to piss of my mom with loud string squeaks (she hates the sound of my calluses dragging on the strings. I think it adds a bit of character to the sound) but probably not loud enough to get over a drummer, bassist, and singer. For 5w though, it does get pretty loud.

Just remember, the SS-->Tube conversion rate for volume is:

SS x 2.5 = Tube

So the Little Giant is roughly the equivalent of a 12w SS amp. The Handsome Devil is roughly the equivalent of a 37w SS amp.

And they both kick solid state's ass
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Alright then. Thanks for all the Blackheart advice.

No problem!

Oh, and one of the greatest perks of a Blackheart are the stickers they send you and the fact that everything from the instruction manual to the product registration form is laden with humor.

For instance, on the product registration, there is a section asking your name and gender. It reads:

Name:

Sex (Yes Please!):

Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
XD I demand scans.

If they let you crank it, I say go for it. You wanna see what the potential of the amp is when you by it. If someone is getting annoyed by it, then they shouldn't be there in the first place. Music was meant to be played loud!!
Last edited by MommasHooligan at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by Natrone
necrosis, in your case I would get the Handsome Devil. The Little Giant is loud enough to piss of my mom with loud string squeaks (she hates the sound of my calluses dragging on the strings. I think it adds a bit of character to the sound) but probably not loud enough to get over a drummer, bassist, and singer. For 5w though, it does get pretty loud.

SS x 2.5 = Tube

So the Little Giant is roughly the equivalent of a 12w SS amp. The Handsome Devil is roughly the equivalent of a 37w SS amp.

Sorry for calling you out about this, I'm not trying to be a dick here, but there's a lot of myth being thrown around here as sound advice, when really, it's not. So before you start bashing the kids at GC who are playing MGs or Spiders for not knowing anything about tone and sound, make sure you have your own information correct.

Just out of curiosity, where does this 2.5 number come from? Have you measured this? Does the blackheart put out more decibels? Or are your ears going to tell us that tube amps are 2.5 times louder than solid state amps? How do you figure that number? Especially seeing that wattages do not tell the entire story about volumes. I mean, my 35 watt Marshall can drown out a 40 watt Fender super reverb, easily. And yet my 50 watt Marshall hybrid is about just as loud, if not louder than my 35 watt Marshall. It's hard to tell because the volumes have different tapers, and my 30 watter is pretty close to max volume by the time you're at 3-4 whereas my AVT50 has a much more gradual and linear volume increase, but going 100% on 10, I'd say that AVT50 is slightly louder than the JTM45.

There is no conversion rate for solid state->tube volume and the biggest giveaway that someone doesn't actually know what they're talking about is that they make blanket statements like this. All you've shown by stating is that 1) you haven't the slightest clue how volumes and wattage works and 2) you haven't played enough amps to realize that it's a gross oversimplification and a poor estimate that is more often than not completely wrong. Perceived volume from tube to solid state amps isn't something that you can just quantify because it's always different from a case by case basis. Different amps have different amounts of headroom, are rated for different percentage THD, and I'm not even throwing out speaker efficiency. Plus certain voicings will cut through a mix better than others, or maybe perceived as slightly louder to our ears. I've played a lot of amplifiers, and I can say from experience that the volume difference between different brands/makes is for the most part, not any less significant than the difference between tube vs. solid state circuitry. Thus I am always a little tickled when I read things like "dude, tube amps are 2.5 times louder than solid state amps!" For the most part, people are just re-hashing what they're heard or read from others. Not from personal experience. Perhaps you have more experience with amps than I do, and maybe can prove me otherwise.

Edit: Oh and before a brigade comes in to start talking about tube clipping and solid state clipping, spare me. Some tube amps go far beyond their "rated" wattage when you turn them up, some manage to put out in excess of twice their rated wattage, but by then you're comparing say... 30 watts coming out of a "15 watt" tube amp as opposed to 15 watts coming out of a solid state amp. But you know what, you can't use the fact that tube amps often go beyond their rated wattage to say that's what makes them louder than SS amps because 1) rating an amp for "clean" wattage is not black and white, and it's a case wise basis on what amps put out significantly more power than they're rated for. Thus, even then, the 2.5 thing is still a complete oversimplification.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by mmolteratx

I bet youre one of the ones who likes to do this to an awful rendition of Sweet Child O Mine too
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
1. Play really quietly on a 60W+ tube amp
2. Turn it off
3. Turn everything up to 10
4. Wait for someone to turn it on w/o noticing
5. ???
6. PROFIT!
Quote by Ratfish
(a) See if they've got a soundproof room?

(b) If not, there's not that much you can do.

(a) +1

(b) well, you can ask them if you can crank it. if they say no, that's fair enough, but point out to them that you're not buying from them unless you can crank it.

EDIT: also +1 on what al/andrew is saying about volumes.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by Natrone

SS x 2.5 = Tube

That is so wrong it's not even funny.
Lol, i like how half this thread is about the actual topic and the other half is about the Blackeart
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
How many times guys:

Watts = Watts

The volume relationship between Watts and dB is exponential.
The GC around here is pretty cool with cranking them up, at least with me. I've had the guys working there actually turn me up(way up) from time to time. I'm not that good so maybe they know, when they see me I'm there to buy so let me try it out.

necrosis1193, look at the Handsome Devil, closer to what you need. I can, a little later on toss my db meter in front of my HD and let you know what it is. I think I already did this amp and if I remember correctly it was about 100 db cranked.
id buy it and try it at home along with my pedal board....and blast it
if i dont like it i take it back and refund it and try something else
^ that's also a good idea, but unless you're buying from a big chain which has a return policy, you'd need to make sure that the store will actually honour that return. i don't think (here anyway) that they have to let you return it, by law, if you've already tried it out in the store. they only have to let you return it if you don't like it if you haven't tried it in-store, i.e. if it were an online or mail order purchase...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2