People are telling me that I should be keeping away from buying another small practice amp so I need to know some decent priced larger amps. Here are some amps that I am looking at now.

Fender Frontman 212r - $550 - Reverb with 212, 100 watts.

Fender Super Champ XD - $600 - 15w, 112, tube amp.

Roland Cube 60 - $450 - 60 watts, 112, solid state.

Randall RG-40RXM - $400 - 40 watts, 112.

Peavey Bandit 112 - $600 - 80 watts, 112.

Ashton GA80 - $400 - 80 watts, solid state, 112.

I'm looking at the roland cube 60 right now, it is $150 off and it is quite a large, loud amp.

Don't make your choice just on the best one, think about value for money.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Last edited by random_B-RAD at Jan 14, 2009,
No gigging. I mainly play metal but I play everything apart from blues.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
I've never seen an ashton, but the rest of your list still looks like practice amps. From those choices I'd go with the Super Champ.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
The Super Champ is not 600 lol.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
Umm, try the amps first? Also try looking used, you can find good things, like me (I got my Marshall combo amp for $200, model 8240 valvstate)
Gear:
Gibson Flying V
Jackson RR3 w/ Zakk Wylde EMG's
'89 Marshall 8240 Combo Amp
Marshall MG10 CD
Boss MT-2
Dunlop Dime Crybaby From Hell
Quote by Greenwood991
The Super Champ is not 600 lol.

It might be where he is..
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
if your not gigging you dont need anything more than 30 watts .. higher wattage amps are more expensive then say the same amp with a lower wattage. also if your not gigging, you dont need a large amp. but anything would be a step up from what you have right now.

also you dont need a tube amp either. tube amps do sound better then SS amps and everyone will tell you that. but the comparasion between the two are mostly when played at loud volumes. if you were gigging and had to play loud, like over a drumset, i'd tell you to get a tube amp, but since your just playing at home, a tube amp is kind of irrelevant if you ask me. I say that because tube amps are a hell of alot more expensive than SS amps, but, if you want to dish out the extra cash for a tube amp, be my guest.

now to help with your question, if all you play is metal, dont go with fender amps. fender and vox amps are more 'naturally clean' sounding then say a peavey. can't go wrong with marshall, but since you're playing metal, you can definitely do better then a cheap marshall. also do not get a line-6 spider amp. it sounds way too digital.

Id recommend looking at some peavey combo amps. their nice metal amps, that wont cost you an arm and a leg.
Quote by pepsi1187
if your not gigging you dont need anything more than 30 watts .. higher wattage amps are more expensive then say the same amp with a lower wattage. also if your not gigging, you dont need a large amp. but anything would be a step up from what you have right now.

also you dont need a tube amp either. tube amps do sound better then SS amps and everyone will tell you that. but the comparasion between the two are mostly when played at loud volumes. if you were gigging and had to play loud, like over a drumset, i'd tell you to get a tube amp, but since your just playing at home, a tube amp is kind of irrelevant if you ask me. I say that because tube amps are a hell of alot more expensive than SS amps, but, if you want to dish out the extra cash for a tube amp, be my guest.

now to help with your question, if all you play is metal, dont go with fender amps. fender and vox amps are more 'naturally clean' sounding then say a peavey. can't go wrong with marshall, but since you're playing metal, you can definitely do better then a cheap marshall. also do not get a line-6 spider amp. it sounds way too digital.

Id recommend looking at some peavey combo amps. their nice metal amps, that wont cost you an arm and a leg.

The only peavey combos are vypyrs and bandits, since the bandit is 80 watts apparently I don't need it, the vypyrs I have been told not to get as they are only small practice amps and they are not much of an upgrade from what I have.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
I'm using a 5/3w tube amp to play in my bedroom right now. Blackheart Little Giant. Sounds great, but I don't think that it's really what you're looking for.

Super Champ XD isn't a tube amp. It's a hybrid.

Does anyone else find it funny how Fender labeled a hybrid amp as "XD?" It looks like that closed-eyes laughing smiley! I mean, I actually read it as

Super Champ HAHAHAHAHA!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Thye have the peavey Envoy 110 at the store near me but it is the same price as the Peavey Vypyr 30 so I don't think it is worth it.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by random_B-RAD
Thye have the peavey Envoy 110 at the store near me but it is the same price as the Peavey Vypyr 30 so I don't think it is worth it.

price doesnt equal performance.

another thing. dont just buy an amp because someone tells you. try them out first.
There are a LOT of Peavey combos. As far as I know, you can get a 6505 combo, a Windsor Studio (which sucks, but still), a XXX combo, a JSX combo, a 5150 combo, and don't listen to anyone telling you what to get/not to get... the Vypyr is a modelling amp, yes, but it's not a bad amp by any means, you could gig with it easily.

There's a large range of Peavey combos you could look at, and don't discount the Vypyr just because people tell you it's for practice and nothing more.
Quote by random_B-RAD
The only peavey combos are vypyrs and bandits, since the bandit is 80 watts apparently I don't need it, the vypyrs I have been told not to get as they are only small practice amps and they are not much of an upgrade from what I have.

It's a huge upgrade from your current amp.

The Vypyr is imho better for Metal and I own a Cube.

It's either that or the Super Champ.

They're both excellent.