Well for family issues, I'm getting an amp costing up to $1000. But one thing is, my mom basically doesn't want to go to GC +1 times, and we're gonna go tomorrow. So how the hell am I suppose to decide what to buy in 1 hr??@! (also, she doesn't wanna stay for a long time)

What I need is a very versatile amp.. maybe joining a church band soon, MIGHT get into jazz band, and playing prog rock for fun & covering songs and stuff. So from all the research, I've come up with the Mesa Boogie Express 5:25, which seemed to have really good reviews. I really like this especially because of the 5watt switch mode, so i can basically use it as a bedroom/gig amp. But one problem is, what if the GC doesn't sell the mesa?

So what other amps are good and versatile?

Also, if GC doesn't have the Mesa, would it be stupid to order one online?
Quote by 1337guitarplayr
Well for family issues, I'm getting an amp costing up to $1000. But one thing is, my mom basically doesn't want to go to GC +1 times, and we're gonna go tomorrow. So how the hell am I suppose to decide what to buy in 1 hr??@! (also, she doesn't wanna stay for a long time)

What I need is a very versatile amp.. maybe joining a church band soon, MIGHT get into jazz band, and playing prog rock for fun & covering songs and stuff. So from all the research, I've come up with the Mesa Boogie Express 5:25, which seemed to have really good reviews. I really like this especially because of the 5watt switch mode, so i can basically use it as a bedroom/gig amp. But one problem is, what if the GC doesn't sell the mesa?

I don't think you can get Mesas new online. I don't think GC has much of what you're looking for.
Does it have to be GC?

Yes they sell Mesa, I would call them at 9am tomorrow and ask them what they have and what their closest neighbor stores have as they can ship over. I have not played the Express series but I seriously considered it recently based on what I read and heard.

That should be pretty loud. The 5:25 might work well too. They do have a 30 day return or whatever. Yes, buying on line should be fine. Musician's friend.com is a sister company if that matters to you.

Edit: Yep, I forgot you can't buy Mesa's online. My 2 stores carry plenty of Mesas though.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 14, 2009,
Call ahead or find a way to contact the store that you're going to.
If you want very versatile, i'd look into nice modelers.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Profile says you live in LA....
The Mesa Boogie store is right down the street from the GC in Hollywood.
And the Carvin place is between the Sam Ash and Mesa Boogie.
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

STOP MODERN DAY SLAVERY
Wait, so your mom is buying you a 1000$ amp, but will only let you go to GC once and not try the amps for long? Doesn't she care where her 1000$ is going?

Tell your mom that sound and feel are extremely important when it comes to music gear, and that you probably won't get find what you really want on the first try. Tell her that it's like buying clothes: you have to go to different stores and see what they have to offer, or else you might be missing out on better products and deals.
Please, don't go buy an amp for the sake of buying an amp. Do some research ffs.

Oh, and if you she's too "busy" to visit any other stores or let you stay for long, order an amp online, after you've done your research.
Last edited by Mike! at Jan 14, 2009,
I kinda took his OP as either he has a relative that works there or family got a Gift Card and are not changing that. Mesa's can't be bought on-line as noted. I agree that there are a lot of other amp to check into.

Check/ask about what used amps they may have too.
Option 1 I'd suggest; Mesa. (Probably about the full $1,000)

Option 2 I'd suggest; Orange Tiny Terror. ($800 combo, $600 head + whatever the cost of whatever cab you get is)

Option 3 I'd suggest; Blackheart Handsome Devil($450 combo, $350 head + whatever the cost of the cab you get is)
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by 1337guitarplayr

Look for a Traynor YCS50 if they have them..... I somehow doubt it though.
Peavey Windsor Halfstack.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
I'd look into some modellers, like the Line 6 Vetta, H&K Zentera (doubt they'll have that), and the Line 6 HD147.
Get two amps, one for teh brootalz, and one for teh sweet blues. Then mix them and it sounds awesome. I think this is what Lamb of God does with their Mesa Mark and Marshall JTM. That's what I do too, cept cost me less than 700.