Can someone recommend me some standards that have weird (not too weird..) chords? I'm auditioning for jazz band soon, and I'm not too great with reading, so I wanna get some practice in. I don't think I'll need to be able to read anything weirder than wave by jobim or 'round midnight by monk. Thanks.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
How High The Moon is a pretty common standard, perhaps In The Mood? Rather than finding ones with 'weird' chords as you put it, you might impress more if you throw in your own substitution chords to the basic form of a prorgession

Also, what level is this jazz band at? As in, how high is the standard of entry etc. ?
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I unno about the level. Throwing in my own subs won't work because it's kinda a big band, so it'll be kinda weird if I do.
Gear...
As long as they don't clash with what the rest of the band is playing, you should be fine - maybe experiment with different chord voicings aswell?

Oh, and are there other guitarists in the band? Because if there are it would help to maybe ask them what they're doing to make sure they don't muddy up what you add to the song.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Jan 14, 2009,
well since you're auditioning for the band, I doubt what you play for the audition (in terms of harmonic and melodic complexity) is going to be an issue in context of what you eventually have to play for the big band setting.

if you're auditioning in a solo guitar setting, I would recommend George Gershwin's "Summertime" (there's a lot of room improvisation and arranging it to your own tastes) - try arranging it in a bossa nova template. It sounds great!

I've also been working on arranging Miles' "All Blues" for a solo guitar setting - it's a little harder to play the entirety of the song with overlapping the chords and melodies. But I can myself play the head and bridge with bass/chordal accompaniment while spelling out the melody. It's not very hard. However as far as the solos in the song go, you're on your own. I have my own approach to it.

Also you could really bowl them over by showing the nuances and depth to your playing by performing a ballad. I arranged Coltrane's "Naima" yesterday for guitar. And there's no limit to where you can take this song, and tweak it to your own tastes. It sounds beautiful, and I don't think it is that difficult.

Finally, if you know a bunch of cats who might be accompanying you, you can always lay down some swinging shazz like "Four on Six" by Wes.
I'm actually gonna do Isn't She Lovely by Stevie wonder for the solo part of the audition. I'm looking for lead sheets to practice sight comping cause I suck at that.

Thanks.
Gear...