Alright, I used to be adamantly pro-big-pedalboard and anti-multieffect, what with my only experience being my old Behringer V-amp that broke in a few weeks. Anyway, I tried my bands tentative second guitarist's multi-effects floor unit, and I was blown away. I now understand why Behringer is so looked down upon.

Anyway, I was considering getting myself one so I wouldn't have to set up a whole setup to record demos/carry all my stuff to band practice/future gigs. I've read reviews of Line 6 Pod's and know a guy here who has a Pod XT Live, both the reviews and the guy seem to like the stuff. I'm a bit wary though as, after playing one, I'm one of those who will hit you over the head with your Spider if you bought it over a tube amp or a decent SS amp.

To cut the the point, I was looking at two Line 6 Multi-FX units/recording interface things, and I wanted UG's opinion on four things;

1. Is it just the Spider's that are bad, or is it every Line 6 product except their delay pedals?

2. If answer to the above is that it's just the Spiders, which amongst these should I go for? It's either a Pod 2.0($200) or a Floor Pod($150). Uses would be home use where I don't want to go set up everything and wear my tubes/batteries or want to use headphones, recording of home demos, band practice, guitar tracks on band demos, local gigging/touring(if the band makes it that far), and occasional showing off and futzing around. I'd prefer to have a USB out, line out and headphone out, but as long as I have a headphone out and a line out I can manage.

3. Anyone who owns/owned either of the above, what's your take on it/them?

4. If the answer to 1 is that their all bad, could you recommend some good multi-FX units around the same price range? Ignore this one if the answer to 1 was that it's just Spiders.

TL;DR: I'm looking at some Line 6 Pods because people say it's just the SS Spiders that are crap. Can I get some recommendations/opinions?

So yeah, thanks for any help you can provide UG.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jan 14, 2009,
I think it's only the spider series.
They make the Vetta which are damn amazing.

I like some of their pedals, such as delay.
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
You should go and try one out at your local music store and decide for yourself. Use your ears not your eyes.
well i have a toneport gx..best purchase ive made in a while
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
Quote by signedinbloodnz

Excellent then.

Quote by signedinbloodnz

Excellent then.

Quote by Surssi
You should go and try one out at your local music store and decide for yourself. Use your ears not your eyes.

I actually intend to this weekend. The thing though is I don't see how I'd try any of them with a computer, and like I said, demo recording would be a purpose, so I need to know this from those who have tried. To be honest, I'm leaning between the two normal Pods, but the Floor Pod I'm pretty sure isn't for recording, and the normal Pod could be a problem for quick effect switches. Really I can't see it being much live, so the Pod Studio is just there because it's probably the most demo-recording-friendly of the bunch.

Quote by fairycake92
well i have a toneport gx..best purchase ive made in a while

Sweet. How well does it sound recorded? And with headphones?

I have a spider valve 112 which I like very much. It is extremely loud so my roommates don't like it

One usually very critical friend of mine also liked it, he owns a tube amp.
Quote by schizo83
I have a spider valve 112 which I like very much. It is extremely loud so my roommates don't like it

One usually very critical friend of mine also liked it, he owns a tube amp.

Umm...that's well and good and all, but I'm not making this topic to berate Spiders or get opinions on them. I'm making it to get opinions of the Pods.

Quote by necrosis1193
Umm...that's well and good and all, but I'm not making this topic to berate Spiders or get opinions on them. I'm making it to get opinions of the Pods.

Well you asked about line 6 products, whether they were all bad or if it was just the spiders.
Quote by schizo83
Well you asked about line 6 products, whether they were all bad or if it was just the spiders.

Hmm...fair enough. Still though, if it has modeling, what would be your take on it?

pro is of course that you have a lot of types of modeling and a big set of presets to start with. It is a great way to find out what you like.

con would be that because of the somewhat concise interface is that you cannot always set all parameters accurately.

For me as a beginner that is not really a problem but a pro would like to have more options I suppose.
I think all Line 6 amps are modellers.

some are good at what they do (vetta, spider valve imo) and the 30watt spider III is ok.
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Quote by signedinbloodnz
I think all Line 6 amps are modellers.

some are good at what they do (vetta, spider valve imo) and the 30watt spider III is ok.

...No offense, but please read the first post, or at least the "tl;dr" thing.

if you have to got a multi effect then I would say go with the X3 Live.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by helsinki_vampir
if you have to got a multi effect then I would say go with the X3 Live.

...I can't afford that. If I could I'd save $100, get a Vox Tonelab, guarantee the model of my favourite amp(AC30) was dead-on, and get a brand I love.

well I used to use my pod xt live to record and it sounded really good, although now I've got a tube amp, a great mic and a huge pedalboard so i'm happy =)
now, my singer uses the pod when we play gigs, sometimes through an amp, sometimes through the PA and it always sounds good. I used it in the PA on my first gig and it sounded better than the soundcity tube amp they had.
Get a M13. God that thing sounds good

Its all the goods from line 6 minus the cheesy amp modeling

Its only useful if you have a great amp though
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
i would say that the floorpod would be a good bet. it doesnt have the much control voer all of the various effects that you might want, but it sounds great. my church uses them so that they can run everything through the sound board and mix everything so that it sounds great in a very small space.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
I've got a toneport GX with the new pod farm software - meant to be similar to the offerings on the upper-end pods - and it sounds fantastic for home usage, especially when you can get tones as good as any tube amp at bedroom volumes, and it runs on your computer which is great 'cos it eliminates the middle man for recording - i'd look into those. I think they call them the Pod Studio or something now and they come with the podfarm software. I suppose if you wanted to you could also use the output from the toneport to drive a PA with the right leads if you really wanted to...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I'd scout around and look for a used XT Live over the Floor Pod... the modelling in the floor pod is supposedly lifted from the Spider amps, and if it is, it's crap. I'd also go for one of the floor units over a "bean" for what you need, makes things a hell of a lot easier and less fiddly live, and you don't lose any functions of the bean shaped pods.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Well... if you really want a good setup then you go out and get:

Tech 21 power engine 60w

Line 6 pod x3

Maybe I'm off topic, but I've heard this combo and it really does sound quite fantastic.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
We have a used one in the GC I work in for like $230, the power engine that is
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
TS doesn't have the money for those, I'd think his budget is 100-150 USD ?
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by Slicer666
TS doesn't have the money for those, I'd think his budget is 100-150 USD ?

Correct. Well, actually it's anything, just with a limit of $200.