Alright, I downloaded Reaper v2.54 today to try it out. I want to know something, can I load a wav or mp3 file and record guitar over it while the file's being played in background (like Audacity)?

I use Guitar Rig 3 with it and it sounds fine when I load it, the wav or mp3 file also sounds fine. But when I play the wav file while Guitar Rig 3 is loaded (to record obviously) it sounds rubbish, I just get fuzz, horrible horrible fuzz.
So I uninstalled it and installed it again, now something else happens. When I record guitar with the wav file playing it erases the piece of the backing track I'm playing guitar over, and the backing track starts again after I end the guitar line, and the backing track just sounds like fuzz, but the guitar sounds alright.

So basically I can't record guitar over a mp3 or wav file (while it's being played in the background) like Audacity. Help anyone please .
Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
Last edited by the_wayward_one at Jan 14, 2009,
are you unarming the first track when you make the second track?
that would be the easy fix.

-Ryan
I'm sorry but what do you mean by 'unarming' the track?
the little red "R" button at the front of the track. make it not red by clicking on it.
The do the same to the grey "R" that is on the second track so its armed.
Then you will record only on the second track (the one without the mp3)

-Ryan
Would be best to have the mp3 backing track and the recording track on 2 seperate tracks so they don't record over eachother.
Yeah thanks guys I was an idiot I used only one track before so now it doesn't record over the track anymore but the horrible fuzz is there.
EDIT: Alright scrap what I said before, even with the 2 tracks it still records over the first track. I loaded both and when I click record (with my Guitar track 'armed') i can't hear the backing track. When I play what i recorded the backing track is erased and only starts when the guitar track stops. Even then the backing track is just fuzz but the guitar's clear.
can you upload a screen shot? and perhaps a sound clip?

are you making sure to unarm the mp3 track? the red "R" should not be red.

it could be that the fuzz on the mp3 is coming in from the levels being set to high.

-Ryan
Yeah man I'm sure it's not red. See I can make a guitar track using Guitar Rig and record a another track over it again using Guitar Rig and everything works perfectly. It's just then that when I load some other mp3 or wav that it becomes fuzz.
Also it only becomes fuzz when I record. When I just play the mp3/wav file it sounds fine. And the levels' aren't high they're all at 0 db.

EDIT: Everything works suddenly. Damn it man i swear my pc is possessed. Thanks for all the help man.
make sure you don't have monitoring activated on the track you're recording to at the same time as you've got guitar rig running at the same time.

havn't used reaper in awhile so I don't remember the techicalitys but it might be a conflict going on there.
ok i also have a problem i open guitar rig in reaper as a vst and so i get all my settings and i record and i can hear it and then i can also hear it in reaper as the wet sound but when i save it it only gives me the dry sound please help
On your track there's a 'R', right click on it and choose record at output instead of input, Reaper will then record with all your effects on (wet signal).