One or two of the amps I've been looking at recently have no reverb so I'd be looking at buying a pedal based reverb I guess. I've only ever really played with the spring reverb in my old park so was wondering what the difference was, whether it was worth spending more on an amp to get a spring reverb and so on. The amp I was looking at was the little blackstar mini stack to use at home as the park I have is way too loud.

Thanks,

Mark
Spring reverb uses actual springs to create the reverberation. A lot pedals use digital processing to simulate spring and other types of reverb like room, hall, plate, etc. There are pedals (if you want to call them that, often there a little bulkier) that use springs though like the Vanamps Solemate for example. In general pedals like the Verbzilla or Holy Grail will give you more options than just reverb built into the amp.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Spring reverb uses actual springs to create the reverberation. A lot pedals use digital processing to simulate spring and other types of reverb like room, hall, plate, etc. There are pedals (if you want to call them that, often there a little bulkier) that use springs though like the Vanamps Solemate for example. In general pedals like the Verbzilla or Holy Grail will give you more options than just reverb built into the amp.

Thanks. Are the digital versions any good though or can you tell that they are digital and therefore am I better off getting a 'spring in a box' type or simply getting a combo with a spring reverb built in?

Cheers,

Mark
Quote by dernian
Thanks. Are the digital versions any good though or can you tell that they are digital and therefore am I better off getting a 'spring in a box' type or simply getting a combo with a spring reverb built in?

Cheers,

Mark

Well this one area where digital can be better. The best digital reverb I've tried was the T-Rex Roomate which is actually a tube driven digital reverb, sounded great and was versatile, rather expensive though. I'm fairly pleased with my EHX Holy Grail, definitely does the spring reverb sound well in my opinion. On the other hand I was left unimpressed with the Hardwire RV7. It's all preference really, you'll have to try out some things for yourself to see what you'll prefer.

Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at Jan 14, 2009,
if you're going to go with the holy grail, personnaly I'd recommend paying the extra bucks for the holy grail+, it's got one more type of reverb (the 4 of them are friggin awesome) and you can control both the blend and the amount, whereas if I remember well you can only change one of the two on the regular holy grail... if I remember well it's the blend, but don't quote me on that
Quote by joe_k
can't go wrong with the electro harmonix holy grail

+1
If the amp your looking at has spring reverb then good. But dont buy a amp just because it has the reverb. And many amps dont have a switch for reverb you turn the knob down if you want it off. Not very convenient. I was thinking of getting a reverb pedal recently but dont like digital pedals. I can get a decent reverb with my stereo rig by putting a delay pedal on 1 side. Didnt cost anything as I had the old analog delay laying around does a decent job. Not perfect reverb but will do for a while.
If you want spring reverb in a pedal, look for a Danelectro Spring King. Great, very underrated reverb units. They aren't Fender tanks, but not much is.

Or for a pedal, get a Line6 Verbzilla. The Holy Grail I found to be a bit of a love/hate pedal. You may love it though.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I'm not a big fan of spring reverb. Good spring reverb is still a little noisy and has a tinny sound that I think is generally unpleasant. Good digital reverb will be much quieter, sound and full and it will have more that will make it so you can really fine tune it.
Not taking any online orders.
Bit of a follow up... I bought a blackstart ht5 combo yesterday with a holy grail.

Cheers all,

Mark
I personally have a strong aversion to reverb pedals, mainly because I don't find them very useful, but having said that, I do love the reverb on my Rockerverb, and much prefer spring reverb to digital reverb.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
It ultimately depends how much you use reverb. What sort of music do you play? There's no point spending £100 on a pedal where you're not going to use most of the features.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Quote by joe_k

Sure you can. I did, and have now talked to many others who also have. It is a noisy little unit, and after I switched to the line 6 verbzilla, I now realize how full and rich a reverb can sound;which sadly cannot describe the holy grail. I really suggest you to try out the verbzilla, and try to abstract from the silly name, and get carried away by the no-noise, pure beauty of its smooth decays. It is an absolute dream reverb. The holy grail is way too expensive for what it is. I even did a side by side comparisson with a cheap new line of effects called riot. Its about half the price of the holy grail, and is less noisy, and has a very similar tone. The holy grail seems to sound allright at very low settings, but anything other than that it is very bright, almost windy sounding. The verbzilla is so warm and adds 0 noise at any level, so please do yourself the favour of throwing in the extra cash for the zilla.
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
Last edited by chrisdam at Jan 18, 2009,
Little Lanilei

Spring Reverb tank in a pedal

Same goes with the Spring King, but it doesn't sound very good unless modded.
Quote by joe_k

Yeah you can.
Bearing in mind it sounds awful, it's overrated, the reliability is rubbish and my in-built Laney reverb is even better.
It's pretty bad.
Quote by Horlicks
Yeah you can.
Bearing in mind it sounds awful, it's overrated, the reliability is rubbish and my in-built Laney reverb is even better.
It's pretty bad.

Not at all...

The Holy Grail sounds great.

The added wet/dry signal blend knob on the Holy Grail + fixes the windiness. You can still get that delayed, super wet reverb, or you can get drenched surfer reverb. Even make it sound like a UFO with Flerb.
My update was a bit short because I was pretty disappointed with the grail when I got it home... it just sounded 'fake' to me having got used to a 30 year old spring reverb. Yesterday I was playing around with it and read on the internet that it's a good idea to put reverbs in the effects loop so I tried that. I've never had an external reverb before or an effects loops so all this is a bit new to me. Anyway, for some reason (presumably due to where it now sits in the chain) this has transformed it. There may well be better pedals but I'm now completely happy with it. It's not quite as smooth as the old spring I have but it's better than I thought a pedal would be.

Cheers,

Mark
Being a Holy Grail owner myself I can say I think there's better. Definitely agree it's overrated.
the holy grail is pretty good. i cant really get into spring reverbs. just preference. i love that 80's stadium sound, so a wide reverb really works for me.

i would go with a holy grail plus or a boss rv5. had an rv5 for ages and it was nice.
Quote by AcousticLesPaul
Not at all...

The Holy Grail sounds great.

The added wet/dry signal blend knob on the Holy Grail + fixes the windiness. You can still get that delayed, super wet reverb, or you can get drenched surfer reverb. Even make it sound like a UFO with Flerb.

That still doesnt make it any quieter nor well sounding now does it oh and personally I think the flerb is utterly useless as the amounts of bad verb you get when any flange is present is so overwhelming it just isnt usable. UFO perhaps, but quite a ****ty UFO
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
Quote by joe_k

entirely agree'd with.

I have a really old (1968) 10 watt tube amp made by Silvertone (damn there's a name you dont hear much anymore, haha)
so it's pretty vintage sounding.

It had no reverb, but I wanted some but I still wanted to keep that old sound.

so I ended up with a Holy Grail and it sounds like a vintage spring reverb without the popping and squealing that actual spring reverb can get.

in other words, it sounds as pure as recordings of old spring reverb amps do, but without the hassles of them.

the Holy Grail also has a few other settings for different kinds of reverb
there is also the Holy Grail Plus which adds a few more options I believe.

or there is the Boss Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb pedal
built just like all their other stomp boxes however this pedal will give any amp a tone upgrade to make it sound more like a Fender 65 deluxe
also it's spring reverb does incorporate (if you want it to) the snaps and whistles that come from true spring reverb (in fact you can control how much you want it to do so)

it's a bit more expensive, and if you want to change the tone of your amp then go for it

if not, I suggest the Holy Grail
its simple (1 switch, one knob, one button to turn it on and off) and is one of the most incredibel sounding reverb's I've ever heard\

hope this helped

EDIT:

Damn how did I miss this?
TS already bought the stuff

I'm glad I gave advice to a guy who already bought the stuff

I feel stupid now

/walks away ashamed.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Last edited by NaivexLi at Jan 23, 2009,
If you are going to be using the distortion from the amp put the reverb though the effects loop. If it doesn't have reverb or effects loop...get a different amp. Spring reverbs can be nice. If you are really trying to get exquisite reverb get a Holy Grail Reverb. If you are gonna run reverb through the effects loop look at an Alesis Microverb.
Quote by Adam Loeke
If you are going to be using the distortion from the amp put the reverb though the effects loop. If it doesn't have reverb or effects loop...get a different amp. Spring reverbs can be nice. If you are really trying to get exquisite reverb get a Holy Grail Reverb. If you are gonna run reverb through the effects loop look at an Alesis Microverb.

Where do you come up with this? In your termonology I guess you would suggest people playing on vintage jtms, plexi's, hiwatts oranges and similar amps to get different amps ?

Oh and have you ever tried any other verbs than the holy grail? Think nok, or you just wouldnt classify it as "exquisite"
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat