Hello UG.
I've been playing guitar for 7 years and currently I'm not progressing.
I've tried expanding my horizons to blues, jazz, metal, classical.
(But i prefer electric guitar)
I don't feel my style becomming faster, cleaner or better in general, i love Joe Satriani and steve vai which is wta a base alot of my style on, but as i said i have expanded.

I've been learning theory for 6 years and also i that i'm not progressing

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

PS: Sorry if this is in the wrong section, i couldn't think where it would go.
Last edited by bulger2503 at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by Birdy266
Have you got a guitar teacher?

Good point. If you get a decent teacher, even for just a couple of lessons, they should be able to point out some things you can work on.
Before telling him to get a teacher, why don't you tell us first what your practice routine is. Do you simply pickup the guitar, and play the same warmups, the same chords, the same few songs, over and over again? You arent going to get better at anything unless you are practicing something new. If you want to play faster, you need to practice faster. If you want to play cleaner, try recording yourself and force yourself to nail things exact. You get the point right?

Every guitarist will go through ruts where they feel stagnant, and it almost always can be attributed to stale practice routines. Getting a teacher or lessons is one way, but thats only going to work because they will probably have you trying new stuff. I started turning to technique/practice books when I got stuck. Terrifying Technique, gives lots of good exercises and more importantly gives you ideas for building your own using any scale.....great way to improve speed. Bottom line, there are millions of things to practice to get better but many of us just need someone else or some system laid out for us before we are motivated to follow it.
Quote by GuitarDTO
Before telling him to get a teacher, why don't you tell us first what your practice routine is. Do you simply pickup the guitar, and play the same warmups, the same chords, the same few songs, over and over again? You arent going to get better at anything unless you are practicing something new. If you want to play faster, you need to practice faster. If you want to play cleaner, try recording yourself and force yourself to nail things exact. You get the point right?

Every guitarist will go through ruts where they feel stagnant, and it almost always can be attributed to stale practice routines. Getting a teacher or lessons is one way, but thats only going to work because they will probably have you trying new stuff. I started turning to technique/practice books when I got stuck. Terrifying Technique, gives lots of good exercises and more importantly gives you ideas for building your own using any scale.....great way to improve speed. Bottom line, there are millions of things to practice to get better but many of us just need someone else or some system laid out for us before we are motivated to follow it.

Well I think that if you want to play faster, practice slower. And if you want to play clearer, practice slower. Of course, when you can play in slow tempo relaxed, rise the speed. (7 years... I believe the TS has done this..) Also, forcing yourself while playing most of time isn't probably going to do good for your technique in the end, but if you were talking about forcing yourself to want to play, I would agree.

Anyway with everything else GuitarDTO, I totally agree.
Quote by Unrelaxed
Well I think that if you want to play faster, practice slower. And if you want to play clearer, practice slower. Of course, when you can play in slow tempo relaxed, rise the speed. (7 years... I believe the TS has done this..) Also, forcing yourself while playing most of time isn't probably going to do good for your technique in the end, but if you were talking about forcing yourself to want to play, I would agree.

Anyway with everything else GuitarDTO, I totally agree.

I've read that logic before, to practice slower...and while I agree that is good for nailing something exact, I do not agree that it alone will help you get faster. You have to challenge your fingers physically. It's a lot like weight lifting, you can lift light weights a lot and get a little stronger, but at some point you need to throw some massive weight and fail your muscles before they'll come back bigger. Same thing with guitar. The best advice is probably a combination, learn a solo by practicing slow so you know what notes to hit, but then crank the speed and even though you'll mess up, all of a sudden when you slow back down a little it will keep getting easier and easier.