Hey i have a gibson les paul studio and a fender telecaster

i am looking to buy a new amp

i am willing to spend max $1000 Aus dollars.

i play mostly rock but i also play blues, metal, jazz, ska

bands like: AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, B.B King, Eric Clapton, Stevie ray Vaughan, Jimi Hendrix, Rise Against, Reel Big Fish, The Offspring, Bullet for my Valentine, Blink 182

can i get some suggestions for amps?

thnx

jason
i have a randall rg40r that works pretty well for all these sounds.. it gives a nice chunky distortion great for blink 182 and the offspring, and rise against.. and im sure with an effects pedal you could get the bfmv sound.

Also the clean is nice, with the reverb right up stairway to heaven sounds great.

But it's only $400.. Maybe you're looking for something a bit better.
Fender Blues Junior
Bugera 333
Bugera 6262
Orange TT Combo

all in your price range, now get testing...
Vox Ad100vt.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by Jaksar
Fender Blues Junior
Bugera 333
Bugera 6262
Orange TT Combo

all in your price range, now get testing...

I second that, especially the Tiny Terror and Blues JR (with a nice distortion pedal)
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Orange Rocker 30 sounds perfect for you.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
i rekon i might get the Orange Tiny Terror Head
cuz the combo would be too soft.
what would go well with the TT head.
nothing too expensive coz the TT itself is fukin expensive.
Make yourself a cab, get some nice celestion speakers, the kind they use in marshalls and make yourself a 412 cab.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
getting a cab to go with the TT head is gonna well and truly blow you $1k budget. Even the the cheapest, nastiest crappiest cab will take you over budget and kill all the tone your TT head is producing.

A half way decent cabs in Australia is going to set you back in the vicinity of $700 - $900 so you'll need to up your budget significantly if you want to go in that direction

Edit: I doubt you'll be able to build a half way decent 4x12 or even 2x12 with the $250 change you're going to get from your TT

Edit 2: Out of interest what makes you say the TT Combo will be too soft but the head wont?
Last edited by Jaksar at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by herberj7
because the TT combo is only a 15 watt amp.

............ so's the head..... as in the TT head is 15 watts too.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
^^^^ What stratman_13 said.

The Combo is the TT head with an onboard 12" Celestion G12H-30 speaker so you don't have to spring for a separate speaker cabinet.
Last edited by Jaksar at Jan 14, 2009,
okay. i c.
thnx alot everyone.
i went to check it out and there is this deal for $1190 you can get the orange TT head with an orange 2X12 cabinet.

thats prob my best option.
Quote by herberj7
okay. i c.
thnx alot everyone.
i went to check it out and there is this deal for $1190 you can get the orange TT head with an orange 2X12 cabinet.

You will probably need at least an OD pedal to tighten up the gain for BFMV though, but the TT will pretty much destroy all the other bands you listed
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by herberj7
okay. i c.
thnx alot everyone.

Wow! where are you getting that deal? the Orange 2x12 cab alone sells for about $1200 so you're effectively getting the head for free. You might want to double check that deal, can't be right, surely
Last edited by Jaksar at Jan 15, 2009,
then its not the cab, the cab was selling for about $500 on special. but im pretty sure is was a 2X12. il check next time.
If it's true then let me know cause I could use a 2x12 for $500 that sounds like a great deal =)
Allans Music in the city.

also guys there is an Orange Cabinet 1X12, is that a 100 watts?
Quote by herberj7
Allans Music in the city.

also guys there is an Orange Cabinet 1X12, is that a 100 watts?

Yes, it’s a 100w, but you’re getting a 15w head so… yeah.

Unless there’s a pressing reason, that you MUST have a separate cab/head then get the TT combo. You’re wasting your money spending $1200AU on the Orange 1x12 cab with the TT head when you can get the exact same thing as a combo for $950AU

If you just can’t live without a separate cab for your TT then at least get a 2x12 so there’s a reason for doing it. Alans have the Vox 2x12 cab for $360AU, try that.
Quote by rjsmedo89
Maybe an orange rocker 30 combo

Waste of time. Why bother looking at an amp that costs $2200AU when you have a budget of approx $1000AU
Quote by herberj7
Hey i have a gibson les paul studio and a fender telecaster

i am looking to buy a new amp

i am willing to spend max $1000 Aus dollars.

i play mostly rock but i also play blues, metal, jazz, ska

bands like: AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, B.B King, Eric Clapton, Stevie ray Vaughan, Jimi Hendrix, Rise Against, Reel Big Fish, The Offspring, Bullet for my Valentine, Blink 182

can i get some suggestions for amps?

thnx

jason

My philosophy for addressing amp selection and rig design, is as follows:

Core tones-- Marshall, Fender, Vox, Mesa/Boogie and there are a few others (Roland JC120, Dumble) ALL others are basically a spin off those core amp design/tones. Know what you're going after and use that, NOT something sort of close to that because otherwise you'll always be chasing your tone in frustration

From there it's a matter of application logistics... I mean, are the amp/amps to be used in a studio, for live gigging or BOTH? (Rhetorical) Key factors may be: Size, Weight, Channel switching, Effects loops, Effects loop type (series/parallel, switchable, MIDI)

Then it's a matter of deciding on some key factors, such as will the rig be a multiple amp rig, mono, wet/dry, Stereo, Wet/Dry/Wet.

Will the rig utilize effects?

Will the effects be: pedals, rack processors, a combination of BOTH, and then comes the signal routing. (Series, Parallel, Series//Parallel, a Switching System)

Then there's the component of Controlling it all:

Lots to factor in BEFORE spending any money, so that you can spend your money toward the final result with a cohesive plan in mind. Saves a lot of money and time, as opposed to just spending on something because it's the latest fad etc...

Obviously COST is a major factor for most people, so planning well... can go a long way to helping one to NOT spend unnecessarily.

My $.02
Last edited by zachman5150 at Jan 16, 2009,
Tiny terror ftw!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
i would suggest a peavy combo tube amp. the jsx is pure amazing. it has that beautiful clean sound along with the ac/dc crunch, not to mention the evh ultra solo chanels. it doesnt do metal that well but messing with the settings you can get pretty close. if you can find a xxx peavy combo it does all of that. cleans arent quite as good but it will do all rock amazingly including metal. and cleans are still really good, just not as good as the jsx.