Hi guys,

I'm gonna go str8 to the point now.... I live on a small rock in the mediterranean called malta..... and here none of the music shops are equipped enough that you can go and try out any amp your mind can think of.....so my point.... I've decided that next summer I give london a visit for a day just to buy a new amp. the problem is which shop is the best?? by the best I mean that it must have a great service, not expensive and must have a wide range of amps I could try out. I've heard that the shops at denmark street are expensive and dont have a great service..I'd be grateful for any response on this issue cos I've been saving up for a whole year now for a new amp and I'm tired of saving I want the amp 10x.
i think its called sound control or somehting? its really big tonnes of selection, maybe someone from london can help you but if you can find one of those you'll be good.
Denmark Street is fine, aslong as you're not a douchebag the staff will help you.

Sound Control is also worth a visit, i assume its still downstairs in Zavvi (Virgin?) on the Corner of Tottenham Court Road.
Hi

Quote by iceman95
Fiddler is a god!!!! omg that's a good movie
If you know specifically which amp you want, then buy it off the interwebz.

Denmark street has a lot of music shops, London is the most expensive place in England, so it's bound to be a little more expensive.

The service quality just depends on your point of view, I'd say that if you go with an idea of what you want/how much you want to pay, and have done a little research, then the people in the shops should be pretty helpful.

After all, they need you to buy from them, not go next door.

Quote by Fiddler
Denmark Street is fine, aslong as you're not a douchebag the staff will help you.

Sound Control is also worth a visit, i assume its still downstairs in Zavvi (Virgin?) on the Corner of Tottenham Court Road.

I believe this one has/is shutting down. Though it could be a different one, but I heard their flagship London store was closing along with 17 others. If a buyer isn't found for the remaining stores within a couple of weeks, then they will all shut down.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
RED MILITIA FACTION
Last edited by Trickycindy at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by Trickycindy

I believe this one has/is shutting down. Though it could be a different one, but I heard their flagship London store was closing along with 17 others. If a buyer isn't found for the remaining stores within a couple of weeks, then they will all shut down.

No.

They closed some smaller Zavvis but they would never close THAT one until they have to, it makes so much money.
I work for a virgin mobile concession inside zavvi so I should know

BUT sound control are no longer owned by virgin, they are called reverb, so the reverb has moved out of the oxford street store.

GAK in brighton would probably be best, it's only an hour or so on the train from london. look at www.gak.co.uk they have ****loads of stuff.
The sound control in London oxford street has gone.

Denmark street is pretty cool, and they're really friendly. Who ever said "they don't want you shopping next door" isn't true. All the shops are owned by one guy, they're all friendly with other and happily sent me next door when one shop couldn't help.

Worth checking out is Wembley guitar centre in London. Has a few Engl amps etc to try out and is rather big.

http://www.wembleydrumcentre.com/index.php?&cId=3
hey guys 10x for replying.
Is the gak store far from denmark street cos id like to check it out too while im in london..... for who said what amp im lookin for... im lookin to try out a jcm 800 2203 and a tsl 100 and gak had them for a reasonable price!!! and for who suggested the internet..... I want to try rhe amps out before I buy and from the net i cant know exactly what im getting... and Im not ready to shell out over a £1000 for something I dont know is perfect....10x for all the suggestions and keep em comin
Quote by vegetoe01
The sound control in London oxford street has gone.

Denmark street is pretty cool, and they're really friendly. Who ever said "they don't want you shopping next door" isn't true. All the shops are owned by one guy, they're all friendly with other and happily sent me next door when one shop couldn't help.

Worth checking out is Wembley guitar centre in London. Has a few Engl amps etc to try out and is rather big.

http://www.wembleydrumcentre.com/index.php?&cId=3

Wembley Guitar Centre is great if you want a high-end amp, although their selection isn't huge. Denmark Street isn't great in the way of amps, though. I suggest going to GAK in Brighton, much bigger with a huge selection.
Quote by Darryl
hey guys 10x for replying.
Is the gak store far from denmark street cos id like to check it out too while im in london..... for who said what amp im lookin for... im lookin to try out a jcm 800 2203 and a tsl 100 and gak had them for a reasonable price!!! and for who suggested the internet..... I want to try rhe amps out before I buy and from the net i cant know exactly what im getting... and Im not ready to shell out over a £1000 for something I dont know is perfect....10x for all the suggestions and keep em comin

The GAK store isn't in London, its in Brighton which is a different city. Its about 100 miles away, but it shouldn't take too long to get there on the train.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Last edited by Ichimaru at Jan 14, 2009,
Well I know for definate that a Zavvi in London is shutting with the loss of over a 150 jobs, so must be a pretty big one. Also it's not always the biggest ones that make the most money.

/offtopic.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
RED MILITIA FACTION
Quote by Trickycindy
Well I know for definate that a Zavvi in London is shutting with the loss of over a 150 jobs, so must be a pretty big one. Also it's not always the biggest ones that make the most money.

/offtopic.

No that was the head office in London that all the staff got fired from.

Lol, not even the big stores employ 150 people! they'd have to have like a million departments!

The average store has about 20 people.
this is pretty much what i needed but since it seems like every reply has something about not knowing if stores are open or not, are there any UKers that can help with more up to date advice, im moving to london in 3 weeks and im gonna need to get a guitar when i get there, i could take mine with me but im traveling first and don't want to lug it around with me everywhere. Also if it makes a difference ill be after a mid range accoustic.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
GAK in brighton would probably be best, it's only an hour or so on the train from london. look at www.gak.co.uk they have ****loads of stuff.

Listen to this wise lady. GAK is by far the best place.