Simple question, but one that I felt needed to be asked anyway.

Basically, I went into a guitar store and noticed how much thinner the Ibanez S-Series is to the RG-Series. Now, i'm thinking of getting a new guitar somewhere down the line so...

Does the thinness of the S-Series compromise on tone, especially compared to a RG Series?

Thx
I don't think the difference will be all that great. Most of the sound will come from the body wood directly around the pickups. Also the wood density is a big factor, and I don't know how this varies between S and RG guitars.
WTLTL 2011
The S series is typically thicker around the pickups in contrast to the body. And as the above poster said, the wood around the body makes the greatest impact on the guitar's overall tone.
Personally, I've played my share of S series and Rgs, all through the same amp, and their overall tonalities were fairly similar to eachother. I've found Ibanez typically have a higher end tone, although to me, personally, the RGs seemed a little more brittle than the S, which actually sounded marginally fuller, but if anything a little more on the treble side.
Either way, they're not too distinguishable from eachother, and both are great quality axes.
I hope this helps you out a bit. Feel free to contact me if you like.

Alex

EDIT: Oops, my bad. I meant to say the RG is more treble based than the S. Sorry.
Last edited by juckfush at Jan 15, 2009,
Quote by juckfush
The S series is typically thicker around the pickups in contrast to the body. And as the above poster said, the wood around the body makes the greatest impact on the guitar's overall tone.
Personally, I've played my share of S series and Rgs, all through the same amp, and their overall tonalities were fairly similar to eachother. I've found Ibanez typically have a higher end tone, although to me, personally, the RGs seemed a little more brittle than the S, which actually sounded marginally fuller, but if anything a little more on the treble side.
Either way, they're not too distinguishable from eachother, and both are great quality axes.
I hope this helps you out a bit. Feel free to contact me if you like.

Alex

You are correct sir. RGs are Basswood and Ss are mahogany which compensates for the body size differences. RGs seem to lack in the tone department which is not bad depending on what you're using it for. It's very clean and defined. It's distorted sound is silky smooth, dirty wouldn't describe it at all. The S sounds fatter and fuller while remaining clean. They are both trebly, but the RG is moreso.