The language itself has intrigued me... It just sounds cool when spoken, and it could also be useful, I dunno, learning a new language always has it's benefits.

Looking at tutoring and stuff like that, at the moment, is something which is going to be out of the question.

Was wondering if anybody could point me to some free programs that help with teaching the language, not only through the spoken word, but the written language as well.

Help would be appreciated
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
It is very very difficult.

YOu should know it is not an indo-european language, so you will be learning every single word, there are no similar words.

You will also be learning grammar stems which appear differnet to an english speaker because they are completely different from the grammar of indo european languages. There are something like 24 different case endings.

Good luck to you though, you need to learn properly and attend an immersion class or something you can't learn finnish well through distance learning.
Yeah, that is one thing which I thought would trouble me.

A friend of mine is starting to learn Russian solo, but he has a friend of his who is fluent in Russian, so he's got help there...

Maybe if I became personal friends with Bodom...
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Finnish is one of the ugliest languages in the entire world.

And it's hard as hell to learn, so don't even bother.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Learn Estonian. Sounds nicer.

I've been told by many many tourists that Finnish sounds like you're trying to talk Estonian but it sounds like you've just recently had too much to drink
Quote by RoamingConflict
This one dream involved me, one random girl, midgets and a pie.

...and midgets ended up f*cking her. I got the pie.

Last edited by BloodMoon666 at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by Demon Wolf

Well I wont get far with that kind of attitude
Quote by srvguitarrulez
All you need to know is "Saatana perkele voi vittu"
People are bastards. Bastardcoated bastards with bastardfilling.
Quote by Demon Wolf

Oh pssh you!

It's beautiful! I'd like to hear, tell me when you finish.

Ba dum tish.
No Finnish, does not have very many benefits. It is spoken by a relatively tiny amount of people and a good bit of them speak English anyway. If you want to learn a useful language that is equally challenging, try Chinese, Japanese, or Korean.

And yea, like MistressIbanez said, it isn't an Indo European language like 90% of European languages, it is Finno-Urgic, so if you want to stay in Europe's languages, at least stick to Indo-European. French is most closely related to English in grammar/syntax, German in vocabulary.
Last edited by EnemyWolf at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by EnemyWolf
No Finnish, does not have very many benefits. It is spoken by a relatively tiny amount of people and a good bit of them speak English anyway. If you want to learn a useful language that is equally challenging, try Chinese, Japanese, or Korean.

I second this. Finnish is only spoken in Finland, roughly five million people.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Finnepinne
All you need to know is "Saatana perkele voi vittu"

hey, no swearing
From what I've heard, in Finnish, depending on grammar usage or whatever, you could place the words in a sentence in whatever order you'd like, and it will still make perfect sense.

@Demon Wolf
'Allo 'Allo FTW!
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
Quote by Sheepdragon
@Demon Wolf
'Allo 'Allo FTW!

+1
Quote by RoamingConflict
This one dream involved me, one random girl, midgets and a pie.

...and midgets ended up f*cking her. I got the pie.

**** yes, it's one of the funniest shows ever!

It's currently being broadcasted in Sweden, so I've had a chance to rewatch every episode. Season 8 is just about to start.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
its not a very long language. in fact your pretty much Finnished as soon as you start.

*Badum ssscchhh*
360 Gamertag: NEB Vanguard

Quote by josh15742
you sir are epic in every way imaginable

i literally bursted out laughing

Quote by Kenny77
Hats off to you sir!

I started learning some, it is a really weird language, especially when you get started. \

Here's a couple of sites for basics.

http://www.101languages.net/finnish/
http://donnerwetter.kielikeskus.helsinki.fi/finnishforforeigners/ch1-en/ch1-9-tarkeitasanoja.htm
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
I can speak it!
Quote by Placenta_07
I think he likes me more than a friend but I like girls, like when I look at boobs and bums and stuff I get really horny and stuff.

Quote by 12Jim34
^Wow. That's pretty abnormal.
watch cob dvd backstage stuff

no srsly finnish and the other nordic languages are very hard. its not easy like the roman languages english, french, italian......
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

YOu should know it is not an indo-european language, so you will be learning every single word, there are no similar words.

You will also be learning grammar stems which appear differnet to an english speaker because they are completely different from the grammar of indo european languages. There are something like 24 different case endings.

Good luck to you though, you need to learn properly and attend an immersion class or something you can't learn finnish well through distance learning.

She's right. Finnish has nothing you could grasp onto by knowing English. I wanted to learn Finnish but instead took Norwegian which is a lot simpler and a lot closer to the English language.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
I'd prefer to learn latin if it wasn't a dead language.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
well i dont consider that dead. its important for all all medical jobs and helps you learn other languages like spanish, english, french, italian,........... very useful
Quote by Firenze
She's right. Finnish has nothing you could grasp onto by knowing English. I wanted to learn Finnish but instead took Norwegian which is a lot simpler and a lot closer to the English language.

Norwegian, eh?
God jul! Hva i halve helvete er det du driver med her?
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
Quote by Blackening
well i dont consider that dead. its important for all all medical jobs and helps you learn other languages like spanish, english, french, italian,........... very useful

I figured that it was dead since I can't think of anywhere that it's the primary language.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
I don't recommend learning a language as difficult as Finnish just because COB or whatever is from Finland (they're not even that good ).
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Minkaro
Schizophrenia rap?

*beatboxes*

I have schizophrenia, I talk to myself,
People startin' to doubt my mental health,
Maybe someday I'll get the help I need,
But till then don't be blamin' mah weed.

*scratches*
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

I live in Hungary and the Hungaraian language has the same roots as finnish (finno-ugrienne) and he gramatic is different the words are in NO WAY similar to any words from other languages
Quote by thedefrockednun
I live in Hungary and the Hungaraian language has the same roots as finnish (finno-ugrienne) and he gramatic is different the words are in NO WAY similar to any words from other languages

Yeaah.

I know there's a couple of loan words but when you are english/english speaking you take for granted things like "the french word for table is le table" and it becomes very difficult to learn each word case-by-case and remember it.

I study linguistics and i like to think i'm quite good at learning languages, but I've been struggling with Finnish for years and got relatively nowhere.
Quote by Mootallica
The language itself has intrigued me... It just sounds cool when spoken, and it could also be useful, I dunno, learning a new language always has it's benefits.

Looking at tutoring and stuff like that, at the moment, is something which is going to be out of the question.

Was wondering if anybody could point me to some free programs that help with teaching the language, not only through the spoken word, but the written language as well.

Help would be appreciated

Not strictly "free", but there's Rosetta Stone, which is a program which teaches all sorts of languages. I'm sure it includes Finnish.

I know it's readily available on the internet, depending on your morals re: filesharing.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Finnish is useless anyway even if you like learning, everyone here speaks English quite well so you won't have much use for it. If I would learn a language well, that would be Japanese since you can't get around there with only English very well.
Last edited by Naem at Jan 14, 2009,