Here we go! So I've decided on my budget, under $1000 Australian dollars (can stretch it about $150), and decided on the genre!

Now I know there's a lot of metal, so my main focus will be on in-your-face heavy, such as Children of Bodom, Amon Amarth, late Norther. De-tuned death metal glory. I also want a good crunchy sound for Megadeth and Hammerfall. Pretty much thrash and powermetal.

I don't care if its tube or solidstate, as long as it sounds GOOD. Too many people focus on the label of owning a "tube" amp, when in fact, there are many bad sounding tube amps.

So far I've looked at:

Peavey Vypyr 30 - 30 watts for good bedroom volume. Loads of amp models, and it apparently sounds really awesome. YouTube clips sound a bit thin though.

Bugera 6262 / 333xl - One of these two, it doesn't matter, although I'm leaning towards the latter. GREAT tone for the price, the soundclips on YouTube are very impressive. I'm a bit worried about the volume though, 120 watts is a bit much for bedroom level, and, because its tube, I definitely want to push it for better tone.

I know its only two, but out of many clips and reviews I've heard and read, those two seem to be the most standout for their price.

So, dear friends, my question is this! Buy the Vypyr and have $500 left over for something else, get the Bugera and worry about the volume levels later, or are there any other excellent sounding "metal" amps for under $1000AUD or $670USD?
Yes, I too am in Aus, and it does suck balls.

I would take a look at Randalls. Quite cheap in Australia, and highly recommended for a good SS amp. Also take a look at their tube models.

All I can think of atm apart from Bugera. I was talking to a clerk in Allens music and he said I might like a Bugera, if I want it to break down all the time. I found it funny. Others would slam down his comment, but I'm not too sure.

I played an Ibanez tubed halfstack also. Got some really nice heavy tones from it surprisingly. I was quite amazed.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
The Australian $ blows at the moment, it sucks.

I'd say either the Bugera or a Randall Combo. But the Bugeras have reliability issues.

The Vypyr is awesome, and you could buy some cool stuff with what's left over... if you played lots of different genres, I'd suggest the Vypyr straight away, but if you only play metal, may as well try and get a dedicated amp for it. Even if you can find a used Randall tube combo, that might be a good way to go.
Im not sure about your part of the World but you can get a nice 5150/6505 combo around here all day for $700. I just got a new one for $850. It's a 60w combo amp and exactly what you're looking for. I just dont know about the reliability of the bugera's. I haven't owned one but it got a reputation for a reason. There is nothing worse than a unreliable amp.
Personally i love my Bugera 333XL, but it sure as hell isn't a bedroom a amp. It's facking loud! And most people that have problems with them get their amps fixed very easily. Mine has been great for a month so far, and the tone is insane. I say go for it.
Smart Pothead and Proud
5150/6505 are to expensive over here, even used.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
The thing with bedroom amps is, since you'll no doubt be playing it quietly, you're not really gonna get a great sound out of it no matter what amp you get. With a bedroom amp, it's not really a question of sound quality, but more of the cheaper and the more effects, the better.

Looking at the amp you already have, I'd say go get yourself a nice, beefy metal tube amp (FYI, Alexi from COB plays a Kerry King Signature Marshall amp, but that's probably slightly out of your price range) which you can't really use in a bedroom, but part of the fun of playing guitar is playing with other musicians, so get a band together or something

If you must choose between the two, I'd go for the Vypyr, because a 120 watt TUBE amp is waaaay too loud for a bedroom; that'd be more suited to playing a gig.
And they are bloody hard to find too.

I've considered Randall, but I'm not too sure on their models. Perhaps you guys could give me some example models and I could do some looking up on them?

Quick edit: My bedroom level is considered shouting loud, but not at the top of your lungs. =]
Last edited by bapplebo at Jan 14, 2009,
Check out their site, then maybe go to eBay. I know they used to sell them brand new.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
On it right now, I'll post once I have some idea of what I'm doing on their site

As for the attenuator, what retail store would I buy it from? Billy Hyde, Allans? Supercheap Auto, Strathfield Car Radio? I'm confused.

Also buying online isn't an option. I've had many bad experiences buying online and getting sub-par quality stuff.
randall rg50tc, freaking love that amp
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
^ Is that the combo tube model? If so, I played that and I could see it could get pretty heavy and it sounded pretty great.
Quote by atr5557
Quote by b00m_
^ Is that the combo tube model? If so, I played that and I could see it could get pretty heavy and it sounded pretty great.

there is an rg50 head. and a 50 watt combo, I tried the combo and loved it to death. It actually was a veyr versatile amp, doing most styles of music great. It really excelled at metal though.

EDIT: it is tube
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Last edited by danyellenik at Jan 14, 2009,
Go for the Randall i think they are <$1000
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
How does the Randall compare to the Bugera though? Both sound very brutal and very crisp considering how detuned some of the clips I've seen are. Both are about the same price, so is it worth forking over an attenuator for the Bugera for arguably better tone?
But can you cope with the unreliability issues a lot/some/most people have with the Bugera's? Randall have a pretty good rep of being good, solid, reliable amps.

To me, Bugera just seem like toys.

Off to bed, night. Look at Randall's range. Go and play some.
Quote by atr5557
I'd say go Randall, more reliable imo.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Ampeg VH-140c if you can find one, but I doubt it especially in AU. Bugera or Randall.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
I've heard great things about the Vox Valvetronix range, and well mine is awesome..
If you got a ADVT30-XL itd be awesome, its a great amp.

Get the 50 or 100 watt if you have enough money.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Jan 14, 2009,
Go for the Randall RG50TC. You can get one for $999 from Eagle Music, who (I think) post free. It'll do metal perfectly and is far more reliable than the Bugera.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
By far you need to get the bugera. I played one in a store, and it blew my mind. I am going to get one soon.
This is Bob. Bob likes sharp things. Bob likes you. I suggest you run from Bob.

I wish my grass was Emo so it would cut itself.
Quote by bucketmark
5150/6505 are to expensive over here, even used.

that sucks, i just picked one up for $400 USD. that thing sounds amazing