So I added a Furman SPB-8 pedal board to my arsenal of equipment over Christmas, and I have a question regarding how I chain my effects through that into my Marshall VS100.

Currently, I've got my guitar plugged into the input jack of the SPB-8 and from there I go into a tuner -> EHX Metal Muff -> Big Muff Pi -> PH-3 -> volume pedal and back into the SPB-8 to send to the amp. I break out of my amp's effects loop into a DD-6 -> Line 6 DL-4 -> RV-3 and return to the amp. I separate the delays and reverb into the effects loop because I do like to use the amp's overdrive channel for lighter distortion, sometimes, and would like to modulate that if I choose. This works fairly well, but I'd like to clean up the cabling a bit and have all of my pedals routed through the SPB-8 to simplify moving the whole thing around when I go to play with a friend.

My question, then, is this: is there any reason that I shouldn't move the delays and reverb to the SPB-8's chain and stick the entire pedal board into the effects loop? The only thing that gives me pause is that I've never heard of anyone running a distortion pedal in an effects loop, and just wondered if there was any particular reason that should be. I understand that the effects loop breaks out between the pre-amp and power amp - would this interact badly with a distortion pedal?

Thanks for the time and insight.

Edit: Just so you don't think I'm completely daft and helpless, I'd go ahead and just try this to see how it sounds but I'm stuck at work for a few more hours and thought I'd throw the idea out there to see if anyone sees anything glaringly wrong with it.
Last edited by kylegumby at Jan 14, 2009,
just do what sounds best to you...

if it's any consulation, tom morello puts his whole pedalboard through the loop
generally distortion/overdrive sounds bad in the loop
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
generally distortion/overdrive sounds bad in the loop

This is usually the case...and delay and reverbs sound better in the loop. I usually just run everything out in front of my amp. Just go with whatever sounds best for you.
Hmm I wouldn't say it sounds bad, but it definitely sounds different! I find that that a distortion unit in the FX loop will sound truer to the original sound of the pedal (like if you were to run it into a clean amp) but personally I like to add some grit and gain by running my distortion units before the amp's preamp. You're gonna have to try both it and see which you like more. With this type of setup (FX before the amp and also in the FX loop) you're just gonna have to live with all the cables
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Boss SD-1 + 2 x Clones... all modded of course
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
wow i just tried an effects loops for the first time of my life... that thing is so awesome !!!!!! but yeah, TS, I don't know for you, but my big muff sounded really flat and not loud in the loop, and when I'd stomp on it it would reduce my volume but make a motherf*Cking feedback of the death combined with a chorus or delay (it'd become verrrryyyy loud too)
but now I do understand why everyone loves the loop, and I'm gonna get some cables to use it !!!
Quote by nbroers
Hmm I wouldn't say it sounds bad, but it definitely sounds different! I find that that a distortion unit in the FX loop will sound truer to the original sound of the pedal (like if you were to run it into a clean amp) but personally I like to add some grit and gain by running my distortion units before the amp's preamp. You're gonna have to try both it and see which you like more. With this type of setup (FX before the amp and also in the FX loop) you're just gonna have to live with all the cables

So if i were to run a very British sounding OD (Like the MI Audio Crunchbox for example) in the FX loop of an American voiced, very clean amp, like a fender, it would sound more British voiced?
Quote by Final !mpact
So if i were to run a very British sounding OD (Like the MI Audio Crunchbox for example) in the FX loop of an American voiced, very clean amp, like a fender, it would sound more British voiced?

Lol I guess so...
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Boss SD-1 + 2 x Clones... all modded of course
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
i love the sound of my Ts9 through the loop, im currently running it in front but im thinking of changing it back, it really changes the tone of the OD channel, makes it a lot fatter, almost like a fat crunchy Marshall tone. obviously its tonal preference
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg