Why is Caught in a Mosh main riff supposed to be picked strictly down? Alternate is so much easier. Does it sounds better? I can play this but MoP picked down is impossible for me
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
'Cause Scott Ian is a badass.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
sounds heavier cause you get the top strings strummed first and harder.... i think
Gear:

Tokai Les Paul LS65
Carvin MTS3200 212 Combo
Boss SD-1 with Monte Allums GT Mod
Dunlop Crybaby

100 Watt Marshall JCM900 2x12 Combo For Sale! £400! PM Me For Details/Offers...
It's 1 of the things what contributed that Mop became 1 of the most popular metal songs ever.

down picking through MoP sound like chopping, while alternate picking has more "swing" to it.

Metal riffs aren't supposed to swing, They are supposed to sound "choppy".

All that downpicking is pure energy which contributes to that particular song. I can't stress how much of a difference it makes. Not just because it's harder, but because it makes a distinct difference in the song.

If you play it easy, it also gives away it's easy. MoP sounds so evil and Brutal, because it's pure adrenaline and force which downpicking conveys, it's part of the **** it attitude and the "I'm gonna chop this riff so hard, u wanna smash heads in"

I'm sorry for the rant, but it is an essential part of that song and a lot of downpicked (metal) riffs in general.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 14, 2009,
If you check out your palm muted tone on upstroked powerchords you should see why pretty quickly.

Downstrokes just sound moar brutal except in the hands of an excellent rhythm player.
+ 1 to whats been said.

it's as simple as this:
All down picks sounds different than alt picking. An artist will choose to use the technique that gives the appropriate sound for the riff/song.
shred is gaudy music