Page 1 of 2
well, after much research, i found out i had fell victim to a fake chinese epi white les paul custom which i bought for £275.

Thing is, i like it. I like the way it plays, i like the way it looks. Only i and the keenest eyed guitarist could tell. Pickups dont sound too bad, but was thinking of replacing them anyway.

So, i am torn between sending it back and asking for a full refund, then having to pay an extra £200 for a real epi, or keeping it and maybe replacing the pickups, although the pickups seem authentic anyway, with the epi stamp on the inside of them.

What are your opinions?
What side-effects would having a fake epi produce?
None, really.
If it plays well, keep it.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
As long as you dont go round telling people is real just keep it if you like how it plays.

Although play a real one to make sure the real one doesnt play better.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Some epi's are made in china anyway so legitimate factory A gets higher margins than illegitimate factory B because of the brand name epiphone is. I wouldn't sweat a fake epi, consider yourself lucky that you got a guitar set up better than the real deal, well epi is hit and miss most of the time...

Oh unless you want to send it back and demand they send you a fake gibson lp custom
I mean if they're going to fake, may as well go whole hog...
1990 Gibson LP Studio
2007 American Deluxe Stratocaster
2006 Taylor 510-ce
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Last edited by Deathcabforpat at Jan 14, 2009,
Where did you buy it from? If it was from a shop you could get them in a world of shit for selling you a fake.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
yes there is. No resale value at all but if you are planning to keep it forever then it's all cool
If the shoe fits, wear it. Or, more aptly, if the axe rips, shred it.
Quote by Ninjake
... isn't mung like, a bean?
I read someplace that it's illegal to even own fake guitars, so if there's a chance that someone's going to inspect it (ie, a guy setting it up for you in a shop) and report is as a fake, i'd ask for a refund. Not only that dude, but it might seem fine now- what if like something goes wrong with it due to poor workmanship/materials in the next couple of months or so? You're out of pocket.
Where did you buy it from? Pictures? As for a shop owner reporting you, maybe if it was a Gibson, but they aren't going to take that chance of running off customer(s) and looking like jackasses if it is a fake. That is an incredibly stupid gamble to take in you way you suggested. I don't live there, but I'm pretty sure the UK is not Nazi Germany,
Pics and details of where you bought it would be cool. But anyway I think if it plays well, keep it.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
well , keep it if it plays well, keep it man. I personally don't care too much about the brand, just about the body-style and the quality, if you think it sounds good to you, great !
heres some pics for you guys

As you can see from the last picture, the tuners on the bag of the headstock are clumsily fitted, and the tailpeice is slightly off line but i can do with that and i still think it looks beautufil.

Think you guys convinced me to keep it.

Would it be wise to re-wire the whole thing?
The head stock is the wrong shape...

But if it plays well who cares if it's 'real' or 'fake'. It sure as hell isn't a fake guitar, so if you like it, keep it, play it, love it.

Quote by RoaryB.
I read someplace that it's illegal to even own fake guitars, so if there's a chance that someone's going to inspect it (ie, a guy setting it up for you in a shop) and report is as a fake...

This would be absurd. Who would it be reported to? And, any attempt to 'confiscate' it would be theft. I call shenanigans.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Jan 14, 2009,
the headstock is mishapen,but other then that it looks nice
i'd keep it
or return it
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
You know, the funny thing is that about half the people on this forum (ok maybe not that much) owns fakes and don't know it. That's why I'm not into brand buying anyway. It doesn't matter if it's a fake, if it plays nice and you like it what needs to be genuine?
what do you mean the headstock the wrong shape? its that shape on all 2008 models of customs isnt it?
Quote by timi_hendrix
Where did you buy it from? If it was from a shop you could get them in a world of shit for selling you a fake.

Maybe you'll actually answer the question this time. If you bought that guitar from a shop, you could get yourself an actual Epiphone as a replacement. I'm pretty sure trading standards would have a few things to say about a shop selling fake guitars.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
idk if its just me, but I would return it if they were selling it as if it was a real epi, thats just wrong. I would return it and buy from someone else.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by vindapop
what do you mean the headstock the wrong shape? its that shape on all 2008 models of customs isnt it?

It's the Epiphone headstock shape, but more angular. It's not very dramatic, but I own an Epi too, so it's noticeable to me.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by fifer
idk if its just me, but I would return it if they were selling it as if it was a real epi, thats just wrong. I would return it and buy from someone else.

I agree with you, if you bought it used or something there prob isn't much you can do but if you're absolutely sure it's fake return it with initial proof of purchase etc
Quote by Pac_man0123
Is it the angle that the picture is at or is the body misshapen as well?

Personally i wouldn't keep a fake guitar but if you like it, by all means keep it.

Yeah, It looks a little misshapen the body right at the curves is pretty narrow, kinda anorexic looking
Gibson 1972 SG Pro T-Top Bridge, P90 Neck
Dean DBD T ML
Jackson JS30RR EMGs 85-81
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Line6 Spider III HD75 Head - Behringer 412
Saving for a Marshall JCM 800.
here's how you can clearly tell it was made in china... there's a sticker on the back that says "crafted in china." you don't have to look closely at the tuners or realize that the bridge is off-line...
Quote by timi_hendrix
Maybe you'll actually answer the question this time. If you bought that guitar from a shop, you could get yourself an actual Epiphone as a replacement. I'm pretty sure trading standards would have a few things to say about a shop selling fake guitars.

Woah chill!!!
Got it off ebay, if i bought it from a shop i'd obviously be going back and ordering them to give me a real epi. And if they say no, i torch the place.

Here: Ebay link to the guitar i bought

I stupidly threw away the box, but i still have all the documents that come with it.

I cant say im convinced about the headstock, but i'll take your word(s) for it.
I definately cant see the difference in the bodies. Ive googled it and cant see differences in shape.

Still, like i said, cosmetically, i love it. Im just worried about the sound. Ive heard the wood can have a large effect on the tone and sustain, so what are your thoughts?
Quote by randomhero93
here's how you can clearly tell it was made in china... there's a sticker on the back that says "crafted in china." you don't have to look closely at the tuners or realize that the bridge is off-line...

hhmm seems you didnt read my post properly, or know that epiphone and gibson has legit factories in Quagong, China.
Quote by vindapop
hhmm seems you didnt read my post properly, or know that epiphone and gibson has legit factories in Quagong, China.

oh, i've known, you're just saying that you had to "look carefully" for these flaws... I'm just pointing out the sticker...
Quote by randomhero93
oh, i've known, you're just saying that you had to "look carefully" for these flaws... I'm just pointing out the sticker...

Am I?
Just take the Made in China sticker off, and it's probably about the same thing. :p
I'm kind of a noob to this, but... how can you tell it's fake?
Quote by vindapop
Only i and the keenest eyed guitarist could tell.

Quote by vindapop
Am I?

yes
guy if they advertised it as a genuine epi, dont you feel a little ripped off? its not the fact that it plays well and you like it, or that its a fake, its the fact that you received a product that you didnt buy. you bought a genuine epi les paul custom right? well did you receive a genuine epi les paul custom? no!

i would be pissed off. it has nothing to do with the brands or fake or real or blah blah blah. its the fact that you thought you were buying one thing and got another.

if they advertised it as a replica epi les paul, would you have bought it? maybe, but i bet you were more interested because it was a genuine les paul, not a copy.
i got a friend and a band mate who have epiphone custom's and one is here in my basement examining it its got straight tuners and a tail piece the headstock looks identical tho except maybe the binding but that could just be the picture and depending on the year they changed the truss rod cover theirs a few epiphones that say gibson not les paul custom why i'll never no but definatly get a hold of where u bought it and raise hell
Keep On Keepen' On
Quote by JessyB96
i got a friend and a band mate who have epiphone custom's and one is here in my basement examining it its got straight tuners and a tail piece the headstock looks identical tho except maybe the binding but that could just be the picture and depending on the year they changed the truss rod cover theirs a few epiphones that say gibson not les paul custom why i'll never no but definatly get a hold of where u bought it and raise hell

seriously dude. you should get a full refund and then some if u ask me for even having to deal with f*ucks like tat
how come before i posted the pics, people were saying "ah just keep it if you like it", now people are saying i should send it back, regardless if i like it??

I understand what metalhead is saying and i completely agree though, although i dont think the guy knows he's selling epi copies. Because he's an ebay seller, what else can i ask from him other than a full refund?

and, so what about the quality of the wood, will that make such a huge difference, even with replacement wiring and pick-ups?
I dont think the same people that told you to keep it are telling you to take it back. just different opinions. I think that if someone is selling a fake lp, they should say its fake. he should have checked if it was real or fake before he sold it...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by fifer
I think that if someone is selling a fake lp, they should say its fake. he should have checked if it was real or fake before he sold it...

mmm good point...
after reading all this i had to enter the serial number from my Epi LP Standard, and it is made in the same place (Qingdao Plant [Epiphone], China).

does this mean mines is a fake too? or are neither of them fake?
There's no point fearing death, as it is inevitably going to happen

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
There were subtle grammar mistakes in that listing that were very obvious to me. Clearly written by someone with a minimal understanding of English.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by craig_mccann
after reading all this i had to enter the serial number from my Epi LP Standard, and it is made in the same place (Qingdao Plant [Epiphone], China).

does this mean mines is a fake too? or are neither of them fake?

nah its that mine has a fake serial code.

I'd head over to www.mylespaul.com's forums and check yours though, thats how i found out

have a look at the 'Fake Epiphone Thread' sticky at the top of the epi section and on the last page is my example
Last edited by vindapop at Jan 14, 2009,
Page 1 of 2