i went to play a DVD on my PS2 the other day and it kept saying things like "Disc read error". so i tried another DVD, same thing. well after trying like 14 other DVDs i came to realize it no longer plays DVDs, yet it still plays videogames no problem. anyone got any advise on how to fix this? and if anyone needs to know its the older bigger version and its quite a few years old
that happened to me too.
but after a while my ps2 stopped playing videogames too.
i had to bought a new one.

When the bell rang to change classes at school, I walked into the hallway and yelled, "I MASTURBATE TO DUCK SEX" and started imitating a duck having sex.

The laser lens probably needs cleaning, you can buy a special CD you put in and it cleans it.

Happened to me with blue PS2 discs a couple of years ago, cleaned the laser, good as new.

I've had my PS2 since its UK launch and that's the only problem its ever had.
read the title again and you might find out where you went wrong

hint: SONY!
If life gives you oranges, say "f*ck oranges" and bail.

Hey You!
Quote by freedoms_stain
The laser lens probably needs cleaning, you can buy a special CD you put in and it cleans it

where can i find this?

Quote by ThinLizzyFan
read the title again and you might find out where you went wrong

hint: SONY!

huh?
PS2 has a limited lifespan, the laser kicks out after a few years, it'll stop reading dvd's first, certain games will follow after, then the rest will no longer work.

PS1 games seem to be invincible though :/ They'll always work on it no matter how far down the line it degrades.
The big version? I got a PS2 when they first came out, I went through 3 of them, I kept getting free one's because of the warranty, but it's rediculous that they break so easily.
I've had my gamecube for over 7 years and it's yet to have had any problems, kudos nintendo.

Try setting it on it's side.
Quote by freedoms_stain
^I've had mine since Christmas 2000, still works.

Same here, except for blue game discs, and PS1 coloured discs won't work on it
So I
a)Bought Crazy Taxi for the PSP
b)Bought a PS1 for my FF games

Which is my advice to you
Get a DVD player...
There was a fairly common issue with some of them where the mechanism for the laser got out of whack and resulted in these errors. I had a similar problem, opened it up and adjusted it and then it worked great again.

I'll see if I can find a link.
And voila:

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

It worked for me. I'm not an expert and can't help you with any specifics since I only did it once and it was several years ago. But give it a shot, you may be able to rescue it.

EDIT: In the interest of public safety, I should point out that CD drives have a laser in them. They don't use light from the visible spectrum, but they can still damage your eyes.

In other words - don't look into the laser. You won't se anything anyway, but that doesn't mean that it cannot damage your eyes.
Last edited by Howard2k at Jan 14, 2009,
if you have the old ps2, the big blocky one, just wipe the lens with a cotton swab, its not that hard to take it apart, you just gotta be careful
Quote by tushmeister

Which is my advice to you
Get a DVD player...

i already own one. but its in the living room. its mainly a convience factor

Quote by Howard2k
And voila:

It worked for me. I'm not an expert and can't help you with any specifics since I only did it once and it was several years ago. But give it a shot, you may be able to rescue it.

ill give it a try
Buy a new one.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Quote by Howard2k
And voila:

EDIT: In the interest of public safety, I should point out that CD drives have a laser in them. They don't use light from the visible spectrum, but they can still damage your eyes.

In other words - don't look into the laser. You won't se anything anyway, but that doesn't mean that it cannot damage your eyes.

I did that to my old PS2 and it didn't really do anything except for not make anything work anymore, lol... it kind of worked for a few days or so but eventually the damn thing just quit on me.
We bought a slim PS2 and it works fine lol :]
Buy a PS3

/thread
Se habla español

Quote by pinheadslts75
People come up with the dumbest names for sexual acts. And the most disgusting concepts for sexual acts.

I'm tempted to report this thread because of how weird this is getting.

I saw x/taluha get her clock
If it makes you feel any better I tried fixing my Nintindo AND my old laptop today and neither of them work...
LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER
I've had my PS2 since a couple months after launch here and it's never had any problems.

My Super Nintendo still works perfectly, too.