I've been playing about 8 months mainly using downstrokes.

Now I'm moving to upstrokes as well no increase my frequency of playing.

However upstrokes on 3 and 2 note powerchords seem reallly hard, and I'm not sure how to improve them

Also how do I improve alternate picking on the high E string?
just keep practicing. if you mute out the unused strings with your fretting hand than it wont matter if you hit extra strings (cause they'll be muted).
How am I supposed to fret powerchords?

For a
5 powerchord for example, I use my first finger to fret the 5 and my third fingers to fret to the two 7's, is that correct?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
How am I supposed to fret powerchords?

For a
5 powerchord for example, I use my first finger to fret the 5 and my third fingers to fret to the two 7's, is that correct?

Yep, that's it.

I could tell you to cheat a little bit and only play the 5 and 7 without the last 7. You will get the same basic sound, but it will not be as full.

As far as upstrokes go, just like everyone else stated. Practice, practice. It sounds generic, but with guitar, that's the main variable. Practice.

You will get the hang of strumming up on power chords if you go very, very slow at first and get the rhythm down and increase speed gradually.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
I would fret the 7's with the third and fourth finger. Then your index finger naturally mutes the higher strings.
Don't just practice upstrokes on their own, work on alternate picking instead.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Don't just practice upstrokes on their own, work on alternate picking instead.

SS is a very wise bird.

I am a beginner so I have been slowly practicing alternate picking/strumming power chords. Really, it just takes going very slowly and building it up. Guitar Pro is an essential tool in developing this.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Use your index to fret the note you want, and also lay across the higher strings to mute them. Thats how powerchords are suppose to be played.
Also try changing the angle of your pick when you strum. Try hitting the strings with more of the edge of the pick and less of the flat part. Keep your hand relaxed and your wrist loose.

And as everyone else said...practice!
There's no shortcut to technique building. Sit down for 13 hours a day, and practice. It's really fun anyway
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Quote by Rabada
I would fret the 7's with the third and fourth finger. Then your index finger naturally mutes the higher strings.

This is how I do it. It's the exact same position you would use to do a barre chord except your only putting pressure on the one string with your index finger.
2002 Muddy Waters Fender Telecaser (MIM) (w/ Bill Lawrence pickups & black matte pickguard)
2006 Ibanez sz520qm (w/ Grover tuners)
Epiphone DR-100

Traynor YCV50-Blue
Toneport GX / Ampltube 2