As the title says, I'm considering moving out of my parents house within the next year. I'm not in school or anything as of yet because I don't know what I'm going to do with my life. The catch is if I move out, I'm moving to a completely different state. I'm going to need a decent job. I'll need to make enough money to pay for an apartment, vehicle insurance and a few other necessities. I was wondering what would be the best way about finding a job and getting a job in a city thats 800 miles away. I'll be visiting there a few more times between now and when I move but no more than 2-3 times. I'm not going to be moving up there without any money, but I will need a job. I'm planning on saving as much as I can(goal of $5000) plus whatever it costs for me to move and get up there again. That way in case I can't get a job first, I'll still have some money to support myself until I can find a decent job. Any suggestions?
Member #4 of the I hate "only" threads group

Quote by snow blind
i tryed to smash a guitar once... but it just flew up right back into my face and smashed me

Quote by Kiffa
Surely you can shove a wireless into an effects board, run about, stop and make weird noises, run again.
What's special about the place you may move to? You may just be better staying at home or moving to a place closer to home until you get settled more with your life.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
i would not move out until you know you have a job waiting for you
You're gonna move, spend all those money in a few weeks and then move back to your parents

Seriously, get a job.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Piece of advice: if you've never lived on your own, you may wanna rethink your radical decision. Yes, you have a good plan, and I'm glad for you. Many people are too foolish to come up with a plan as nice as yours.

The thing is, you might not be ready to live on your own, so you should try moving maybe 100 miles from your parents. That way you're far away enough to be independent, but you can always visit if you have a free day or two. When I moved, I thought I'd be all set. But my job doesn't pay enough, I've spent all of my savings, and I'm having a terrible time trying to find a second job/ full time job.

There's also a lot of responsibility in living on your own. You'll have bills to pay, and you can't be late on those. I pay $415 for rent, utilities, TV and internet, but that's most of my paycheck (but only because I don't get enough hours at my job). If I'm late paying rent, I pay an extra $40 a day. If I'm late on utilities, it gets deactivated until I pay it off, then I pay a fee to reactivate it. Hell, I have to pay for my garbage pick-up up front (I rent a house that's part of the township but not the city, therefore I pay for trash), so if I'm too late with putting the trash on the curb I'm S.O.L.

EDIT: One thing that can really help is working for a franchise that will let you transfer to wherever you're moving. That can really help you out while you look for a better job after you move.
Last edited by dudius at Jan 14, 2009,