Right, I've noticed that quite a lot of people ask about inspiration. I've been writing a lot lately and obviously I need inspiration too. I have my own way of bringing out feelings to put in songs. I usually put on some slow songs, have a look at other people's work, go to a place you like, the beach for example, or read about a subject that you could focus your song around, child abuse for example. The slow songs are really important for me, it helps you get in the mood and helps you relax and think. Don't hurry your songs, if you can't think of anything, don't just put something in to finish it, leave the song unfinished and go somewhere else and do something else and come back to it. Drink a lot of water too, it helps stimulate your brain and helps you concentrate. All this helps me write songs, it may be different for you but just try it and don't force the song out, it'll ruin it. Hope this helped and if anyone else has any suggestions on what they do, please post them!
I defecate all over my clothes to get extra protected
Roses are Red
Violets are Bitchin
God Dammit Woman
Get Back in the Kitchen
Can I add my contradictory strategies? Open forum so I'm going to anyway :p

Of course I agree with not rushing things, and being patient enough to make sure the right things go into the final draft of your song, but I think forcing things out is great, and I purposfully don't try to get into a specific mood when writing a song, I instead just focus on having a comfortable working environment.

Specifics:
Lee likes picking a topic, that's a good call. I like to pick a person I know, but not that well and write a song about how I imagine his or her situation to be. I also like to start with a handful of images and let them write the song. When I have writer's block, I give up trying to have controll over the overall messege of a piece and just write without controlling the work globally in that way. If you pull enough good pieces together, the song will speak for itself.

I believe in plowing through writers block with sure mass of writing, and I believe in giving the finger to the muse when she's not helping you out by writing anyway. No good ideas? Just write down 5 songs worth of garbage and you're bound to pull enough ideas and good images/rhythms/etc. to get a passable song created.

Just my approach added to compliment Lee's!
Quote by dullsilver_mike

I like to pick a person I know, but not that well and write a song about how I imagine his or her situation to be.

That a very good idea, I never thought of that, I'm going to use it, it almost gives a view through someone else's eyes, I love that idea +1 for you, and that's just given me inspiration lol I'm gunna write a song called Someone Elses Eyes, Thanks for that, should be done later and I'll post it up. Wow, made my day lol
Roses are Red
Violets are Bitchin
God Dammit Woman
Get Back in the Kitchen
right ok, I've done as I said I would and I've written a song called Someone Else's Eyes - thanks for the title by the way, if you wouldn't mind having a look, just click the link in my sig. Thanks for the idea I think this is one of my best songs and it is deffinately the one with most feeling
Roses are Red
Violets are Bitchin
God Dammit Woman
Get Back in the Kitchen