Page 1 of 3
Imagine an amp that had all the following:

1. Tube powered.
2. 15 watts, to get good overdrive and not be INSANELY loud.
3. Have a good clean channel.
4. Have a very good gain channel, with presence, deep, contour controls.
5. Master volume.
6. With a footswitch, fx loop, line out for recording, and good default speakers?

and what if this cost around 500 bucks... wouldn't this be the ultimate answer to all the people saying:

"I need a 500 metal tube amp"

Any opinions? Because I have an idea.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Make it happen sucka
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
doit
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
You won't get overdrive at reasonable volumes with 15 watts, and when you're playing live you might aswell go for 50 watts and you'll have more power.
I don't want a master volume with crunch channels and all that. I just want a single, clean channel and then choose my own OD pedal.
As few knobs as possible, just the treble, mids, bass, presence and volume.
No line out recording, I just put a mic infront of it...

I got it, the Bluesbreaker!
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
only 15 watts8|

i don't get out of bed for anything less than 30 watts
you are what you is
Ohm selector and a built in attenuator with headphone tap would be useful too. You should raise the price a bit as well. Outside of a Bugera, there is not much in the $500-$999 range.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by Hultan
You won't get overdrive at reasonable volumes with 15 watts, and when you're playing live you might aswell go for 50 watts and you'll have more power.
I don't want a master volume with crunch channels and all that. I just want a single, clean channel and then choose my own OD pedal.
As few knobs as possible, just the treble, mids, bass, presence and volume.
No line out recording, I just put a mic infront of it...

I got it, the Bluesbreaker!

Hmm... I'm liking this a bit more
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
More watts + attenuator instead = More win

But we all know this'll never happne anytime soon so pfffft =P
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Traditionally you need no less than a Marshall 50w to get the real tone out of humbuckers. Yes, you can have nice clean sounds but o/d has to be via a circuit below that level. 15w is a bedroom practice amp that won't blast the CD player away. (Used to be record player but we moved on since my bedroom playing days.)
Not even close.

Why?

Because there is no such thing as one size fits all for sound.

I prefer single channel, 50 watt all tube heads for the most part. So no, it would not work for me, at all.
^Exactly. I have one powerful amp for when I need alot of volume, and a small amp when I practise.
There! I won't ever be needing another amp, EVER.
(Only ****loads of pedals and guitars)
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by sesstreets
Imagine an amp that had all the following:

1. Tube powered.
2. 15 watts, to get good overdrive and not be INSANELY loud.
3. Have a good clean channel.
4. Have a very good gain channel, with presence, deep, contour controls.
5. Master volume.
6. With a footswitch, fx loop, line out for recording, and good default speakers?

and what if this cost around 500 bucks... wouldn't this be the ultimate answer to all the people saying:

"I need a 500 metal tube amp"

Any opinions? Because I have an idea.

No, Clean channel wouldn't have enough headroom/power to stay clean over a loud drummer in a real band setting.
What people tend to forget is the importance of sheer volume in a great guitar tone - no matter how hard you try there's certain qualities that simply can't be replicated at quietly, there's a whole other layer of dynamics that creep in as you hit a certain volume.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Alright, so lets say we change it to 30 watts? At this point I know a 30 watt tube amp can get DAMN loud.

Maybe 2 power tubes and 4 preamp tubes to get that saturated metal tone people like.

Its not a perfect amp, its just something I think thats missing.

Also, reliability, if it were to exist it would have to NOT USE ****ING CLIPS COUGH BUGERA COUGH COUCH ACK COUGH WHEEZE DIE
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
Alright, so lets say we change it to 30 watts? At this point I know a 30 watt tube amp can get DAMN loud.

Maybe 2 power tubes and 4 preamp tubes to get that saturated metal tone people like.

Also, reliability, if it were to exist it would have to NOT USE ****ING CLIPS COUGH BUGERA COUGH COUCH ACK COUGH WHEEZE DIE

Still wouldnt have the headroom needed for what I play...
50 watts is starting to get into the "damn loud" area =/
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Quote by steven seagull
What people tend to forget is the importance of sheer volume in a great guitar tone - no matter how hard you try there's certain qualities that simply can't be replicated at quietly, there's a whole other layer of dynamics that creep in as you hit a certain volume.

totaly spot on, i know with my Marshall, when i`m alone and playing at 7 or 8 on the volume i get the best tone out of it, it`s great.

i say put the watts to atleast 50 and the built attenuator. oh and a built in noise gate, that`d be sweet...... oh and a lead boost, kinda like combining a Marshall JCM 800 2203KK with a Mode 4 and a THD hotplate.
Quote by sesstreets

You really need to understand what headroom is and does for each genre of music before you can design the perfect amp... Do some research and it will clear up a few things...
Quote by sesstreets

There is the invention of the volume knob to consider.

My Mesa/Boogie MKIII Simul-Class Coliseum is 180 Watts, and I don't have to play it LOUD to get it to sound great. Just saying...

There are also other tools to use which make things manageable (Load Boxes, attenuators etc...)
I'm thinking of building a amp based on the sovtek mig circuit, but have the added ability to select the mid freq and an extra gain stage tube. The amp would probably be 50w and I would use some pretty high quality parts.
My band.
www.myspace.com/bransonny

My gear.
Marshall: JCM800 2205, 6100, 1960AV
H&K: Triamp MKII, Duotone
Mesa: Recto recording pre, 212
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
Gibson: LP std, SG std, SG goth, SG spec
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
you've been on the quixotic elixir again

then theres that whole "low wattage amps cant do metal" row

also: you'd have a job keeping 15w clean at volume

i think the bogner alchemist comes pretty close here, OK its not exactly $500 but it still sounds fantastic at TV volumes
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by sesstreets

What if some of us don't like metal? You'd never guess it from looking around UG, but there are people who don't play metal. At all. No one amp will ever be perfect for more than a small fraction of players.
One size never fits all. It's really just that simple.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by sesstreets

Something I've been pondering...

Isn't Bugera the panther in the Jungle Book?
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
Quote by willyman101
Something I've been pondering...

Isn't Bugera the panther in the Jungle Book?

thats Bagheera
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by ShredGod George
thats Bagheera

And I'm pretty sure he's a bassist so he won't want your amp anyway.
Im all with sesstreets regarding wattage. Maybe 20-30 at most would be more perfect. At least for me my 20 watt marshall head has all the headroom I could ever need and then some, only I can get some very very nice breakup at usable volumes. Still very loud, but Im able to crank it most places I play( at which point anyone in the room feels the rumble in their entire body). I really dont know why people say you need more, unless were talking metal only here. And to whoever said he had the bluesbreaker. Thats 30 watts? Or did I misunderstand something.

I've had several 50watt heads in the past, and really I sold them off quite quickly as I was never able to get them near their sweet spots anywhere I play.
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
Last edited by chrisdam at Jan 14, 2009,
i guess krank attempted this with the rev jr, but unfortunately, krank amps are expensive as all hell.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
i guess krank attempted this with the rev jr, but unfortunately, krank amps are expensive as all hell.

They're also kinda lame
Quote by steven seagull

yeah, definitely.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by zachman5150
They're also kinda lame

i dont get why kranks are bashed on so much, id take one over a lot of other high-gain amps i tried that were more expensive
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
mmm... thats hard to achieve, i mean to get a 500 U$S amp like that
Ivan!

Proghead+Metalhead= ME

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

URL=http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ar gentina
Quote by Ddjembe Mutombo
I'm thinking of building a amp based on the sovtek mig circuit, but have the added ability to select the mid freq and an extra gain stage tube. The amp would probably be 50w and I would use some pretty high quality parts.

You do realize that it's basically a JCM800, right?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
i dont get why kranks are bashed on so much, id take one over a lot of other high-gain amps i tried that were more expensive

I bash them because I've used them, and thought they were lame.
Page 1 of 3