I need to know if anyone knows of a good practice amp that can do decent recording.
Here is what I need it to do.

1. It has to be under 150 dollars (prefferably under 100 but i will go higher if i have to)
2. It has to be small and not too obnoxious (I am taking it to college)
3. I would prefer it to have a footswitch option, but I have other pedals that can work if I need them.
4. It needs to sound good at all volumes.
5. I use condensor mics to record.

Any help would be much appreciated. THANX!
This is Bob. Bob likes sharp things. Bob likes you. I suggest you run from Bob.

I wish my grass was Emo so it would cut itself.
If you super lucky and I mean hitting the lotto lucky you might be able to find someone selling a Ampeg VH-140C or one of the other amps in that series. Other then that your not gonna find much of anything at all..
For that price range you may struggle but the closest I could think of was a Roland Cube 15.
will the cube give me a good metalcore sound? Like I have an od pedal that I can use to boost the drive, but is the distortion worth anything? I have heard mixed things about it.
This is Bob. Bob likes sharp things. Bob likes you. I suggest you run from Bob.

I wish my grass was Emo so it would cut itself.
The MicroCube has an awesome rectifier model (along with a couple others). The only thing you dont get is an EQ (it just has tone). Pick up a Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ for $30, and you're all set. You will be very satisfied with the distortion.

The Cube 15 does not have the same distortion model. It''s ok for Hard rock.
Last edited by 667 at Jan 14, 2009,
just run a distortion pedal in front of a valve jr.
My band.
www.myspace.com/bransonny

My gear.
Marshall: JCM800 2205, 6100, 1960AV
H&K: Triamp MKII, Duotone
Mesa: Recto recording pre, 212
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
Gibson: LP std, SG std, SG goth, SG spec
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
I'm not sure there's anything in that price bracket I'd want to use for recording. I think you'd be better off getting one of the RP pedals from Digitech and recording direct to the computer and using headphones for practice. You'll get a much better sound.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Ddjembe Mutombo
just run a distortion pedal in front of a valve jr.

This is a big no. For metal? Nope.

The pedal suggestion was pretty good, just get like a POD or something if you're into recording. Dont get microcubes, they arent good. All other cubes are pretty decent however.
Quote by jarudy

Dont get microcubes, they arent good. All other cubes are pretty decent however.

Don't listen to this guy - he does not know what he is talking about (Cube-wise).

The MicroCube, Cube 30x and Cube 60x have the same r-fire model. The 15 and 20 don't.

Trust me, the MicroCubes distortion is awesome, probably the best as far as heavier distortion modeling amps.

You could go from the headphone out (1/4 jack) on the MC into your computers mic in (1/8) for recording.

Just go try them, you'll see.
Last edited by 667 at Jan 14, 2009,