I'm thinking of getting a new Ibanez pretty soon. The RG5EX1. That guitar is great and all, but it has the Edge III tremelo system. I've been checking out the reviews for it and basically, all the reviews were negative about it and I'm getting nervous about getting the RG5EX1.

But I was wondering, would it be possible if I get a new tremelo like a Floyd Rose or something and replace it? Is it a good idea? If so, would it fit and would it work properly?

Thanks.
I believe the OFR is a direct replacement for the Edge 3 but I couldnt say for sure
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
didn't someone make a website about this? I'll see if I have it somewhere
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
The OFR is a direct replacement, however, the Schaller model is not.
I believe the EDGE is a direct replacement too?

Gotoh does fit too but the route below the fine-tuners isn't as shallow as an ideal Gotoh route.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Even the EDGE III isnt a perfect fit, so some routing might be needed regardless for it to be 100%..

And that said out of all of them the OFR is gonna be the best choice...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jan 14, 2009,
wouldn't it just be easier to buy an rg1570?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
wouldn't it just be easier to buy an rg1570?

Haha, I don't have that kind of money at the moment.
Thanks so far guys.
Hmm, yeah my first pick was an OFR.
Some other things...how much is it? It doesn't say on the site.
Also, I'm not sure on how to install a tremolo. Does anyone know and can you walk me through it?
I wouldn't do that.

400 for the guitar + 200 for the Original Floyd + 50 for installing the new one = 650 bucks. With that money you could buy a killed guitar used that doesn't have a crappy trem.
I think an OFR system can cost about $300 USD.

You might as well use the money to get a better guitar in the first place.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Quote by sudmanster
Thanks so far guys.
Hmm, yeah my first pick was an OFR.
Some other things...how much is it? It doesn't say on the site.
Also, I'm not sure on how to install a tremolo. Does anyone know and can you walk me through it?

It's 170 for the OFR. http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/bridges/bridges.cfm?fuseaction=bridges_floyd_original
It's really easy, there should be videos on YouTube or you could hit up Project Guitar.
Quote by Brownie2
I wouldn't do that.

400 for the guitar + 200 for the Original Floyd + 50 for installing the new one = 650 bucks. With that money you could buy a killed guitar used that doesn't have a crappy trem.

You're right, that's a good point. This guitar is really good based on some of the reviews I've been checking out but the Edge kills it. I gotta keep looking then. I don't want a guitar too expensive (anywhere under $400) and I want it to have a locking tremolo. A guitar that's built to play heavy stuff (flat neck, 24 frets etc.). Think anyone can help me look?

Also, I've read a lot about the Edge III and how bad it is like I said before. Tell me the basic flaws about it, just to sum it up for me.
Last edited by sudmanster at Jan 15, 2009,
^ it's just made of cheap metal which will wear out before too long, and probably doesn't sound too good either...

Quote by sudmanster
Haha, I don't have that kind of money at the moment.

add the price of the guitar you're looking at to the price of an OFR (+ fitting), and you're likely to be pretty close to the price of the rg1570...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
why change it before it goes bad? if its setup properly it(edge III) will work just fine. if you want to replace it at least wait until it actually craps out, which we be well after 2-3 years. by then you will have gotten your moneys worth from the edge 3 and will (hopefully) be able to aford a different/better trem.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by f22master
why change it before it goes bad? if its setup properly it(edge III) will work just fine. if you want to replace it at least wait until it actually craps out, which we be well after 2-3 years. by then you will have gotten your moneys worth from the edge 3 and will (hopefully) be able to aford a different/better trem.

Haha, you read my mind. I was actually gonna say that in the next post. Yeah I'll consider this.
Last edited by sudmanster at Jan 15, 2009,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ it's just made of cheap metal which will wear out before too long, and probably doesn't sound too good either...

add the price of the guitar you're looking at to the price of an OFR (+ fitting), and you're likely to be pretty close to the price of the rg1570...

I'm gonna consider this as well.

Thanks guys!