Poll: What should I buy?
Poll Options
View poll results: What should I buy?
Marshall MG100HDFX
7 18%
Epiphone So-Cal 50H
8 20%
Other (if this is your option, please state)
24 60%
Voters: 40.
Yes, I like Marshall MG ...

Okay, I can't decide between two half stacks; The Marshall MG100HDFX (c'mon, you either love it or you hate it ... the marmite amp?) and the Epiphone So-Cal 50...

Basically, I love clean guitar, I love heavy distortion and I also love punk distortion (usually around 4-6 gain on most amps) ... I will be playing to crowds of roughly 400-600 people, so the decided amp must be pretty loud!!!

I'm a lead guitarist and I can't decide!!!

So ... UG?
Last edited by SkinnyVampire at Jan 14, 2009,
Go with the mg. 4-600 people will at the same time see that you have a Marshall stack. How cool is that?
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
I haven't worked with the 100HDFX yet, but I practice on a 30DFX.

Suggestion: MG's are notorious for sound like **** at high volumes when heavily distorted, make sure you test before the gig. Good luck bro.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Get the MG, it's a no brainer.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
You know what, someone is gonna say it eventually so I may aswell say it now, you DON'T need a halfstack. I've played to 1000 people with my tube combo on the 50Watt setting (I can use it on 50W or 100W but only need 50W) and had volume to spare.
I owned the MG halfstack for a year and the other guitarist in my band has one so I feel qualified to say I've had allot of experience with that particular amp, I garuantee you that if you buy that MG you will eventually regret that decision one day your ears will develop, you will hear a good tube combo up against your MG and realise you spent allot of money on an oversized practice amp which sounds WORSE as you turn it up. You can get a decent tube combo for the same price which will sound allot better than the MG and will improve the more you turn it up.

Don't hate me for this message, I'm only saying what probably 98% of UG is thinking, and I'm only putting this message out there because I don't want another person to make the same mistake I did, in other words, I'm trying to help.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
man I feel bad, get the socal it's a great marshall sounding amp waaayyy better than the MG
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I wouldn't say you love it or you hate it.... More like, you either hate it, or you have no ears.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
I wouldn't say you love it or you hate it.... More like, you either hate it, or you have no ears.

HAHA what he said.

there not the most horrible amps but you DO NOT want a MG for gigs. it WILL NOT be loud enuff, i play gigs i know, my other guitarest runs a Line 6 spider II 1/2 stack, he`s NEVER loud enuff, and they sound like hell after 1/2 3/4`s on the volume.

if you have the money and want a Marshall, get a JCM 900 either the 4100 or the 4500 it`ll do everything you want. and do it so much better then a MG. and they are LOUD, forget about effects in your amp, if you have to HAVE them, look into the Line 6 100 HD VALVE
i have an mg-50dfx on ebay- it could pass as new. $195 as of me typing this right now. Thats half of retail.
Quote by timi_hendrix

This man has your answer. Also, a nice tube combo will suffice.
Quote by timi_hendrix

haha

I vote for another amp.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
You really don't need a halfstack as a lot of cabs/combos get mic'd at shows, and even a 30-60watt combo is enough to play a show that size.

Out of the two named, I'd go with the Epi, sounds better, but won't get you a metal sound.. more along the lines of hard rock, but you can drive it with a distortion pedal, say, a Metal Muff, or perhaps a Hardwire distortion.

B-52 is another good choice.
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
You know what, someone is gonna say it eventually so I may aswell say it now, you DON'T need a halfstack. I've played to 1000 people with my tube combo on the 50Watt setting (I can use it on 50W or 100W but only need 50W) and had volume to spare.
I owned the MG halfstack for a year and the other guitarist in my band has one so I feel qualified to say I've had allot of experience with that particular amp, I garuantee you that if you buy that MG you will eventually regret that decision one day your ears will develop, you will hear a good tube combo up against your MG and realise you spent allot of money on an oversized practice amp which sounds WORSE as you turn it up. You can get a decent tube combo for the same price which will sound allot better than the MG and will improve the more you turn it up.

Don't hate me for this message, I'm only saying what probably 98% of UG is thinking, and I'm only putting this message out there because I don't want another person to make the same mistake I did, in other words, I'm trying to help.

To the OP, read this very carefully. Especially where it says "one day your ears will develop".
It's all personal preference man, whatever suits you is what you should get, not what WE tell you to get .
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Ok i've just noticed you said in another thread you are from the UK like myself, which is handy because I can now give more educated advice. You can get a used JCM800 or 900 combo for around the same price as the amps you've currently said you're interested in. Both the 800 and 900 will crush them in terms of tone and volume. I got my JCM900 combo for the exact same price I bought the MG halfstack for back in my naive days. I trust you'll heed the advice given to you on this forum and make the right decision.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Ok i've just noticed you said in another thread you are from the UK like myself, which is handy because I can now give more educated advice. You can get a used JCM800 or 900 combo for around the same price as the amps you've currently said you're interested in. Both the 800 and 900 will crush them in terms of tone and volume. I got my JCM900 combo for the exact same price I bought the MG halfstack for back in my naive days. I trust you'll heed the advice given to you on this forum and make the right decision.

sounds like a plan

thanks for all answers
Marshall MG's doesn't sound like Marshall, they sound like Marshall MG. Don't worry about wattage as you can always mic your amp up and a lot of ams have inputs in the back for external speakers. For that price you can just save up a bit more and buy a Valveking head and find a cab that goes nice with it. Check it out, never limit yourself to something you like, cause there is other stuff you like a lot more, just don't know it yet.
Anything but an MG!

OK, maybe not literally 'anything' but it would be pretty close.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Blackheart Hot Head 100

100w tube head. Should be loud enough for you
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
The marshall mg is the best amp in the world.

joking.
But it actually sounds decent if your good at EQing.
And theres so many better amps for the price
I leik music