I am looking into getting a new amp, and after reading reviews, it seems like the F series by mesa is some of the best "bang for your buck" you can get. I play rock, classic rock, and some metal, bands/artists like Zeppelin, RHCP, GNR, Ozzy, Metallica, etc. and I really need good clean tones. I also want to be able to get a Marshall style distortion.

I am trying to decide between the 30 and the 50, what I have read so far says that the F-50 is punchier and has more headroom on the clean channel, and that the F-30 is more british voiced. Is this a fair assessment? Also, is the F-50 significantly louder? I am going to be using this for home practicing, and possibly a few small gigs, so the lower wattage is looking a little better right now.

Can anyone give me a comparison of these two amps?

I am not closed to any other options, so suggest anything else you think would be a good option.

Thanks
If I remember correctly, the F30 and F50 combos both have a 12' speaker, so no, the 50 will not be significantly louder, but it will have more headroom for clean tones.

The F-30 will be better for british-style tones because it uses EL84 tubes, as opposed to the 6L6's found in the F-50, which I find to be better for cleans, or a heavy distortion for metal.

I guess the Peavey Classic is supposed to be pretty good for those bands as well. Well, maybe not Metallica, but everything else.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Dont forget the f100 I havn't heard the 100 compared to the 30 or 50 but apparently it sounds quite a bit better. As in, tighter low end, more gain to play with.
I believe the F series are the perfect metallica amp, you can get all the metallica tones with it, old or new. So if you can get one cheap why not...

BTW you can switch the f100 to 60 watts if 100 watts scares you
Last edited by vitchb at Jan 14, 2009,
how would a carvin x-100B work? I can get a half stack for under 600, and it has switchable wattage, 100/60/25
the carvin would be great. mostly because it's a paaain to find those mesas
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by ibanezplayer470
I am looking into getting a new amp, and after reading reviews, it seems like the F series by mesa is some of the best "bang for your buck" you can get. I play rock, classic rock, and some metal, bands/artists like Zeppelin, RHCP, GNR, Ozzy, Metallica, etc. and I really need good clean tones. I also want to be able to get a Marshall style distortion.

I am trying to decide between the 30 and the 50, what I have read so far says that the F-50 is punchier and has more headroom on the clean channel, and that the F-30 is more british voiced. Is this a fair assessment? Also, is the F-50 significantly louder? I am going to be using this for home practicing, and possibly a few small gigs, so the lower wattage is looking a little better right now.

Can anyone give me a comparison of these two amps?

I am not closed to any other options, so suggest anything else you think would be a good option.

Thanks

Hmm. At that price you could probably find a JCM of some sort
Maybe
but what would be better- the carvin, or the mesa? Enough mesas pop up on ebay that I could get ahold of an F-30 or F-50, so i am not worried about finding one.
I've never heard the carvin, but i do know that the mesa will deliver those tones well. Unless you actually are going to test the carvin at some point, out of those, id say the mesa... just becus i've heard it do those tones
Maybe check out the Mesa Express line. Theyre out there now, unlike the F30/50. Theres the Express 5:25 and 5:50 and they each have a switch to go from 5 watts to 25 or 50 depending on the model. Theyre expandable too, with an Expess cab. The 5:25 goes for about $1150 and the 50 goes for $1350. Expensive, but thats what mesa's are

EDIT: I was looking for an F30 of F50 but they are so hard to find. Ebay has them but I will not buy something I cant play on.
Last edited by bigfoamfinger at Jan 15, 2009,
Hmm... I tried an express at GC, and it was pretty nice, but out of my budget. i need to stay under 600. I have seen the f series amps on ebay for under 6, and have seen a couple go as low as 450
Quote by ibanezplayer470
Hmm... I tried an express at GC, and it was pretty nice, but out of my budget. i need to stay under 600. I have seen the f series amps on ebay for under 6, and have seen a couple go as low as 450

Ya i felt the same way man. I thought a low watt amp, even a Mesa, would be cheaper. I was disappointed when they told me the price. B52 has a 60 watt tube combo for $350, which is another option. I have heard the Valvekings from Peavey are pretty good too and are also in that price range. The only thing with those B52 and Peaveys is that they also have a bad rep when it comes to service if anything goes wrong. Check out a Fender tube amp too. I got the Hot Rod and threw in a Boss pedal and the thing shreds. Those are going for 600 on GC's site now, and theres some smaller options too.

If you go the ebay route, make sure to ask questions to the seller. Also, check You Tube for people who have demo'd the F30 and F50. That way you now what to expect if you win one from ebay and you wont be disappointed ( Bad thing with ebay is no returns for the most part).
not really interested in the VK, better than what I have now, but I feel like I can get a lot better for the price. the peavey classic was another option, but the gain channel didnt really do anything for me. A good gain channel is a must, I dont want to have to rely on pedals
X100b's are awesome amps, very versatile, 5 band active EQ (similar to F series ) I prefer the vintage ones as they came standard with 6L6 tubes while the newer ones have EL34 tubes (but they have bias switches anyway so it doesn't matter that much).

They have great 'chimey' cleans especially the 6L6 models, it might have just enough gain for metallica with the EL34s. The gain is still pretty nice sounding there just isn't as much on tap as the mesa Fs.

Used they go for less than 450 all the time in head version but the combos are pretty rare used.\

Quote by bigfoamfinger

not all-tube but older valvestates are ok
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Last edited by Deep*Kick at Jan 15, 2009,
I love my F-50. The cleans are to die for and are a huge part of my sound. As for the Gain Channel, I find that I use the Contour exclusively for higher gain situations. All in all, it is a great, versatile amp and definitely try one if you can to see if you like it. Everyone has different tastes!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by ibanezplayer470
bump

Can't really say much more without you going and trying the amps tbh. Have a listen and tell us what you think...
Are these Mesa's (F-50 and Express 5-50) available at guitar centers? The store locator on their website didnt list the guitar center in my area and it seems you can't buy them anywhere online (which sucks). Where have y'all gotten your Mesas?
Quote by GuitarDTO
Are these Mesa's (F-50 and Express 5-50) available at guitar centers? The store locator on their website didnt list the guitar center in my area and it seems you can't buy them anywhere online (which sucks). Where have y'all gotten your Mesas?

The F50 is older and they dont carry them anymore, at least at the GC's here. They DO carry the Express line now though

They are only available at certain locations. Wherever is on Mesa's site are the stores that carry them. Other than those listed, you can try Craigslist or Ebay, as I dont think any online stores carry them but I could be wrong.