I`ve been progressing along ok for a few months now and recently i bought my wife a guitar so we can play together , and to keep the noise down the amps are both turned down low and i`ve noticed when playing a G chord i`m muting the A string; the fingers i use are middle on A string and ring on E and pinkie on high E i know practice will certainly be part of the answer but do you have any execises that can help , i didn`t even notice it when the volumes turned up
yes all six strings buzz !! but it`s unique isn`t it
Put your pinky on the low e, your third finger on the B on the 3rd fret and the other two fingers in the same place you have them now. It sounds better.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Quote by ruffdog64
I`ve been progressing along ok for a few months now and recently i bought my wife a guitar so we can play together , and to keep the noise down the amps are both turned down low and i`ve noticed when playing a G chord i`m muting the A string; the fingers i use are middle on A string and ring on E and pinkie on high E i know practice will certainly be part of the answer but do you have any execises that can help , i didn`t even notice it when the volumes turned up

try

third finger on high (pitched) E
first on A string
second on low (pitched) E
EDIT: what he said ^^
Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH in Crimson Red
Reverend Sensei HB FM in Tobacco Burst
Fender Vintage C Neck, HH, Surf Green Nitrocellulose (Handmade)

Egnater Rebel-30 MKI Head
Egnater Tourmaster Series 412B 280W 4x12 Cabinet
try putting your middle finger on the low E, index finger on the A and your pinkie on the high e
most people fret it middle on E index on A and pinkie on e

EDIT: or just do what ^^^^ they said
Last edited by dmiwshicldply at Jan 14, 2009,
that's an awkward to play a G but i've seen a lot of people do it

i use my index for the A string and middle on the E string and put my ring on the e and b srting
e-3 ring
B-3 ring
G-0
D-0
A-2 index
E-3 middle
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Jan 14, 2009,
For a G chord your fingering would be middle on the E string, index on the A string and pinkie on the high e string. Try that out, I think you will find it easier.

EDIT: There weren't 6 responses when i clicked the reply button...
I'm Tyler
Last edited by Octtwe88 at Jan 14, 2009,
id suggest playing it with your index on the A string, middle on the G and pinky or ring finger on the high E. you can add you ring to the 3rd fret on the B string to give it a fuller sound, but thats just self preference. Do what feels most comfortable, and is easiest to play

EDIT:C'mon I cant really type that slow......right? anyways the guys above got it right
Quote by werty22
P0nx don't even play instruments. P0nx sold their instruments for booze money. And they sold their booze for heroin money.

Mesa Gear Fund- $350/ $2,000
^I like 3rd fret b too, sounds better.

And the way TS is doing it is quite useful for when doing quick changes to c
just practice plucking each string until theyr ring out then strum them until they sound right,keep practicing and itll just come,the "F" is a chord that discourages ppl not a G
Thanks people i`ll try everything suggested
yes all six strings buzz !! but it`s unique isn`t it
Index - A - 2nd fret.
Middle - Low E - 3rd fret.
Ring - High E - 3rd fret.
As another option - I'm not suggesting this is the one and only way you should fret a G, but it works well in some cases:

Low E: Thumb
A: Mute with tip of thumb
High E: Index finger

You can also use your index to cover the high E and the B string on the 3rd fret.

Again, just an alternate way of fretting a G I've seen used on occasion.
My Gear:
Epi SG Sunburst
Boss Metalcore
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL