Poll Options
View poll results: Peanut Butter?
Good for you
60 57%
Bad for you
44 42%
Voters: 105.
Page 1 of 2
I have a friend who's trying to lose weight but is totally addicted to peanut butter. He can't go a day without eating like half a jar of skippy. I keep telling my friend that he should cut down because peanut butter is high in fat but he keeps saying that it's not "bad fat", and that it's high in protein. Which one of us is right?

And please don't vote based on how bad or good you think it tastes.
Last edited by HGS9669 at Jan 14, 2009,
its essential
Lady Gaga if you're out there, i don't care if you have a penis or not, i will marry you
Its rich in the salt, i mean thats not good full stop.

It also tastes fecking horrible, its the worst thing ive ever put in my mouth.

EDIT : ^

Please dont put that in your sig :P i know its very tempting :P
its high in bad fat and its high in protein. depending on what kind of peanut butter hes eating. my brother buys this stuff that has a bunch of grease in it that you have to stir into the peanut butter to get a good consistency. it tastes good but its horrible for you
its good for you, those are the good type of fats. plus its got protien.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Depends on the peanut butter, if it's just blended peanuts/organic then it's recommended by bodybuilders as a good source of protein, if it's sunpat or skippy or w/e then they add a lot of crap to it that make it pretty bad for you.
Everything in moderation. Its a good food if you want to gain weight though.

Obviously if he eats a half jar per day and complains that he is not losing weight, the solution to that problem should be pretty clear.
in small quantities it can be good for you, but eating half of a jar every day is almost certainly bad.
i eat a little after i lift because of the protein but eating a lot can't be good for you so i voted no.
Quote by Anthony1991
Its rich in the salt, i mean thats not good full stop.

It also tastes fecking horrible, its the worst thing ive ever put in my mouth.

EDIT : ^

Please dont put that in your sig :P i know its very tempting :P

Wrong. Peanut butter is the food of champions.
Im not a fan of peanut butter, I got sick on it when I was little and since then never had it again.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
I used to eat a lot which might explain my weight problem, that and all the crap I pour down my gullet, he should probably cut back anyway, too much of anything is a bad thing.
peanut butter = bad

unless ur a vegetarian, then u need it for the protein. some ppl i know always carry some with em if theyre lacking protein
Your friend is a fat idiot.

'Good fat' is just a ridiculous marketing gimmick to protect fatty foods like butter. Good fat is just fat that isn't quite as artery clogging and cholesterol raising as say, lard or hydrogenated fat.

It is however still fat and like I say, fat is fat. Eating more than 90g of good fat a day is just as bad as eating 90g of bad fat. Losing weight involves cutting down on ALL fats, good and bad.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
I'm a vegitarian, so I really need the protien, so yes.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Depends on the peanut butter, if it's just blended peanuts/organic then it's recommended by bodybuilders as a good source of protein, if it's sunpat or skippy or w/e then they add a lot of crap to it that make it pretty bad for you.

So organic PB isn't bad for you? Maybe I can make my friend eat that instead.
Quote by HGS9669

No, peanuts are very high in oil and STILL bad for you in the concentrated quantity of peanut butter. A couple of sandwiches is fine, but eating a jar is dangerous. Three bags of peanuts will make you hit your daily fat limit, a jar probably has six bags mashed into it.
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-skippy-natural-i82825

yeah, half a jar is pretty bad for you, but a little is high in protein and low in saturated fat.

If a serving is two tablespoons (1 fl. oz) and a jar is, let's assume, 16 oz. then half a jar of skippy natural is like 1520 calories (mostly from fat), like twice his daily allotment of fat, and half again his daily saturated fat. gross.
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!
It's both good and bad.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
It will not help you lose weight at all if it is Skippy he is eating. Most peanut butter is loaded with sugar and salt. If they get the kind that is made of only peanuts, it would be a lot better. Just remember to stir good before eating!
Wait? There's something called peanut butter?!
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Quote by HGS9669
Have you ever seen what a jar of 100% peanuts peanut butter looks like?

The oil comes out of solution and there's a good 1-2cm of the stuff on top, you have to mix it back in before you can eat it, that's purely from the peanuts, it's got a shit ton of fat in it.

It's better for you if you MUST have peanut butter in your diet, but good for you? not quite.

Bodybuilders eat it with oats because they need the energy and they will use it. Your friend is just stuffing his face.
Eating that much a day is bad.

Don't forget all the preservatives and salt....
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by Rankles

'Good fat' is just a ridiculous marketing gimmick to protect fatty foods like butter. Good fat is just fat that isn't quite as artery clogging and cholesterol raising as say, lard or hydrogenated fat.

It is however still fat and like I say, fat is fat. Eating more than 90g of good fat a day is just as bad as eating 90g of bad fat. Losing weight involves cutting down on ALL fats, good and bad.

HDL's are essential for our diet, for getting rid of cholesterol, and they are found in Omega 3.

K here comes captain obvious: eating half a jar of anything a day, is more likely then not bad for you. People need to stop looking for excuses. There is no such thing as Diet cake. Want to lose weight? DON'T EAT CAKE FATTY.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Quote by soccermom
HDL's are essential for our diet, for getting rid of cholesterol, and they are found in Omega 3.

K here comes captain obvious: eating half a jar of anything a day, is more likely then not bad for you. People need to stop looking for excuses. There is no such thing as Diet cake. Want to lose weight? DON'T EAT CAKE FATTY.

Salt is essential to our diet, doesn't mean eating a jar of it won't kill you.
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
you cannot eliminate ALL fats from your diet, that's not only super dangerous but you can die from it. you need fat to live as much as carbs,proteins and other food groups. you simple need far less. eating half a jar of skippy a day; that's fucking crazy i've been eating full spoons of skippy for the past 4 days and im only 25% done with the jar. Im trying to gain weight however, i would definitely not suggest peanut butter for losing weight. it's healthy though; at most neutral; bad for you, hell no, at least not in moderation
Quote by yellowfrizbee
lmao XxGloriousxX is a genius

Quote by Pinky19
You guys fail. Except for you Glorious. You win.

Once again.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I would shoot them to death yes, but trying to aim for non-leathal, hoping they live.

which one is it Guitarfreak777?
I wouldn't say it's bad for you in moderation, but it's definitely not a good weight loss food.
There's a reason it's recommended for people trying to bulk up.
The setup:
Fender MIM Fat Strat (midnight wine)
Fender Blues DeVille 410
Digitech GNX3 Multi-effect
Fender CD140SCE Acoustic-Electric
Quote by Rankles
Salt is essential to our diet, doesn't mean eating a jar of it won't kill you.

As stated by my second point.

and I was referring to your point on their being no 'good fat'.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Quote by Rankles

If I'm not mistaken, you still need fats in your diet. Controlling your fat in-take is the only thing you need to worry about. And if you need fats, might as well go for the "Good" ones.
"We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment"

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
Some beethoven sounds delightful, as well.
I hope it's Good for you, cause I eat it all the time.

__.-~~~~-.|___|___|__
_/********\_|___|___|
|*/**\**/**`~~~~~-.__
||****|**0*********@_
||****|***.********|_
\|****|***\*******/__
_\****/**/`~~~~~~`|__
_('--'""`)__|___|___|
Quote by Jesus
LedDaveZeppelin, You are so awesome.
Quote by Rankles

No offense intended, but you couldn't be more wrong. Certain fats have a different reaction to the body. Mono-unsaturated fats are healthy for many reasons. One of them being the ability to lower low density cholesterol (LDLs) and raise high density cholesterol (HDLs). There have also been studies saying that the omega-3's in peanut butter help to lower risk of coronary hearth disease.

The body digests mono-unsaturated fats differently than other fats due to the molecular make-up of it. These fats are very healthy. Of course, that's with moderation, as is everything.

Hydrogenated fats aren't healthy because people forcibly change the molecular composition of the fats which in turn doesn't allow the Human body to digest them.

Peanut butter is one of the healthiest foods out there. Granted, it is high in calories, so you definitely won't lose weight by eating a lot of it, but it is extremely healthy. Again, tell your friend that eating half a jar a day is not going to benefit him, health-wise or weight-wise. But in a moderate amount, peanut butter is very healthy. Make sure it's not skippy or that other crap though, tell him to buy the natural peanut butter.

Edit - And for the record, my brother's a bio major, which is the reason I can confirm majority of this.
Last edited by Jbar at Jan 14, 2009,
Good

Bad

Tell him to start eating natural peanut butter, and he'll be sorted.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Ah, the amount of horrible advice in this thread is entertaining. Eating a crapload of ANYTHING isn't going to be good for losing weight. Peanut butter IS GOOD FOR YOU though. It might not be the most nutritious food on the planet, but it certainly isn't bad for you. It has good fats, and good protein.

"Good fat' is just a ridiculous marketing gimmick to protect fatty foods like butter. Good fat is just fat that isn't quite as artery clogging and cholesterol raising as say, lard or hydrogenated fat."

That's not really true. All fat (apart from trans/hydrogenated fat of course) is essential for you. 'Good fat' is not labelled at all like you said. I mean, the only BAD fat for sure is hydrogenated fat, all other fat is good (there are tons of uses for it in the body). If you take in a reasonable amount, it's not going to clog your arteries or raise your cholesterol necessarily.

edit: also, eating 90g of "good" fat a day is NOT "just as bad" as eating 90g of bad fat. In fact, it's not bad at all as long as you exercise and whatnot. The fat you speak of is something your body needs, and getting 90g of it in a day won't necessarily be bad.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Last edited by ACG at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by ACG
Ah, the amount of horrible advice in this thread is entertaining. Eating a crapload of ANYTHING isn't going to be good for losing weight. Peanut butter IS GOOD FOR YOU though. It might not be the most nutritious food on the planet, but it certainly isn't bad for you. It has good fats, and good protein.

"Good fat' is just a ridiculous marketing gimmick to protect fatty foods like butter. Good fat is just fat that isn't quite as artery clogging and cholesterol raising as say, lard or hydrogenated fat."

That's not really true. All fat (apart from trans/hydrogenated fat of course) is essential for you. 'Good fat' is not labelled at all like you said. I mean, the only BAD fat for sure is hydrogenated fat, all other fat is good (there are tons of uses for it in the body). If you take in a reasonable amount, it's not going to clog your arteries or raise your cholesterol necessarily.

+1

Most of the people in this thread don't know jack about nutrition.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
bad fo' sho'
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Page 1 of 2