so here's the audition requirments for the music minor program at GA Tech

Jazz

• 1. Performance of 5 chromatically adjacent major scales, two octaves (when possible) with arpeggios, 2 Dorian Modes, 2 Mixolydian Modes, and 2 diminished (whole/half step), memorized.

• 2. Two etudes or solos of contrasting style selected by the applicant from published literature written specifically for the instrument to be performed.

• 3. Improvisation to be determined by the jazz faculty.

And then there's guitar

• 1. A minimum of 5 chromatically adjacent major scales, two octaves (when possible) with arpeggios, memorized.

• 2. Two etudes or solos of contrasting style selected by the applicant from published literature written specifically for the instrument to be performed.

im not quite sure which one i need to be applying to. i figure the guitar one means classical guitar which is not what im interested in, so i assume i should apply to the Jazz program, but maybe not. i'll contanct the school, but i thought i ask UG too.
Always contact the school and gey all the information you need, write a list of questions down you wanna ask them. Id go for the jazz one
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Thanks guys jazz was what i am looking into
Also, can i have just a few examples that would satisfy the second element?

(• 2. Two etudes or solos of contrasting style selected by the applicant from published literature written specifically for the instrument to be performed. )

Im a pretty capable player i just would like some examples to get focus my attention more in the right area. I am able to manage my way through Cliffs of Dover fairly comfortably. Would that fly as jazz? Thanks.
Quote by MSFoSS
Thanks guys jazz was what i am looking into
Also, can i have just a few examples that would satisfy the second element?

(• 2. Two etudes or solos of contrasting style selected by the applicant from published literature written specifically for the instrument to be performed. )

Im a pretty capable player i just would like some examples to get focus my attention more in the right area. I am able to manage my way through Cliffs of Dover fairly comfortably. Would that fly as jazz? Thanks.

i dunno, it might. but just try finding some jazz standards and playing those.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

The second element is referring to a classical etude. Don't think any rock would fly.
12 fret fury
For this I highly recommend getting an instructor. A lot of the guitar instructors from these schools will do private lessons on the side, and if you can not find one of those, Find a guitar student from the school who has already gone through this. Have them work on everything included in your audition with you. You want this stuff to be perfect before you go in.
Quote by Punk Poser
The second element is referring to a classical etude. Don't think any rock would fly.

e·tude (td, -tyd)
n. Music
1. A piece composed for the development of a specific point of technique.
2. A composition featuring a point of technique but performed because of its artistic merit.

etude just means a tune that is hard and tied to a specific genre. This genre doesn't need to be classical

this song is so ****en' hard! Do it! I'm about to do it for my AMEB CPM Exam. Which means you can find it in those exam books :P
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=4O_YMLDvvnw&feature=related In the book, its written that you have to play 7 notes in a quaver (like a triplet, but with 7.. sectoplet?)

also, you should get backup musicians, like a drummer and a pianist or a bass player, even singers are good. In my exam its compulsory for me to have backup musicians in at least one piece.
Last edited by mdwallin at Jan 18, 2009,