Page 1 of 2
i was just curious, are there solid state amps that just sounds awesome? like as good as a tube amp

reason im asking this is because tube amps are usually heavier and u have to change tubes and is more expensive..all that stuff
line 6 vetta
line 6 flextone
roland JC-120 (for cleans)

that's mostly it as far as i can think. but they're all as expensive and as heavy as tube amps.

changing tubes isnt much of a bind, and if tube amps break theyre often an easier fix than SS/modelling amps
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
line 6 vetta
line 6 flextone
roland JC-120 (for cleans)

that's mostly it as far as i can think. but they're all as expensive and as heavy as tube amps.

changing tubes isnt much of a bind, and if tube amps break theyre often an easier fix than SS/modelling amps

line 6 really??
inexistant

however i like the marshall valvestate 8080
Ivan!

Proghead+Metalhead= ME

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

URL=http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ar gentina
well, there are some solid states that do sound just as awesome as you'd expect a tube amp to sound, but it's still a totally different sound.

that's another misconception that needs to be stamped out much like the "overdrive pedals are for tube amps!!" thing - tube amps aren't indefinitely better than solid states, they just sound different, and it just so happens that most people prefer tube. then companies like marshall make crap solid states aimed at beginners with more money than sense, and solid state gets a bad rep. It's all about which you prefer.

^^ Yes, line 6 are a very good company. The line 6 hate on this forum is from noobs who think a brand name reflects how good something is, and see long-standing active members saying "the line 6 spider is a piece of crap" so they go around saying "line 6 is crap" to try to look like they know what they are talknig about it. It's cute, in a pathetic sort of way. In a few words, i'm saying the solid state spider amps suck, but the rest of the stuff by line 6 is generally very good.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by Antimage27
line 6 really??

hell yea

marshall are great at overdrive, but when they do it on the cheap (MG) it's horrid

line6 are great at modelling, but when they do it on the cheap (spider) it's horrid

the vetta is helluva expensive though, the flextone is moderate though, super versatile too.

i think the line 6 HD147 might be SS too
Quote by Blompcube
well, there are some solid states that do sound just as awesome as you'd expect a tube amp to sound, but it's still a totally different sound.

that's another misconception that needs to be stamped out much like the "overdrive pedals are for tube amps!!" thing - tube amps aren't indefinitely better than solid states, they just sound different, and it just so happens that most people prefer tube. then companies like marshall make crap solid states aimed at beginners with more money than sense, and solid state gets a bad rep. It's all about which you prefer.

kinda like my MG100DFX ??
honestly how bad does it sound compare to other amps around the same price
Quote by Antimage27
line 6 really??

Just cuz it's Line 6 doesn't mean its bad. Line 6 SPIDERS are bad, not Vettas or Flextones. I've played on a Line 6 before, I'm pretty sure it was a Flextone, and it sounded pretty good.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by Antimage27
kinda like my MG100DFX ??
honestly how bad does it sound compare to other amps around the same price

i actually like the clean channel on the MG, combined with some good quality distortion and overdrive pedals it can sound pretty good, but you could do much better for the price with a tube amp - not just because it's tube, but because you generally get a better sound for your money from tube amps at this price range which is why everyone will tell you to go tube instead of solid state.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Isn't there some solid state Ampeg's that sound quite good from what I've heard?
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by xwearesinking
AxeFX anyone?

YES!

that can be seriously convincing on the net, not sure about live.

can it be used live? into the PA right?
Marshall Valvestate, slightly.

I have an MG but I wish I bought a Valvestate.

I couldn't find a valvestate amp at Guitar Center, so I bought an MG and then went to Sam Ash a few weeks later to see a Valvestate half stack sitting right there.

Don't get me wrong, I like my MG, but a Valvestate would be even better.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by Blompcube

^^ Yes, line 6 are a very good company. The line 6 hate on this forum is from noobs who think a brand name reflects how good something is, and see long-standing active members saying "the line 6 spider is a piece of crap" so they go around saying "line 6 is crap" to try to look like they know what they are talknig about it. It's cute, in a pathetic sort of way. In a few words, i'm saying the solid state spider amps suck, but the rest of the stuff by line 6 is generally very good.

Not true, necessarily. The line six POD seems to be a decent multiFX unit, but the line six all-tube amps i've played (spider valve) are just as bad as the solid state spiders.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
YES!

Yes.

The Axe-Fx is uniquely suited to excel in the studio or in a live environment. With the choice to have power amp, microphone and cabinet simulations either enabled or disabled on a per patch basis, the unit works equally well in a direct recording environment, as part of a rack rig with power amp and cabinets, in the loop of an amp or as dedicated effects processor. The Axe-Fx also has a mode optimized for use with Atomic Amplifiers’ Reactor Series amps.

From the Fractal Audio website.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
like the others said, marshall valvestates are pretty good as long as you dont turn the treble past 5, im not sure why, but they have a ridiculous amount of it. roland jazz chorus, the ampeg ibanezpsycho has, most good modeling amps/preamps (line 6 POD's, AxeFX, line 6 vetta, etc.,..) lets see, most of the old school randalls are pretty badass, the list goes on
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
YES!

yep, plug it into a good tube power amp and you pretty much have the most versatile rig in existence, all while having great tone as well.

It's just expensive, but I mean... $1500+$1000 for a VHT2/50/2 isn't TOO bad considering what you're getting...
The Sunn Beta Lead is pretty awesome.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Ampeg VH-140C
Line 6 Vetta
Line 6 HD147
Fender Cyber-Twin Amp
Lab 5
Roland JC-120
H&K makes one as well but the name escapes me

and then ibanezpyscho comes and saves the day!

look into them old school ampegs. hell i was going to buy one, but decided on a 5150 instead.
There's many solid state amps that sound awesome, but they can't replicate valve breakup.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
and then ibanezpyscho comes and saves the day!

look into them old school ampegs. hell i was going to buy one, but decided on a 5150 instead.

And Tisk tisk you should have gotten both simply amazing together man simply amazing...
Quote by Yngwi3
There's many solid state amps that sound awesome, but they can't replicate valve breakup.

also tubes are more dynamic to your playing, while solid states have more stable sound, thats why even the best SS modelers can't emulate perfecly a tube amp, they usually just make the sound a bit warmer.
The Line6 Vetta and HD147 sound bad. They do. Sorry to burst your bubble.

The absolute best are any of the Tech 21 amps and Sansamps. Period.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Hughes and Kettner used to make a SS model that could reproduce a tube sound to the point all but the most rained ear would know it wasn't a tube.
JMF Electronics, an older company bought my Dean Markley in the 80's, made a pretty sweet line of "Spectra" amps. I've got an old Spectra 125 and the clean channel is to die for.
Quote by ivan_2894
inexistant

however i like the marshall valvestate 8080

ignorance.

there are plenty of good SS amps. B.B. King even uses solid state amps every once in a while because Fender's Deluxe Reverbs started sucking when CBS bought Fender.

Roland JCs are awesome amps. plus, you don't have to deal with reliability issues like you have with some tube amps.

there are pros and cons to every amp. if there was not, then there wouldn't be different kinds of amps. for example, the Fender Twin Reverb is an awesome amp for cleans, but it need lots of volume to hit it's true potential. plus, the maintenance that comes with tubes can be difficult on a novice guitar player.

whereas, say, a Randall SS head has basically the same tone down or up, and beginner's don't have to worry about maintenance since solid state amps don't need hat much of it.

when it all boils down to it, tone is subjective. some people tend like solid state amps, some like Tubes. even players with similar tastes, like Zakk Wylde and Dimebag. dime used SS most of his career, whole Zakk used Marshall heads exclusively.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by hunter73135
Hughes and Kettner used to make a SS model that could reproduce a tube sound to the point all but the most rained ear would know it wasn't a tube.

Reindeer? What?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by xwearesinking
Reindeer? What?
Hilarious.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord

The absolute best are any of the Tech 21 amps and Sansamps. Period.

i agree that tech 21 and sansamps are nicer sounding but i dont not think the vetta or the HD sound bad.high end line 6 amps are a huge bang for your buck with 128 effects and settings. they sound a little digitl but nothing like a spider. imo tech 21 is the best as it has no digital parts just transistors.
I always want to call the H&K one Ace Ventura
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Sguit
also tubes are more dynamic to your playing, while solid states have more stable sound, thats why even the best SS modelers can't emulate perfecly a tube amp, they usually just make the sound a bit warmer.

Very true.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Van Noord

i disagree, vetta's are rather righteous sounding
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
If your ganna buy any SS amp expecting to sound as awesome as any tube amp or better Pitchard SS amps are the best or any AMT pedals for that matter.

Tech 21 offers good toned SS amps aswell better than alot of tube amps, but it aint tube tone.
Its more for Jazzy players.
Page 1 of 2