Hi guys. I'm new to the guitar and these forums. Don't be too hard on me

Well, I'm a relatively new guitar player, only been playing for four months. I'm able to play the intros to many songs as Youtube only seems to give tutorials for intros to famous songs.

I notice that many songs are fingered improperly sometimes, but I am finding it hard to know where to place my fingers when I'm reading tabs. I don't have Guitar Pro if that tells you where you fingers should be placed.

This seems to be the only problem I have as of now. I'm wondering if you just wing it and try to find out how to finger from trial and error, because that's what I have been doing.

Thanks in advance
You need to learn some more basic, general things about the guitar like chords. A hell of a lot of riffs and intros are, at their heart, simply based around common chord shapes. If you learn them then you'll be able to recognise them in the tabs you learn.

Also, a simple rule to follow is "play it the easiest way". Guitarists don't tend to like to make things awkard for themselves, if there's an easier way to play something there's a good chance that's the way it was played.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
depends on the song,but normally you should have index at the start of the notes and pink 4 frets fromit, soemwhere around there.if its chords well practice the chords.if its notes,experiment fingerings.if theyre say 5th fret one on G string one on B string then use same finger for both
Most of the time, where to place your fingers while looking at tabs is pretty easy to figure out, but occasionally there is that one that is kind of awkward. I generally just experiment around with the awkward ones, and see which way is the most comfortable and creates the best sound.
I've never encountered this problem, but a great example is Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers. I always played (when i used to play that sort of stuff) the intro moving my fingers. Now i've seen people use a Bar chord and i couldn;t tell the difference in sound.

So what i'm saying is, as long as your playing the right notes, IMHO the fingering doesn;t matter.

On the other hand, if you want to play 1000 notes a second like those shredding wankers, then maybe fingering is an issue. Its all about efficiency.
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Try the song Good Riddance by Time of Your Life, if you don't already know it yet. It's a simple introduction picking/arpeggio sequence which changes to strumming (i think... at least that's how I'm learning to play it). It uses only four chords as well, G, Cadd9, D and Em, and the chord changes are quite easy. Use http://www.justinguitar.com as well, it helped me in the fingering, now i just position my hand as i would play the chord and pick/strum.
I'm a beginner too, :P Been playing just over a month and a half now by my reckoning and it's awesome!

edit: speeeling
Last edited by cHokemeh at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by baylewis
I've never encountered this problem, but a great example is Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers. I always played (when i used to play that sort of stuff) the intro moving my fingers. Now i've seen people use a Bar chord and i couldn;t tell the difference in sound.

So what i'm saying is, as long as your playing the right notes, IMHO the fingering doesn;t matter.

However the intro to that song is all chords and chord shapes, therefore it's a lot easier to play it that way, and you'll spot the easiest way to play it quicker if you can spot those shapes.

If you're moving your fingers about on a song like that then you're playing it "wrong" because you're making things far more difficult than they need to be.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by baylewis

On the other hand, if you want to play 1000 notes a second like those shredding wankers, then maybe fingering is an issue. Its all about efficiency.

Under the Bridge is an awesome example. When I learned the song I learned it as the chord shapes and just picked the right strings of the chords but I have heard covers where they do it different and it either sounds the same or gives it a unique feel.

Anyways, answering the question, the great thing about playing guitar is that there are hundreds of ways to play things so just play what feels right to you and whatever sounds good to you. And try to learn more helpful and basic things like chords, scales, and just your knowledge of the notes on the fretboard. If you memorize the notes of the fretboard, you will have the key to all the opportunities of guitar.
Gear:
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender G-Dec Junior Amp
ZOOM G1x Pedal