Hey,
Just a question for you lot, is there any, good, explorer (or roughly) explorer shaped guitars availible for £500-£1500?

Have seen that epiphone futura thing, the gibson shred-x, the jackson kelly and the ltd ex-350 (would love one of those, they are however, stupidly rare).

Customs are most likely out of the question (as you can probably tell by the price range, lol)

Any ideas?
Cheers
Above post may or may not be true.
i no dean do an explorer shaped guitar, i think its called the ZX.
u can get a trem on most deans
www.rondomusic.com has some with 6-7strings, EMGs and LFR for around 600 american dollars.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
you can definitely afford an ESP DJ600 (called the EX Dan Jacobs now). Putting the ridiculously extreme graphic aside, it's got alot of cool hardware, including EMGs, Original Floyd Rose, and an afterburner. I have one and it's awesome, and it's only 1200 USD new.
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
A Jacksom Kelly? KE-3 or KE-2.

Sorry just read the post. you can have the shops order one for you if you're interested in any of them. The downside is you can't try them before you buy.
The cliched "rig" Signature:

ESP LTD EC-1000VBL (EMG-ed)
Dean Cadillac SilverBurst Left-handed
Boss GT-8
Roland Micro-Cube
Line 6 FlexTone III XL
Levy's straps
Last edited by crimson moon at Jan 14, 2009,
Well, a kelly is the first thing that came to my mind. Maybe look at the Ibanez Sam Totman sig? It's not an explorer, but to me, an Iceman looks just as cool! The crappy trem on it can be swapped for an OFR. I usually don't recommend it because it's pricey with the trem swap, but if you really want something with an unusual shape, it's an option.

Prepare for ugly:
http://www.framus.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?submenuID=21340&katID=11043&cl=EN
I don't know how good the trem is, so this is risky. Another thing is that the guitar has been discontinued this month, but there should still be some available from online retailers and some in stores. The Framuses I've tried so far were great, but whether this guitar's trem is reliable I don't really know.
What is nice about the guitar is the unique pickup configuration with both a single sized humbucker and a single coil at the neck. It'd cost you between 900 and 1000 quid.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by Chrisiphone
LTD EX-401DX

http://www.espguitars.com/news/news.html

Scroll down a bit, coming soon from NAMM.

That thing's beastly, I'll be on the lookout for it!

Quote by MadMudgeN
you can definitely afford an ESP DJ600 (called the EX Dan Jacobs now). Putting the ridiculously extreme graphic aside, it's got alot of cool hardware, including EMGs, Original Floyd Rose, and an afterburner. I have one and it's awesome, and it's only 1200 USD new.

It's a nice one, don't mind the blood splatters paintjob (more "blood poured on" actually, lol) Not too sure though.

Quote by crimson moon
A Jacksom Kelly? KE-3 or KE-2.

Sorry just read the post. you can have the shops order one for you if you're interested in any of them. The downside is you can't try them before you buy.

Thanks for your input man, the bolt-on neck kind-of puts me off, at times.
Quote by TheQuailman
Well, a kelly is the first thing that came to my mind. Maybe look at the Ibanez Sam Totman sig? It's not an explorer, but to me, an Iceman looks just as cool! The crappy trem on it can be swapped for an OFR. I usually don't recommend it because it's pricey with the trem swap, but if you really want something with an unusual shape, it's an option.

Prepare for ugly:
http://www.framus.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?submenuID=21340&katID=11043&cl=EN
I don't know how good the trem is, so this is risky. Another thing is that the guitar has been discontinued this month, but there should still be some available from online retailers and some in stores. The Framuses I've tried so far were great, but whether this guitar's trem is reliable I don't really know.
What is good nice the guitar is the unique pickup configuration with both a single sized humbucker and a single coil at the neck. It'd cost you between 900 and 1000 quid.

Cheers again, mate.

Mmmm, Sam Totman's is ok, not my cup of tea though really. I may also get branded a dragonforce fan, and get laughed at by my guitar peers
xD

Quite like that framus, will have to look into it.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Idk but i can tell you not to get the shred-x. That's the one with the kahler right? No locking nut? Recipe for disaster imo. Locking tuners =/= replacement for locking nut.

Ahh yes, I've heard this before, it was a bit out out my price range anyway, since only 100 were made (as with all gibson's GOTMs).

Quote by CarbonDeath
http://www.rondomusic.com/product2284.html

As stated before. It has an LFR, but everything else is great.

Looks quite like an iceman, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Do Rondo ship to the UK?

Cheers to both of you
i dont reccommend the dean shred-x explorer. its for little to no tuning stability and the factory tremolo is far from good.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

whats wrong with dragonforce btw?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
i dont reccommend the dean shred-x explorer. its for little to no tuning stability and the factory tremolo is far from good.

whats wrong with dragonforce btw?

It's a Gibson Shred-X, and it has a kahler, regarded by many people as the finest tremolo out there.

Dragonforce are fairly crap. Have you heard them live? Even though Herman Li has quite a bit of talent in the studio, they just can't pull it off live.

Maybe it's his sound enhancer pedal
You're budget is $1900 USD.
You can get a Warmoth custom for less. I'm doing the same, with an Explorer for $1139 USD.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
You're budget is $1900 USD.
You can get a Warmoth custom for less. I'm doing the same, with an Explorer for $1139 USD.

Cheers, the main problem with that is I'm truely hopeless at building anything xD
Even what I draw pictures it doesn't turn out like I envisioned
they built it for you in the factory. not a bad idea if you want to spend that much. otherwise, the jackson ke2 is the usa kelly, set neck, better tremolo, better pickups, better.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Quote by kurney
Cheers, the main problem with that is I'm truely hopeless at building anything xD
Even what I draw pictures it doesn't turn out like I envisioned

You just have to solder and screw in... screws.

They build the body, neck, whatever.
You just have to solder the electronics and screw the parts together.

http://www.warmoth.com/
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by CarbonDeath
they built it for you in the factory. not a bad idea if you want to spend that much. otherwise, the jackson ke2 is the usa kelly, set neck, better tremolo, better pickups, better.

Quote by Justice4AllOne
You just have to solder and screw in... screws.

They build the body, neck, whatever.
You just have to solder the electronics and screw the parts together.

http://www.warmoth.com/

Thanks you guys, I'll certainly look in to it, the choice they have on there is sick!

Thanks for eveyone's posting, it's helped greatly, I think the new LTD. ex series is winning slightly atm though
Warmoth is a good option for this,that or some other custom company.From Warmoth you could get an explorer with an original FR, a custom or rare finish,a unique body and neck wood,custom inlays,custom neck profile,and the pup configuration of your choice. As long as you don't mind bolt on necks (I actually prefer them) their stuff is high quality from what I've seen/played/own.For your budget you could walk away with a one of a kind bad ass explorer if you're willing to assemble it or pay the extra to have someone qualified do it for you.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.