Iceman w/ emgs
fender fmdsp65
Boss MetalZone
Fender Cybertwin
Epi LP plus top
Zoom gfx4
Death metal (sounds amazing through bass amp)
ibanez weeping demon
Last edited by donwuzhere69 at Jan 22, 2009,
Not too bad, a few pointers:

-Where are the Drums? bring the drum tracks WAY up
-bass sounds awesome but its devouring the whole mix. bring it down
-guitars are way too scooped and sound pretty weak, use less gain, raise the mids and it'll be awesome.
-the guitar performances are sloppy in places.
-solo sounds pretty good.
-also, there seems to be some "pumping" artifacts going on, over-compression possibly?

the main issue is the serious lack of a Kick drum in that mix, bass down, drums up. EQ the bass to make some space for the kick. also, high pass the guitars to at least 100Hz to make some room for the kick and bass. in general, tidy up the low end.

Overall, your within tweaking distance of a sweet mix
Last edited by TheDriller at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by TheDriller
Not too bad, a few pointers:

-Where are the Drums? bring the drum tracks WAY up
-bass sounds awesome but its devouring the whole mix. bring it down
-guitars are way too scooped and sound pretty weak, use less gain, raise the mids and it'll be awesome.
-the guitar performances are sloppy in places.
-solo sounds pretty good.
-also, there seems to be some "pumping" artifacts going on, over-compression possibly?

the main issue is the serious lack of a Kick drum in that mix, bass down, drums up. EQ the bass to make some space for the kick. also, high pass the guitars to at least 100Hz to make some room for the kick and bass. in general, tidy up the low end.

Overall, your within tweaking distance of a sweet mix

wow thanks man, helped alot,
i do gotta turn the bass down after the intro, and find a way to get the drums up without sounding distorted, so im working on that, and i hadnt realized the guitars got so scooped until everything was done and i was too lazy to go back to mixing, but yea i do gotta do everything u said, good ears man, ill be sure to let u know when i got everything tidied up,
Iceman w/ emgs
fender fmdsp65
Boss MetalZone
Fender Cybertwin
Epi LP plus top
Zoom gfx4
ibanez weeping demon
Cool,

first off, and i'm sure you already know this, but the source sound is essential to get right.
if the kick drum sounds weak going onto the tape (hard drive) then it'll sound weak in the mix.
listening to the track again, the drummer seems to have trouble hitting consistantly. kicks kinda wobble all over the place, snare is shakey, almost like he's not sure of how to handle the beat.
get him hitting more consistantly.

with everything else its a matter of EQing each element so they all sit together nicely. if the kick and bass are conflicting then find the root frequency of the kick and make a small cut at that same frequency in the bass. remove some low end from the guitars so their not eating up the bass's place in the mix.

with compression, pay attention to the attack and release parameters, too fast of an attack will kill the punchyness of a drum, too slow and the transients will be peaking through too much.

always avoid that "pumping" sound. thats a sign of over-agressive compression/limiting.

if you'd like i can have a go at mixing for ya, i'm always looking for material to practice on.
PM me about it if your interested
It's not a bad start - Not great. But it's alot better than my first mixes were.

The first thing I notice was the bass, sounds cool - But it's way too loud. And like the others said; it could be 'competing' with the kick drum, for that same place in the sound spectrum. Find the frequency of the kick drum and cut that a bit frequency in the bass track.

The 'pumping' sound the others were on about is also rather annoying. But shouldn't be to hard to fix.

Your playing is pretty good, if not a little sloppy places.
And the guitar sound was a little weak, toy around with EQ a bit there.

The drum playing lacked energy I think, sounded very lazy. I think it should pick up pace a bit somewhere, like; Keep the main riff with the laid back drumming. Then really get some energy going with the drums in the chorus or solo's or something. That'll make it a bit more interesting as a listener.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Quote by Carl6661
It's not a bad start - Not great. But it's alot better than my first mixes were.

The first thing I notice was the bass, sounds cool - But it's way too loud. And like the others said; it could be 'competing' with the kick drum, for that same place in the sound spectrum. Find the frequency of the kick drum and cut that a bit frequency in the bass track.

The 'pumping' sound the others were on about is also rather annoying. But shouldn't be to hard to fix.

Your playing is pretty good, if not a little sloppy places.
And the guitar sound was a little weak, toy around with EQ a bit there.

The drum playing lacked energy I think, sounded very lazy. I think it should pick up pace a bit somewhere, like; Keep the main riff with the laid back drumming. Then really get some energy going with the drums in the chorus or solo's or something. That'll make it a bit more interesting as a listener.

thanks man im playing around with it trying to get the best sound i can, and i might just redo the drums, i did them on a keyboard so its hard to put feeling into the playing :/
Iceman w/ emgs
fender fmdsp65
Boss MetalZone
Fender Cybertwin
Epi LP plus top
Zoom gfx4
ibanez weeping demon