Poll: Should I sell? What should I ask for? What should I get?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should I sell? What should I ask for? What should I get?
Yes, you should sell it.
14 32%
No.
13 30%
$300 is fair
10 23%
$300 is too much
5 11%
Get a Firebird
8 18%
Get a PRS
6 14%
Get a Telecaster
7 16%
Get a Strat
6 14%
Get a new hollowbody
6 14%
Buy some hookers
19 43%
Voters: 44.
I was wondering how much I should ask for my LP goldtop. I was thinking $300, it has a small gash near the input jack.

And as for what I'm gonna replace it with, I was thinking either a strat, Firebird, or a PRS. What do you guys think? I would like something with the strings spaced out more, a smoother neck, and maybe a 5-way switch.

EDIT: I'll probably be selling it on Craigslist.
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

Last edited by OzarkMDaredevil at Jan 14, 2009,
If your not happy with it then sell it. what year is it? and how big is the mark near the jack?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
If you sell it I will bash your skull in.

They discontinued those things.

Damn shame too, they sounded amazing IMO.

Keep it. If you really must replace it though, get the strat or the PRS.

Also, $300 isn't fair. $350 or $400.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 71-73
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 1-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-5
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jan 14, 2009,
Is it one of the old Korean Epis with the Gibson-made pups? If so, don't sell it EVER. Those things are amazing for what they costed back in the day. If it's just some generic Epi with a golden finish, you might as well sell it if you can do so for a good price.

By the way, what music do you play and what amp do you have?

▲ ▲

Last edited by OzarkMDaredevil at Jan 14, 2009,
It seems like it's fitting. Almost as much as a strat would be. The Goldtop is discontinued, keep it.

I wouldn't sell it, but if you did, you should definitely get a PRS. One of the highest quality guitars I've ever played IMO
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
I think what needs to be asked, is what makes you want to sell it? what is it lacking that you want? this is imperitive if we need to recommend a new guitar for you.
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
Quote by R.I.P.Jimi
I think what needs to be asked, is what makes you want to sell it? what is it lacking that you want? this is imperitive if we need to recommend a new guitar for you.

I said a bit at the top. IT just doesn't get quite the range of sound I like. And I like how I can 'control' the strat's neck more. And the LP just doesn't get the bluesy sound, or quite the clean tone I like from something like the Strat or the Nashville Tele. And does the LP have jumbo frets. I've played guitars with jumbo frets and larger frets, and they were a lot easier to play in my opinion.

Thanks for all your help here guys!

▲ ▲

that helps alot more, and it seems like you've answered your own question, strat or tele. but when you tested these guitars, what amp were you using? Cause your amp might not be capable of the tones you would like....no?
Quote by Mister.Y

Quote by R.I.P.Jimi
that helps alot more, and it seems like you've answered your own question, strat or tele. but when you tested these guitars, what amp were you using? Cause your amp might not be capable of the tones you would like....no?

Whenever I try out guitars, I always play on an amp ****tier than mine, or the same as mine. So I can usually tell if I would be able to get that specific tone.

▲ ▲

oh, well in that case it seems like you want a strat. a good choice.
Quote by Mister.Y

If it really is the Epi '56 Reissue Goldtop with the cream P-90s, it's not a really recent Chinese-made one and it's in decent condition, I'd buy it right this second if you could ship it securely to the UK. I ***ing adore P-90 equipped Goldtops and they're becoming a pain in the arse to buy over here, most shops don't have any now and the few that do have realised they're getting rare over here and have put the prices up.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Jan 14, 2009,
I'd trade my RR3 for it :/
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Get a tele. imo, teles are more versitile than strats becasue they don't have a super bright (almost annoying) tone. They also have better necks and a more hard rock tone. Believe me, I own an American Strat and a Mexican Tele.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Pencil Man
Get a tele. imo, teles are more versitile than strats becasue they don't have a super bright (almost annoying) tone.
I... what? Tele's bridge tone is brighter than a Strat's.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Alright thanks guys. I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell it.

But how much should I ask fore it? Considering there is no generic pick guard, and there is a 1.5 inch long gash above the input jack?

Also, I would like to get a souped up 2 pup Firebird at my local shop, but I'm worried I would be selling my LP to get something like another LP.......

▲ ▲

Please don't sell it. Or at elast sell it to me if you do.

If you sell it to someone; $350-$400 seems fair since their discontinued.

If you sell it to me; $200-$250.

As for the Firebird, if your worried about it being similar, just go there with the goldtop and A/B them.

Quote by necrosis1193
It seems like it's fitting. Almost as much as a strat would be. The Goldtop is discontinued, keep it.

You sure?
A local store here still has that exact model.

Quote by Pencil Man
Get a tele. imo, teles are more versitile than strats becasue they don't have a super bright (almost annoying) tone. They also have better necks and a more hard rock tone. Believe me, I own an American Strat and a Mexican Tele.

But they look like shovels...
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
You sure?
A local store here still has that exact model.

http://epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=50&CollectionID=6

Unfortunately, yes. It's not on Guitar Center or Musicians Friend anymore, I get a feeling that it's going to be one of the knocked-down items at the clearance sale at GC this weekend, but that has the flipside of them being on clearance.

But yeah, there are a bunch of discontinued models in my local shops too, but sadly, Gibson did decide to make Epiphone pull the plug on the goldtop.

Quote by necrosis1193
http://epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=50&CollectionID=6

Unfortunately, yes. It's not on Guitar Center or Musicians Friend anymore, I get a feeling that it's going to be one of the knocked-down items at the clearance sale at GC this weekend, but that has the flipside of them being on clearance.

But yeah, there are a bunch of discontinued models in my local shops too, but sadly, Gibson did decide to make Epiphone pull the plug on the goldtop.

The P90s are ugly as hell anyhow, they ruin the otherwise nice guitar.
Quote by Pencil Man
Get a tele. imo, teles are more versitile than strats becasue they don't have a super bright (almost annoying) tone. They also have better necks and a more hard rock tone.

Tone; ...Wait, what? It's a known fact a tele is brighter than a strat...

Feel; That's preferential and not fact. As for the tone, again, I'm not sure where that's coming from. I A/B'd tons of strats and teles while shopping for what ended up as my strat, and neither has a tone that's better or worse for hard rock than the other.

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
The P90s are ugly as hell anyhow, they ruin the otherwise nice guitar.

If you mean visually; I suppose, but I'll take tone over looks any day.

If you mean tonally; SHUN! SHUN THE NON-BELIEVER! SHUN! *waves gun aimlessly, missing like an Indiana Jones nazi*

Quote by necrosis1193

If you mean visually; I suppose, but I'll take tone over looks any day.

If you mean tonally; SHUN! SHUN THE NON-BELIEVER! SHUN! *waves gun aimlessly, missing like an Indiana Jones nazi*

I have no idea tone wise, they are just to ugly for me to try out
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
I have no idea tone wise, they are just to ugly for me to try out

...Wait, you didn't try a guitar because of how it looked?

And again, SHUN! SHUN THE NON-BELIEVER! SHUN!

Seriously, even if their not for your playing, give one a try while your local shop has one; even when I tried it for metal, despite being a single-coil guitar, it roared.

Quote by necrosis1193
...Wait, you didn't try a guitar because of how it looked?

And again, SHUN! SHUN THE NON-BELIEVER! SHUN!

Seriously, even if their not for your playing, give one a try while your local shop has one; even when I tried it for metal, despite being a single-coil guitar, it roared.

Oh well...

No, if a guitar is butt ugly I won't try it out.
Since I never buy anything anyhow it doesn't really matter.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Oh well...

No, if a guitar is butt ugly I won't try it out.
Since I never buy anything anyhow it doesn't really matter.

Aw come on, it's not that dreadful in-person. And agreed on the buying new thing. Unless it's a clearance thing IMO.

Quote by necrosis1193
Aw come on, it's not that dreadful in-person. And agreed on the buying new thing. Unless it's a clearance thing IMO.

I held the Goldtop with P90s in my hands and no, it looked like an infection
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
I held the Goldtop with P90s in my hands and no, it looked like an infection

Personally, I think the pick guard makes it look 100x worse. It's a beautiful guitar, it just takes some time getting used to the looks. And the fact that it feels like you're hanging a very pregnant woman around your neck.

▲ ▲

What the hell are you all smoking? Goldtop LP with double cream P-90s and a cream pickguard... 's perfect.
*Agrees with Flibble on this matter*